Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-24-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Toyo T1-S impressions

I got a set of 235/40/17 Toyo T1-S's installed yesterday. For the first 30km they sucked obviously, but then they slowly and slowly started to scrub in, started to suprise me.

First off (as stupid as it may sound), two hours after installing them I was at Cayuga doing 1/4 mile runs. They gripped awesome there. Later at night I was just doing some braking test from various speeds and I could hold 1Gminimum, which I though was pretty impressive. Even from 200-0km, it was at least 1 continuous forward G until I stopped.

In the rain these tires also rule. Then again they are at full tread, but I know of more then one guy who uses the T1-S's as their rain track tires.

At the auto-x earlier today, every right hand corner was at 1G, and every left hand corner was between .9-1G (I guess I'm not as confident turning left, I blame the A-pillar). Here is a G graph taken from my G-Tech, notice the lateral g's:
Attached Images
File Type: gif gs.gif (26.9 KB, 243 views)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
good info.. thanks! I'm getting TI-S's for next summer... keep us posted on how it is when the tread wears... and tread life.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:02 AM   #3
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Damn my secret is out.

Look like I'll have to drive harder next summer.

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I got a set of 235/40/17 Toyo T1-S's installed yesterday. For the first 30km they sucked obviously, but then they slowly and slowly started to scrub in, started to suprise me.

First off (as stupid as it may sound), two hours after installing them I was at Cayuga doing 1/4 mile runs. They gripped awesome there. Later at night I was just doing some braking test from various speeds and I could hold 1Gminimum, which I though was pretty impressive. Even from 200-0km, it was at least 1 continuous forward G until I stopped.

In the rain these tires also rule. Then again they are at full tread, but I know of more then one guy who uses the T1-S's as their rain track tires.

At the auto-x earlier today, every right hand corner was at 1G, and every left hand corner was between .9-1G (I guess I'm not as confident turning left, I blame the A-pillar). Here is a G graph taken from my G-Tech, notice the lateral g's:

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
You summed it up pretty nicely

I love them
Old 10-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
330POWER
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to 330POWER
they are amazing tires...but read wear is brutal! ull be goin through sets like no tommorow
2002 Titanium Silver 330ci, M sport Package, Hamann HM2 rims/ Toyo Proxie T1s, Hamann Black out grill, 2-12s Alpine Type R's powered by Rockford Fosgate amp, Clarion LCD/DVD screen, Dinan CAI, Dinan engine software, CCFL angel eyes, interior xenon kit, hamann eyelids, hamann front lip, ti. silver headlight trim, debaged, HID foglights
330POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

i'm happy with it too, especially i'm stretching the hell out of them. the first 20 km seems the ride is really really smooth.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Miguel
...Delt Smash

I am dying to get a set... especially with the exchange rate right now its almost CRIMINAL to not buy them from that Bimmerforums vendor.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:09 PM   #8
M Blur
1st Gear Newbie

The new T1-Rs should prove to be even better with better wear rate and outside rain channels to improve direction without reduction in water dissipation.

Can't wait.. found Michelin Pilots Sports very skittish in the wet.
M Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
I am dying to get a set... especially with the exchange rate right now its almost CRIMINAL to not buy them from that Bimmerforums vendor.
www.edgeracing.com has better prices than that njzprettyboy or something on bimmerforums.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
app
5th Gear Member

I had these tires before, they wear out FAST. But admittedly, I could drive with confidence in the rain like no other tire.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #11
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

i just switches to these tires this season. excellent in rain and dry conditions. I haven't noticed any wear since i seldom push my car, and when i do, they hook very well. overtime, i'm sure i'll be able to give you a better review.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by qimis
www.edgeracing.com has better prices than that njzprettyboy or something on bimmerforums.
Nope, not cheaper, I just checked. I paid $600US, shipping including. I ended up paying $910CDN, after duties and taxes.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 AM   #13
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

I am using them to for 4 years now and I will be getting a nither set next summer!!!!!!!
paul christians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #14
just325iS
3rd Gear Member

I have used two sets on my bimmer and one set on my audi. I've switched to Kumho MX (dry) on the bimmer and Yoko Parada spec 2 on my audi. The T1-S is nice in the rain but I don't drive my car in the rain anymore. I find the Kumho to have better dry traction and it can handle side load better. I just got the Yoko, but so far, it seems pretty good. I'm probably going to run the Yoko on my bimmer next year (225/35/19's). As good as these tires are, they don't even come close to the RA-1's for track use.
just325iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by just325iS
As good as these tires are, they don't even come close to the RA-1's for track use.
That is what everyone tells me, luckily I just bought another set of wheels with RA-1's on them....I can't wait to try them at the auto-x's next season.

The guys who are always winning the auto-x class that I'm in (3 -series, 6-cyl, modified) are on RA-1's. Hopefully I'll be one of them

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: