Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Calling all E30 experts, need your help to mod an E30 cabrio.

I just bought an E30 cabrio and it needs some work. I've been modding my E46 by buying parts from the U.S. and would like to get parts for the E30 locally, if possible. I would like your suggestions since you know E30s well as to what's a decent brand and the place to get them.

The cabrio has the following immediate issues:
- muffler is shot, so I might as well get a high flowing and nice sounding muffler
- needs tires so might as well get 16" or 17" rims and tires instead of spending money on 14"s

Later, I also need to address the following:
- rides pretty high so lowering springs or coilovers will be needed
- leans too much so stronger sways and a front strut bar might be needed
- roof motor doesn't work
- antenna doesn't work
- needs a short shifter
- probably a CAI and MarkD chip after the all of the above are done

Thanks in advance for your input....
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Yup, I recommend a markD chip for sure.

I have 2 front fk springs for an e30 touring. I complained that mine were too low in the rear and they sent me ones for an e30 touring so it would be higher.

I have the rear ones but they are gonna be low
Old 11-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

rims:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43707
\__l_l-[-------------]-l_l__/
\____________________/
AmaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

Make it look like this! www.davelength.net/car/cabrio.html
Old 11-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

word that white car is pimp, was anyway....

3.0L stroker....mmmmmmmm!
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:37 PM   #6
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Yup, I recommend a markD chip for sure.

I have 2 front fk springs for an e30 touring. I complained that mine were too low in the rear and they sent me ones for an e30 touring so it would be higher.

I have the rear ones but they are gonna be low
Not sure if I understood you.... so the E30 touring springs are appropriate for cabrio? And you only have the fronts? If anyone has the springs for rear then we have a set and I'd definitely be interested.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Amaru, check your PM

M50E30, Thanks for that pic. I would love to make it look like that but we'll see where the budget takes me
Old 11-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Sorry I was at work and I was in a hurry when i typed that.

Ok, on all e30s The springs are the same (except iX), But with the different models you will get a different amount of Drop. Depending on the weight. (ie. 318i less drop, bcus its lighter. Touring/Cabrio More drop, bcus its heavier)

My car (E30 325i Sedan) sat really low in the rear, so they sent me a set of springs that were made for an e30 Touring(wagon). I only used the rears, bcus I like the front as it is. This braught the rear up a bit. .

Im guessin the springs for an e30 touring, either is longer, or has higher spring rates, since the touring is heavier in the rear.

Cabrios are a bit heavier, so springs for a touring should match up since they are both heavier than a sedan.

Thing is, I only have the fronts I didn't use. I do have a set of rears, but they were pretty low for me, and they are gonna be even lower for you, bcus of the wieght in the back.

Cabrio owners have used sedan/coupe srpings, they jus get more of a drop. Than they would if it was on a sedan/coupe.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Exhaust: Brullen.

Wheels: Your taste varies, but have a good hard look at the Kopi Alpina replicas (http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/wheels.htm). You'll find that almost every wheel will require spacers to work, but these don't, along with a few other notables (Ronal LS and Kosei K1 in 15", for instance).

Suspension: For moderate lowering (most cars you see), look into H&R Sport springs and Bilstein Sport dampers. Nicely controlled ride, good stance. If you want really low, the H&R Cup Kit will slam it, as well as the multiple coilover routes (Ground Control, H&R, KW, etc.). You may want to go with the coilovers just to get the right height, cabrios are tricky,

Sways: There are many setups available, such as Eibach, Ireland Engineering, RD, etc. There is a very good thread on R3VLimited on those (more on that site later).

Short Shifter: The Z4 3.0 rod is the way to go (no need for super-expensive kits like in the E46). Again, there is a very detailed thread on R3V about these.

CAI: No such thing, but a K&N Cone with a heatshield (Eric Lukas makes one, I can pass on contact info for him) will provide a great sound, if not much performance (the AFM is the bottleneck).

Chip: MarkD 91/93 or nothing.

Anyways, glad to see you've come over to the dark side, Josel. I highly recommend checking out www.r3vlimited.com, it's the largest collection of knowledgeable E30 guys out there. Flame wars are rampant, but the info is unbeatable.

Have fun!
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Thanks Jay for the info. Very helpful as usual
Old 11-10-2004, 10:27 PM   #11
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

what motor are you going with???
paul christians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #12
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Sorry I was at work and I was in a hurry when i typed that.

Ok, on all e30s The springs are the same (except iX), But with the different models you will get a different amount of Drop. Depending on the weight. (ie. 318i less drop, bcus its lighter. Touring/Cabrio More drop, bcus its heavier)

My car (E30 325i Sedan) sat really low in the rear, so they sent me a set of springs that were made for an e30 Touring(wagon). I only used the rears, bcus I like the front as it is. This braught the rear up a bit. .

Im guessin the springs for an e30 touring, either is longer, or has higher spring rates, since the touring is heavier in the rear.

Cabrios are a bit heavier, so springs for a touring should match up since they are both heavier than a sedan.

Thing is, I only have the fronts I didn't use. I do have a set of rears, but they were pretty low for me, and they are gonna be even lower for you, bcus of the wieght in the back.

Cabrio owners have used sedan/coupe srpings, they jus get more of a drop. Than they would if it was on a sedan/coupe.

Hey, how much do you want for the rears!!??? I might be looking for something extra low! i already have fronts that are low enaugh, but need the rear...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
Hey, how much do you want for the rears!!??? I might be looking for something extra low! i already have fronts that are low enaugh, but need the rear...
make an offer, hmmm I wont mind if it included one of those new fiberglass under steering cover.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #14
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
what motor are you going with???
No engine swaps planned (if that's what you meant)... Sticking with the stock 2.5L.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #15
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

^^check pm
\__l_l-[-------------]-l_l__/
\____________________/
AmaRu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: