Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-19-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Yikes.... maybe a BIG decision to make

I may have found a 3.0 CS coupe that may be for sale. Damn, I have always loved that car. Thing is I'm deep into a 2002 restoration. I'm pretty sure if I can get the 3.0CS, I'll sell off all the 2002 stuff I've accumulated.........including the Georgia shell, LSD, 5-spd, etc, etc..... but it's going to be a real tough decision.

Any words of wisdom??? The 3.0 CS thing is totally a thing of the heart and because I just WANT it. It's bigger, more expensive to restore in a large way, harder to find parts for, etc, etc. So it will likely hurt a lot more in the wallet.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Tom

I looked at a white 3.0 that was in the paper a couple of weeks ago. It was parked in a drive way at Broadway and Eglinton. Same car maybe?

As for problems, big one is rust but that's the same issue with '02s. Before you bail on the 2002 consider the following. Expense and availability of parts, bigger heavier car (although I love the styling too). Engine is more complex with twin Solex or Zenith carbs so you better know someone who can tune 'em for you. Upgrade to triple Webers would be nice but again tuning will make your head spin. Heads are prone to cracking which can't be fixed easily.

My advise it to look here.
http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/Technical/index.html

If you need an independent opinion about the condition of the car, go here
http://autotrend.net/
and ask to speak to Don Katsumi. He's usually really busy but is a very solid guy.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Nope, this car is not located in the GTA. Yes, I have thought about those "COST" issues as well. What I think I'm going to do is see how much the car can be bought for and then decide if it's worth abandoning the '02 project. I was also considering to talk to Marcus Glarner and possibly ........ trailering it up to his place to have him look at it. HE has a few of them kicking around, including a mint condition shell int he garage. I couldn't find a thing rusty about it............... awesome.

That white car, what was it going for and what was the condition ????
Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Tom, here my two cents.

Marcus had that Golf Yellow CSL up at his shop last year when we did our '02 cruise. Nice car. You can ask Marcus to look at the car you're considering but the one draw back is that he's really busy and may not get to it right away. If you just want to put it on a hoist and check for rust Don's your best option. Don used to work at Beach and is a very good resource. He also certified my 1602 and has been a big help on a couple of occasions. Solid guy. If the car has issues, guarenteed he'll spot 'em for you.

As for things I'd do...
Up on the hoist for check for rust. Flashlight and screw driver are the essential tools IMHO. Apparently the point where the A pillar meets the floor is critical and expensive to fix. Usual frame rails and rockers both rust from the inside out, floors, towers and trunk. Check suspension bushings, trailing arms and general leaks.
Compression test.
Leak down test.
Pull the plugs to check condition of engine, blow by etc.
Have someone drive the car while you follow check for smoke oil and coolant related on trailing throttle.
Pull oil cap and check for mayo indicating blown head gasket or cracked head.

As for the car I looked at, the condition looked O.K. from the top but the owner wasn't around. Just took a quick look but it was advertised "as is". My bet is the car needs some serious repair and the current owner can't take the punishment anymore.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Jim rite !?!

YEah, 3.0 coupes are apparently a lot of punishment and grief. They were pathetically assembled with regards to rusting issues that over take them. So this one I'll have to REALLY look at closely before giving up my '02 project. I talked to Marcus on the phone today and pretty much as long as I give him the heads up in advance, I can bring the car by for him to look at. I'm figuring that he's the best of the best for reviewing something like this. I'm not sure I know Don ?!??!? I haven't been around the circle long enuf I guess.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Nope

It's John actually but no worries.
I was speaking with a buddy of mine about your impending decision and have maybe a different cut on things.
Sounds like you have some major work ahead to get your '02 project off the ground. Always questions as to what you'll run into during the restoration process. My car fights me whenever I try to work on it. I know from personal experience that it's better to drive than repair/restore.
You might get lucky and the CS you're looking at might be O.K. in which case you have a classic GT on your hands. More modern that an '02 for sure. Worst case Marcus can find a solid e9 for you no problem.

Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Sorry John My bad.

With the '02 project, was always the intention to do a complete restoration as I can afford to do it. With the 3.0 CS, different animal. An expensive animal. Tomorrow I'm going to see it to get a closer look at it. Going to take the camera and shoot some pictures too...................
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Link to pictures............ warning to dial up users as they are not compressed and are BIG.

----------- Link to 1972 3.0 CS pictures ------------

Not sure what I'm going to do about this now........ may just let it sit and if the guy contacts me back then it was ment to be. It's an intimidating project. BUT........... but you only live once.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Not too bad

I'd take a run at it. How much $?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

HE doesn't know. He threw out the number of $10K. I laughed cause there's no way. I'm going to offer him $500 for that potential disaster.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: