Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
Gamite

Kumho Escta 712's

Well, I think the most of you have seen my endless threads about these tires. Honestly, they're probably not as bad as some of you think.

Would I ever get them again? Probably not.

I've had the rear tires split on the sidwall not once, but TWICE! They're a pretty good tire for the money, but if I had the same choice again, I would for a little more out for ES100's or even try those new Fuzions.

I think these tires are more geared towards those lighter imports, from my general impression, the sidewalls don't seem to be able to take the weight from my 4000 LB car. Off the bat, the tires work great, great wet traction. But after a few months, the have noise issues.

In conclusion:
Great tires brand new.
Long term, not so great.

Gamite's rating: 6/10

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
BRAD 82
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BRAD 82
They are absolute Cr@p!

never had such bad tyres in my life. Had two sets and they haven't lasted long than 3 months. wear is incredibly FAST!

Suggestion: Never buy these tyres unless you like getting ripped off!

However they are great for the FIRST day you drive on them...
BRAD 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
I'd like to counter some of the things mentioned in this thread.

I own a set too on my Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon and keep in mind Volvo's aren't light weight to begin with. I always check my tire pressures every other week and they're set at 34F/32R or sometimes 38F/40R if I auto-x (keep in mind this is a FWD car). I've auto-x'ed with these tires approximately 4-5 times.

I've had these tires for two summer seasons and haven't had a single problem at all. So I've put approximately just under 15000kms in two seasons.

Let me add that I don't always baby these tires and that I've taking it up for several highspeed runs and cornering abuse. Now that my treadwear on the fronts is about 50% or less by eyeballing it, I do notice some lack of grip, especially in the wet too; but then again my car has massive body roll so the inside tire tends to spin/slip easily in the wet.

My point is, I know these tires are in a different league from the T1-S, S03's, AVS Sport, P-Zero, but they still provide very good handling in the wet and dry and better treadwear for daily and weekend events or sprited driving. Oh yeah, and even at the treadwear I'm at, I have yet to notice any increase in tire noise and if I do, it's very little!

So if you're on a budget looking for good treadwear and some performance, there's no point in spending money on the other tires I listed above (for example) cause you'll get much better grip at the expense of shorter treadlife. I'm pretty sure other tires in this category including the Yoko's ES100 will do the job.

Plus majority (or some) of the members on the board rarely track their cars. They may drive it hard on the streets, but never as hard as you can at the track. So what's the point of having that extra bit of grip? Remember, tires do give you the grip, but it's still dependent on the driver's skill on properly using it. E.g. Randy whopping people's asses in auto-x on a stock E30 325is with non-high performance tires.

In conclusion, the Kumho 712s are a good set of performance tires for daily driving and some light weekend track events. I will see how much longer these tires will last next season. On the other hand, if you have extra dough or just hate Kumhos to death then by all means go ahead and spend it the upper end tires.

Last edited by 330DTM; 11-04-2004 at 06:51 PM.
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Gamite

when your tires wear down more, u'll notice the noise, I can even hear it in my "noisy" car.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
i have to say after two sets of them they are very decent. now after i drove a few months on these continental all season i put on now they seem even better. mind u these continentals (only in the back) i bought used, but they still had around 1/2 to 3/4 thread left. but right away from the beginning i noticed the grip is not even close to the kuhmo's. i couldnt take the known corners at the same speed as before.
now these cont's are down to nuttin in the back like the kuhmo's before and i'm scared as hell of days like today. it seriously feels like driving on ice. the kuhmos even when they were all bald they still were better then these ****en things. definetelly puttin the winters on this weekend.

so kuhmo are pretty good i'd say. 7/10 from me. for the price they are awesome.

next year i am gonna try some other brand just to c how they compare.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
Miguel
...Delt Smash

I had no problem with Kumho I'Zen winter tires and Im picking up a set of MX's.
I know nothing about the 712's though.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:41 AM   #7
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
had 'em, hate 'em, I can't get any 60 ft time better than 2.3, the noise was rediculous, the characteristic is rather crappy and unstable.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:51 AM   #8
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Ive had 712's and IMO they suck ass, even on a light import. Changed to Toyo T1-S and a world of difference. First off, 712's are loud on the highway and dont absorb road irregularities very well. Theyre pretty good in the rain but so what , the T1-S are way better in that category, absorb bumps way better, way more grip cant compare.

I hated 712's when I had them. Also their tire profile makes it look skinnier than other makes for the same size.

btw, T1-S are very quiet on highway
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:49 AM   #9
SickFinga

Had them and also hated them.

BTW, Toyo T1S is now out of production, Toyo T1R is comming this spring as a replacement.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

thanks goto check out the new R's
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
sicilianace
E-thirtysexer

Send a message via ICQ to sicilianace
Gamite is bang on, I've had mine for 4 years now, and boy this year they were loud. Time for a change......for next season...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD 82
They are absolute Cr@p!never had such bad tyres in my life.
and anyone that disagrees with that has never had truely GOOD tires.

The only people that think 712's are a good tire are ignorant.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #13
Ant118
BmwAviator

^^ I agree with that, took the M3 with those 712's and they grip like CRAP, there terriable. Time to go get a new set of Michlien PS2's, Toyo T1-R, or Toyo RA1 (for only track use)

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Ant118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #14
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Cool O.k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Had them and also hated them.

BTW, Toyo T1S is now out of production, Toyo T1R is comming this spring as a replacement.
They are already here dude...... TOYO all the way for T1R for the street and RA1 for the track....
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #15
Ant118
BmwAviator

Yea paul, gonna go pick them up soon

2011 Alpine/Black 335is
Ant118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: