Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #16
duffy325
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
His regular chips are 91 designed, but we're talking about a special series he did for the M20B25 motor. Really advanced the timing, so anything less than 93 WILL ping (we tried it).
Right on. Thanks for preventing my heart attack.
duffy325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #17
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU

Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
In the early 90's, PIONEER used to have MAGNUM 98. It went away around '99 from what I remember.

I always use SUNOCO unless there is no other option - and it's not just because I have a SUNOCO fleet fuel card...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #18
Simby
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Simby
Shell is the worst gas for BMWs??? There's a lot of conflicting posts here. I didn't think there was any real difference in gas except for octane levels. I've been using only Shell since it's used by Ferrari F1. I don't even cheer for them! lol.

I live on the West Coast. We have Esso, Shell, Petro Can, Husky, Mohawk. Which premium fuel is best for my BMW then?
Simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #19
aascenzi
2nd Gear Member

Here's my 2 cents.
Sunoco is the cleanest gas available. Used exclusively in my '90 E30 (91 octane).
Petro-Can is second, with Tactrol - helps clean carbon deposits (good for new cars).
Shell is not as good as the two previous, although it contains something that is good for high mileage engines.

Esso is not only the biggest polluter to the environment, but spends money battling Greenpeace. It's also the dirtiest gas out there. Please don't give them your business!!!

Member of the Sentra club
aascenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
[quote=Simby]Shell is the worst gas for BMWs??? There's a lot of conflicting posts here. I didn't think there was any real difference in gas except for octane levels. I've been using only Shell since it's used by Ferrari F1. I don't even cheer for them! lol.QUOTE]

North American Shell, and European Shell have very different gas. Plus, Ferreri doesn't exactly use pump gas for their F1 cars
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 PM   #21
takeshi
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
Shell has the best and cleanest gas...everything I have that uses gas runs Shell exclusively. The only thing wrong with them is that their octane is only 91- and it jams fuel gauges on american cars (which I think is the auto manufacturers fault for using crappy units).

Sinopec is Shell in China. I dun think Ferrari is pissed of at Shell...they just won another world championship with their fuel in the tank...what more can they ask for?

Esso is the worst gas...and where is the Toyota F1 team???

Shell has the worst gasoline. Stated by Quack i think above, and multiple PPM surveys posted by max members in the past. Sinopec is not Shell, it is owned by the chinese government and that already tells you enough. China with the booming economy, demand for gasoline there has skyrocketed. I seriously doubt that the communist government would let another company make profit from such a potential sector.

Here is a statement from Sinopec's website, just for the heck of it.

"The Companyís exiting total number of shares is 86.702 billion, of which 55.06% is held by the state through Sinopec Group, 22.36% by domestic banks and assets management companies (AMCs), 19.35% by foreign investors and 3.23% by investors at home."

Chian Petrochemical Corporation is Sinopec.

"China Petrochemical Corporation is 100% owned by the state and a state-authorized investment institution and state holding company."

Toyota is the second highest funded team on the entire grid behind Ferrari, but even that doesn't mean anything. You have to give them time, like BAR which started out horrible and look at them today. Williams started out even worse then Jordan financially, and look at them today. The gasoline company's reputation doesn't neccessarily reflect on its success in formula 1. I've never even heard or seen Petrobras, the brazilian company that fuels BMW Williams. Yet Williams is a top team, agreed? Ferrari winning with shell doesn't mean anything, to them or to me. Who said ferrari was pissed off at shell? Alan prost won the title with williams, and williams still refused to give him a raise so he left. That's just an example. Bridgestone and Ferrari have consecutively won, yet many teams switched from Bridgestone to Michelin because they felt that their success was there. There must be a hundred reasons why they would switch. Maybe sinopec will sweeten their deal. Maybe they will save more money. Maybe sinopec will even sponsor the team, when Malboro is forced out in 06. Hey, I don't know it's a possiblilty. I bet the chinese government has enough money to do so.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-28-2004 at 11:55 PM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #22
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy325
I guess maybe Im an idiot but I have a MarkD chip and use 91 octane, as it is the highest octane avialable in NS. My Dinan chip was for 91 so I just assumed MarkD's would be the same.

Maybe I should just PM Mark and ask, but will continuing to use 91 be okay, or should I be using an octane boost product to make up for the difference?
I've never had good results with octane boosters, you would have to add many cans to get 91 octane up to 93. Reag carefully, they usually say thata can will increase your octane by one point. Like from 91 to 91.1

Sunoco gas is the best so try to use that. I was told Pioneer was supplied by Sunoco, but doesn't have 93 now.

If you have to run 91 for a little while, just don't accellerate hard and it won't ping. You should be able to drive it that way without any trouble.

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #23
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Shell has the worst gasoline. Stated by Quack i think above, and multiple PPM surveys posted by max members in the past. Sinopec is not Shell, it is owned by the chinese government and that already tells you enough. China with the booming economy, demand for gasoline there has skyrocketed. I seriously doubt that the communist government would let another company make profit from such a potential sector.

Here is a statement from Sinopec's website, just for the heck of it.

"The Companyís exiting total number of shares is 86.702 billion, of which 55.06% is held by the state through Sinopec Group, 22.36% by domestic banks and assets management companies (AMCs), 19.35% by foreign investors and 3.23% by investors at home."

Chian Petrochemical Corporation is Sinopec.

"China Petrochemical Corporation is 100% owned by the state and a state-authorized investment institution and state holding company."

Toyota is the second highest funded team on the entire grid behind Ferrari, but even that doesn't mean anything. You have to give them time, like BAR which started out horrible and look at them today. Williams started out even worse then Jordan financially, and look at them today. The gasoline company's reputation doesn't neccessarily reflect on its success in formula 1. I've never even heard or seen Petrobras, the brazilian company that fuels BMW Williams. Yet Williams is a top team, agreed? Ferrari winning with shell doesn't mean anything, to them or to me. Who said ferrari was pissed off at shell? Alan prost won the title with williams, and williams still refused to give him a raise so he left. That's just an example. Bridgestone and Ferrari have consecutively won, yet many teams switched from Bridgestone to Michelin because they felt that their success was there. There must be a hundred reasons why they would switch. Maybe sinopec will sweeten their deal. Maybe they will save more money. Maybe sinopec will even sponsor the team, when Malboro is forced out in 06. Hey, I don't know it's a possiblilty. I bet the chinese government has enough money to do so.

Sure...you might not like Shell (ur loss), but it's not the worst gas, Esso is. They are the dirtiest gas and highest Sulpher in Canada and it's so bad even Greenpeace and Friends of the Environment Canada has started an Esso boycott and a don't buy Esso site.

http://www.greenpeace.ca/e/join/news...hive/0502.html
http://www.foecanada.org/index.php?o...id=40&Itemid=2

Here is a sulpher readings for gas accross Canada from the CBC http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...gas/table.html

Shell Avg Sulpher Content: 300ppm
Esso: 427ppm
Petro Canada: 363ppm

Shell Best: 50ppm (West)
Shell Worst: 500ppm (Ontario)
Esso Best: 310ppm (West)
Esso Worst: 750ppm (Ontario)

Shell and Sinopec are a joint venture in China. China doesn't allow foreign companies to enter China without joint venturing with a domestic company. This is why when BMW went into China, they had to joint venture with China's Brilliance Auto. So, if you want Sinopec in China, it is essentially Shell.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #24
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
I always buy shell for all the cars and i have never had any troubles. Although i have heard of problems, like my roomate who frefuses to buy shell for his audi because he says it messes up his engine

but personally i have never had a problem
Old 11-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #25
takeshi
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
Sure...you might not like Shell (ur loss), but it's not the worst gas, Esso is. They are the dirtiest gas and highest Sulpher in Canada and it's so bad even Greenpeace and Friends of the Environment Canada has started an Esso boycott and a don't buy Esso site.

http://www.greenpeace.ca/e/join/news...hive/0502.html
http://www.foecanada.org/index.php?o...id=40&Itemid=2

Here is a sulpher readings for gas accross Canada from the CBC http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...gas/table.html

Shell Avg Sulpher Content: 300ppm
Esso: 427ppm
Petro Canada: 363ppm

Shell Best: 50ppm (West)
Shell Worst: 500ppm (Ontario)
Esso Best: 310ppm (West)
Esso Worst: 750ppm (Ontario)

Shell and Sinopec are a joint venture in China. China doesn't allow foreign companies to enter China without joint venturing with a domestic company. This is why when BMW went into China, they had to joint venture with China's Brilliance Auto. So, if you want Sinopec in China, it is essentially Shell.

... that has little to do with Formula 1, but I guess you dont have anything to say to that so ok.. you told me shell WAS sinopec, I assumed you meant the same company. When I said ferrari switching to sinopec, I mean dumping shell completely. Switching the shell logo on the ferrari car with sinopec. I'm not sure if Sinopec refines gasoline for shell and export it to other countries (your bmw example). BMW had a joint venture with China Brilliance Auto because they wanted to sell their cars there, the new economy correct? The main reason why they did that is because if they had to import their cars it would cost the consumer twice as much. So they began producing cars there, 7 and 5, mainly FOR chinese people. Now... why would Sinopec join with shell, since Sinopec IS a domestic company? I dont know the answer to that, you might. I am well aware of esso's business practises, but I'm going to be an ass and say that's business.

-i use sunoco 94 in my car..... i'm not sure how it can be my loss.....

Last edited by takeshi; 11-02-2004 at 01:51 PM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:46 PM   #26
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

OK...F1 talk.

Ferrari has won the world championship. They are #1. Everything they used to get there is also #1. This is how advertising works. Everyone else is an also ran.

This means, Ferrari engines are #1. Even though other teams uses Ferrari engines too, and they finished pretty bad, the engine they used still considered "good" and the reason for losing are blamed on other things. Normal people will reasonably conclude, Ferrari engines must be better superior than BMW or Mercedes. I cannot say that BMW or Mercedes engines, are better than Ferrari engines, because they did NOT win.

Ferrari team uses Bridgestones. I don't like Bridgestones. I recommend Michelins to friends. Most other F1 teams use Michelins. I think Michelin is better than Bridgestone, but I cannot say that, because Michelin did NOT win.

I think Montoya is a better driver than Schumi. But I cannot say that because Montoya did NOT win.

I think that Shell gas is the best gas. They might not be the cleanest or highest octane, or lowest sulphur. As a matter of fact they are not. Sunoco probably does better for pump gas. But I can't say Sunoco is the best gas, because they did NOT win. I CAN however, say, Shell is the best gas, because they DID.

Your loss? Because Sunoco, Esso, and any other gas is a LOSERS GAS. SHELL IS A F1 WINNERS GAS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: