Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-14-2004, 02:34 AM   #1
Gamite

Computer Help!!

After much searching and trying to solve this very annoying problem, I have no choice but to seek help elsewhere.

So here's the deal, computer is fine when using any other applications, including photoshop, rendering etc.

The problem happens when I play 3D games, specifically CS: Source and NFSU2.

I haven't had any problems with NHL 2005 and older games like the original counter strike. It seems like the games that push the computer harder.

So what happens in CS Source and NFSU2, is that the game either crashes to desktop (Rarely) but more often, the game just sorta freezes up and u can hear the sound looping. In NFS, the graphics turn all transparent, eg, I can see the undercar neon's through the body of the car. and it crashes too with the looping sound.

I tried memtest, my ram is ok, I updated sound, video and motherboard drivers, and updated bios. I tried turning off fast write in bios, but stilll no help.

What do you guys think?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:42 AM   #2
Jademonkey
2nd Gear Member

First check the obvious...
Does your computer meet the minumum requirements?
Maybe the games are too much for your video card?
Overheating?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:53 AM   #3
Gamite

hold on, I'll check the requirements right now..

Its a Geforce Ti4200, and no, its not overheating. No components are hot, I have pretty sufficient cooling.

Old 11-14-2004, 03:59 AM   #4
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
almost sure its video card drivers, if not that not enought ram
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
Gamite

512 ram, DDR400, should be enough. I updated to the latest drivers.

But Im gonna try another set of drivers, see if it changes anything.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #6
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Try lowering the clock speed, and see if it helps.

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
512 ram, DDR400, should be enough. I updated to the latest drivers.

But Im gonna try another set of drivers, see if it changes anything.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
Is your machine overclocked? Have you run DXDIAG? Try disabling ALL other software (including those that startup automatically).
Old 11-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

GeForce's newer drivers are FUCT MAN!...try using the ones that came with the cd...

because iremember back when GTA VC came out...i was playing like everyday then one day i decided to update the drivers on my ge force 3 video card...and BOOM same thing happened to me...crashing to the desktop, transparency etc.

i'm pretty sure the newer drivers are the problem...i installed the drivers that came with my cd and everything back to normal
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member

are you playing the retail versions of the game or the warez version?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #10
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

I had the same Problem with my MSI G4ti4600 8X. is it an MSI card? Does it happen only on Direct3d Games? OpenGL games run fine only Direct 3d games right?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Definately video related. Hope I'm not repeating anyone here, didn't read what everyone else wrote... anyway:

1) DirectX updated? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

2) Are your latest video card drivers beta? are they from the vendor or nvidia? ... try nvidia's drivers out to see what happens.. try the official release (which should be the the same with some addons that your vendor uses).. if not, try the latest beta. Don't forget to make a System Restore point prior to using any beta drivers.

Official latest ForceWear v66.93 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93
Official latest BETA v66.81 - http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do..._2k_66.81.html

3) Set your BIOS back to defaults.

4) Try underclocking your video card.

5) Shut down everything running in the background that may attempt to utilize your videocard at times. (Task Manager > End Task)

6) This sounds odd, but it is known to happen with Creative sound cards mated with nVidia graphic chipsets: Disable in game sound and see what happens....

Good luck,
J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #12
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

If the computer was overheating , you would still get a blue screen in XP, saying, windows has crashed, yada yada yada, and then the error code. If you got that screen with a vxd error code, vxd......... , then its your video card overheating. Otherwise, if XP didn t crash, then its just the drivers hope that helps.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

gamite its it an MSI card??
Old 11-14-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
Gamite

Ahh, seeing that I just woke up, and there about 15 different suggestions, I'll go through them one by one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR
Try lowering the clock speed, and see if it helps.

SL
Yes, I have the system overclocked, it is a 1700xp running at 1900mhz, I will try to underclock now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADRIDE
Is your machine overclocked? Have you run DXDIAG? Try disabling ALL other software (including those that startup automatically).
I have tried running DXDIAG, no faults. Nothing running in background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman87
GeForce's newer drivers are FUCT MAN!...try using the ones that came with the cd...

because iremember back when GTA VC came out...i was playing like everyday then one day i decided to update the drivers on my ge force 3 video card...and BOOM same thing happened to me...crashing to the desktop, transparency etc.

i'm pretty sure the newer drivers are the problem...i installed the drivers that came with my cd and everything back to normal
Yea, I suspect its drivers, I think I might try those beta drivers next. Last time when I thought I had fixed the problem, cuz it was happening in NHL2005 as well, but I changed drivers, and now it only happens in NFS and CS S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidblast
are you playing the retail versions of the game or the warez version?

U think I pay for my games? I doubt this is a problem, as everyone else can play the games smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
I had the same Problem with my MSI G4ti4600 8X. is it an MSI card? Does it happen only on Direct3d Games? OpenGL games run fine only Direct 3d games right?
No, its not an MSI card, but I was searching, and it seems that I am not hte only one who's having these problems. U kno what? I'm not sure, but I think u'r right, only happens in Direct3d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style
If the computer was overheating , you would still get a blue screen in XP, saying, windows has crashed, yada yada yada, and then the error code. If you got that screen with a vxd error code, vxd......... , then its your video card overheating. Otherwise, if XP didn t crash, then its just the drivers hope that helps.
This is not necessarily true, Blue screen of death doesn't always mean over heating, it can be a number of thing, faulty ram, fault drivers etc... Nothing is over heating, everything running cool.

THANKS so much for your help, I hope I can fix this stupid assed problem.

Old 11-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
hey... you forgot about me.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: