Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-09-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

sunroof problems

hey everyone
this just happened not to long ago: my sunroof won't open up completely. It does the tilt thing fine, but when i try and make it open fully, it hesitates and stuggles. This either is a motor problem, or some of the parts fromt he sunroof itself. I noticed it when a buddy of mine and myself were about to light a....
uhm.... rolled cigarette... when we noticed the problem. (trying to figure out the problem while smoking was a really bad idea too) but asides that, doesn anyone have any info on what i could do?
RumRogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

i have this problem as well

it tilts fine

but then when you try and bring it all the way back it hardly even opens 1/4 of the way.....

help us
Old 11-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
bring it over, I'll fix it. I'm pretty much an expert with these sunroofs now... replaced and repaired so many.

First question... when you close the sunroof and holt the close button down.. does the motor stop when the sunroof is closed?.. or does the sunroof continue into tilt mode then stop?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

sorry, dont mean to hijack RumRogers but...

yes, the motor stops
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
Bruno
4th Gear Member

I have a sunroof cassette sitting in my basement if anyone needs one
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

hey justin cna u fix mine also the part right underneath the actualy roof got stuck back there and now it wont close al the way so u would have to take off the headlining and no on ?
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
VP M3 also has a sunroof cassette for sale. Where were you guys when I had to replace mine?

Slovania - Your motor is most likely fine, but double check it (process of elimination). Take off the sunroof motor cover, there are 3 allen screws there (possibly hex screws).. remove all three. Remember which one belongs where as one is longer. Try the button with the motor in your hand and see if the motor is getting stuck when it's opening or closing. When you hold it down count how long it takes before the motor stops when trying to open the sunroof. Before putting the motor back make sure it's positioned in the "closed" position.. (after pushing the button open and closed a few times you quickly figure out which position the sunroof should be in coordination with the motor).

If the motor is stopping then a little magnet in it which counts how many revolutions to go before starting or stopping the motor has broken off.. possible to repair, easier to just replace the motor.

If the motor is fine then the sunroof itself is getting stuck, which would be either the railing is bent or the metal rods which pull and push the sunroof are worn. Make sure your sunroof rails are all very well greased up too.. for some reason people like to clean this off.. (go figure)... it's difficult to do now since the sunroof won't open all the way, but in the tilt position you can at least spray some oil in there with an extension on the nozzle. Friction will cause the motor to stop too... (safety device to prevent anything from breaking... or from anything getting stuck/caught as the sunroof is closing)

If oiling / greasing up doesn't help then the easiest fix is to replace the entire sunroof cartridge. You can keep your old sunroof top since you just got it painted, and your current motor and switch and harness. If you need to do this I can help you out, I've done it quite a few times already.

///MsAniTy. The headliner will push back when you have the sunroof in the TILT position then you push it back. This will unhitch it from the sunroof itself... someone must've done this... if it goes too far back it will get stuck back there and is really tough to pull back out. The sunroof cassette actually blocks the bottom so even if you take the headliner out you won't be able to push it back as easily.. HOWEVER it is easier to pull at the opening with the headliner removed. And the quickest fix and by far the easiest solution? open the sunroof. then remove the moulding around the sunroof and the headliner... it just pulls right out.. it's rubber. (it surrounds the sunroof opening). When this is out the interior panel will slide more easily.. it's still far back there, but it will slide forward easier. Next... find a nice straight piece of road and no cops... speed up to a good 80KM/h and slam on the brakes... the headliner WILL come forward, usually around 3 or 4 inches out.. you can pull it forward the rest of the way with your hand. Push it all the way forward with the sunroof closed and it will hitch itself back on. Once it's hitched back, open the sunroof again and put the interior moulding back on. I've attempted this 3 times with the interior panel stuck back there and have successfully dislodged it 3 times... twice on my car, once on another car.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 AM   #8
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

Hey everyone,
i read the articles here, and a good buddy and myself have concluded that the motor is asobutely fine.
Thing is, were pretty sure its stuck on something. We could hear the motor trying real hard to slide it open, then it would stop. (possibly from too much pressure or some other scientific mechanical reason...)
And were pretty sure that it get stuck around one of the bends the belt loops around. Makes a crackly noise and everything. Toi avoid further damage to my sunroof, I just leave it be for now (a pity).
I think the rods being bent or worn out is definately a sound possibility.
So what will i need? Just the cassette? or some other stuff? and how hard is it to do?

Last edited by RumRogerz; 11-10-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

bbbbump
Old 11-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Miguel
...Delt Smash

replace with CF panel... lose top end weight.... winnar.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #11
SkycityBMW
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
replace with CF panel... lose top end weight.... winnar.

No way man . . . . you need a sunroof to look PIMP . . . .
Old 11-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

??
im quite confused
Old 11-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

ok... here's what you need to do before you get the cassette... (try to fix it)

1) tilt the sunroof
2) push the interior panel BACK.. don't push too far back, it'll get stuck back there.
3) remove the three bolts you see holding the sunroof to the cross bar.
4) get a good hex screwdriver and at the FRONT of the sunroof on the LEFT and RIGHT there are screws in there which must be removed. Be careful not to strip them (don't use a size too small!). When you look up in the crack with the roof tilted you'll see the screws I'm talking about.
5) now you can get out of the car and remove the sunroof panel

now have someone inside the car open and close the sunroof and watch from outside to see what is getting stuck... see if there is debris or anything on the track, any parts which need tightening, etc.... put it back together and have fun.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:27 AM   #14
RumRogerz
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
ok... here's what you need to do before you get the cassette... (try to fix it)

1) tilt the sunroof
2) push the interior panel BACK.. don't push too far back, it'll get stuck back there.
3) remove the three bolts you see holding the sunroof to the cross bar.
4) get a good hex screwdriver and at the FRONT of the sunroof on the LEFT and RIGHT there are screws in there which must be removed. Be careful not to strip them (don't use a size too small!). When you look up in the crack with the roof tilted you'll see the screws I'm talking about.
5) now you can get out of the car and remove the sunroof panel

now have someone inside the car open and close the sunroof and watch from outside to see what is getting stuck... see if there is debris or anything on the track, any parts which need tightening, etc.... put it back together and have fun.

dude although your plan sounds like just what i need, i have a problem with #1 and 2
why?
-Because my sunroof won't tilt anymore
-The interior panel is already back... thats right... the panel is back, and my sunroof is CLOSED. ****ed up eh?
-I bet ya its pushed too far back like you mentioned, cuz it ain't closin
-Blasted thing won't even open properly, the motor struggles, makes unpleasant sounds, and barley has effects on moving the sunroof; which means i cant get to any screws! ****ing german car...

...can't stay mad at it for too long..

So, i think im pretty screwed out of a sunroof for now. I have this suspension system to throw in, so all my money goes there
What really bothers me, is Budds is going to RAPE ME for fixing it when i get around to it. Ill spend more getting it fixed than it is to install a suspension system... SHEESH....
Old 11-11-2004, 07:28 AM   #15
Justin e36
---

ohhh!! .. you should've told me that your sunroof won't tilt anymore! your fix is easy.

there are two arms on either side of your sunroof which cause it to tilt.. the base of them is plastic. If you (or the motor) ever tries to make it tilt too much it'll break. Your motor still trys to tilt, right?.. but the sunroof itself doesn't move. Well this is what happened and the debris from the broken plastic footing is what's stopping it from opening.

I have a pair of brand new extra arms and footings if you need.. $40. It's around double that price from the dealership I'm told.

Anyway... good news. You can still get to the screws. Put the motor into TILT mode.. even though the sunroof doesn't move. But once it's in tilt mode you can PUSH it into tilt with your hand. So do this then stick something in the opening to keep the sunroof tilted.. (a wrench covered with a cloth or something)... you'll then be able to remove the screws from the front.

If this STILL gives you trouble then remove the 3 bolts from the back and you can again push it into tilt mode to get to those two screws on the front.

Once it's out you unsnap the old broken arms, place in the new ones... grease it up. And away you go!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: