Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-07-2004, 08:24 PM   #31
jeffrie
Addict

Problem with nos is it has to be calibrated with each and evry application. Not to mention if and ever you acually need it it's not an infinate supply....
Far more useful with long stoke engines but it does run out eventualy, Turbo (though unreliable) is always their and superchargers (their when you need them) are the same but far more reliable. Spend the extra $$ if you plan on driving the beast if a boy racer go for the nos to make the 1/4 mile times. Forced induction can'y compare with nos in times and hp on the drag strip.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #32
The Sly
5th Gear Member

Hi jeffrie

Everything you say makes alot of sense but don't forget the question..
"Cheapest way to make an E30 faster"

Turbo would be my game but when playing Turbo is spending a few $$$$ to do it right the first time ...stand alone engine management and a good turbo setup with engine internals that can hold it....
Old 11-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #33
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBMW325BMWBMW
shave the head and bore the valves... over sized valve... cost, under $1000 and will gain you about 50-60hp... combine that with a chip... you're laughing. another good one, don't know what emission laws are like where you are, but straight pipe the exhaust... get rid of the catalytic.. 2.5" pipe... trust me
Dude I heard if you just get rid of the valves altogether you get mad HP, they're just pointless weight.

Seriously though, doing such things to an M20 isn't doing anything worthwhile.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:54 PM   #34
JCKL_racing
2nd Gear Member

Gotta agree with Mystikal, while power is good, everyday life requires the skils at the wheel to get the most out of your whip. Lot's of people with new 350Z's and G35 coupes and WRX's that are not going to beat you in your E30 if you actually know how to drive (excluding straight line drag racing).
Besides NOS is illegal, why take the risk.
JCKL_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #35
jeffrie
Addict

[quote=The Sly]Hi jeffrie

Everything you say makes alot of sense but don't forget the question..
"Cheapest way to make an E30 faster"

Yes I forgot I myself prefer to win the Dakar as opposed to the 1/4 mile.
No cheap substitute to reliability and HP but I take Reliability for granted as a # 1 on my list, leave the hondas to smoke me on the drag strip. but win when my 16 yr old beast is winning witout the blue smoke as compared to an accord or 5.0 of the same arra. Cheapest way to win on the track "Suspension",
if ya want to win the drag races go with the Japs. Can buy a car with the price it takes a bimmer to compare but a bimmer will win the season for far cheaper........
Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #36
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

there is no way you will gain 50-60 hp by inlarging the valves, maybe with a good cam, you will gain 20-25 tops, that is on a really extensive engine too.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #37
BMW325BMW
Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle
See there is a problem with "claimed" #'s...I can claim my K&N gives me 20Hp but unless you have dyno test to prove it, its not worth much. When you say "guys and there cars" were they E30's? If not then the info is not relevent because a head/valve job might give 50Hp to a Viper, but it wont on an E30.

As for the price, dont quote $$$ that dont apply to the general public! Unless everyone can get it done at that price, once again the info is useless. Just because i'm in the business and can have an M50 in my car for less then $1500 it does not mean this is the going rate!
it's only claimed because i have known guys who have done these mods properly to their e30's who have gotten substantial gains. I also know guys who have done lousy jobs at getting these mods done to their cars and they haven't seen the gains. And those prices I quoted are realistic. At a cheap scale. Obviously the better job or more experienced guy is gonna charge you more. And sorry for not making the pricing clear... these are the prices I can get. I don't know what other people charge.
BMW325BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 AM   #38
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
shave the head and bore the valves...
over sized valve...
will gain you about 50-60hp...
trust me
No way in hell.

1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #39
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
it's only claimed because i have known guys who have done these mods properly to their e30's who have gotten substantial gains. I also know guys who have done lousy jobs at getting these mods done to their cars and they haven't seen the gains. And those prices I quoted are realistic. At a cheap scale. Obviously the better job or more experienced guy is gonna charge you more. And sorry for not making the pricing clear... these are the prices I can get. I don't know what other people charge.

Damn. Ignorance is bliss, is it not?

You need to be making over 500 hp to get 50 hp out of a port and polish job. Get this: if an hot cam, headers, intake, and exhaust yield 15hp on a stock M20, what's the chance that a relatively small thing (at low air velocities) like grinding valves will give more?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #40
jeffrie
Addict

Port & polish really do make it breath better in the upper rpm's alot smoother as well, but no way will you get 50-60 hp without something like nos.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #41
The Sly
5th Gear Member

This is what we have to be careful with...
Alway check people that have done it and also have some type of proof to it...
WE can say what ever we want just like saying that i have a 50hp chip
and 100hp worth of mods but deep down....
sometimes we are actually detuning our engines by adding stuff..
Just like a nice cone filter in 90 degree temperature...It sure wont help..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: