Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2002, 09:50 PM   #61
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by notjoe
Dave, i never meant to imply you were racing or that you were driving in any abnormal way, it was just the situtation which happened, which could have happened (and almost did) to many of us on the cruize.

The point i was going to try and make probably isnt worth it but i hope you didnt take it as a personal attack or anything as such as i never intended it to be that.
Cool Joe!

I had to make shure. Sorry for getting all worked up. Just that a certain guy (Mr. 260km/h) really got me mad on that issue.

Dave

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #62
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I dunno, i think that would be tempting, even for Dave!
Tempting! LOL! Been there done that! Only on open highway tho! I know it is wrong but who hasn't?

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
Old 07-11-2002, 09:55 PM   #63
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Quote:
Originally posted by '88 325e

Cool Joe!

I had to make shure. Sorry for getting all worked up. Just that a certain guy (Mr. 260km/h) really got me mad on that issue.

Dave

Who is Mr. 260km/hr? I think were a couple people who hit 260km/hr, ah well, maybe somethings are best left unsaid

Joe
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:59 PM   #64
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Who is Mr. 260km/hr? I think were a couple people who hit 260km/hr, ah well, maybe somethings are best left unsaid

Joe
I didn't say anything! LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m3 wht frontsml.jpg (45.5 KB, 166 views)

L8R,
Dave
Old 07-12-2002, 02:47 AM   #65
SickFinga

Dave, I think you got it wrong, it was Mr. 260hp, not km/h
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:49 PM   #66
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:

Ac tually, YES, if you're stupid enough to race and hit someone/something then you should deal with what you have gotten yourself into, which would be taking responsibility would it not?

Being responsible Joe, means not street racing at all. After you kill someone on the street, stopping by and saying you're sorry isn't being responsible. Going to jail for criminal negligence isn't being responsible. It's someone else holding you accountable for your actions, but by no means is it responsible behaviour all on it's own. Let me make this point perfectly clear...street racing is irresponsible behaviour, no exceptions.

As to the crash that happened, according to the media, witnesses are saying the BMW swerved, and ended up in the same lane as the Acura. Contact doesn't need to happen between two vehicles to be considered legally liable. Merely the impression or perception that one vehicle *may* have forced another off the road, or into another vehicle.

If you swerve into another lane, and force another car into the ditch, causing an accident (without EVER touching the other car), you're legally liable as the at-fault cause of the accident.

Quote:

"I already know you don't know the first thing about how to drive a performance car, as the fastest way to spin your car when the back end starts to slide out is by LIFTING the throttle in the middle of a corner. I know it's instinctive, but it's the WRONG thing to do."

Of course it is, might as well hammer it and go faster to get control right? now isnt that smart driving!

Ok, next Dexter Day then, let's go to Mosport (was just there today...), and when you're driving around Turn 2 flat-out, try lifting your foot off the gas in the middle of the corner. Let's see what happens. Guess what? You'll spin faster than an old 45, and park the back end of your car into the wall.

When powering through a corner and the back end begins to slide on you, the WRONG thing to do is lift off the throttle and transfer even more weight OFF the back tires, and onto the front tires. Guaranteed recipe for a spin. Even been to a driving school, or are you just one of these kids who thinks he knows everything there is to know about driving fast, because you play GT3 on your Playstation2?

Come-on, let's put some money on it. Say, $500, on who turns faster lap-times at Mosport. Your BMW, and my BMW.

Quote:

Not quite,n considering i said pretty much the same thing but without the holier than thou bullshit attached.

Yes, and I'll continue to be "holier than thou" when it comes to street racing. I do my racing on the track, where it belongs. On the race track, every driver knows fully well what's involved in the sport, and what the consequences are. On the street, 99% of the drivers have the bare minimum of driver training AT BEST, yet each and every one of them seems to believe that they are excellent drivers. Damn near all of them are wrong.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:18 PM   #67
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

Yes, and I'll continue to be "holier than thou" when it comes to street racing. I do my racing on the track, where it belongs. On the race track, every driver knows fully well what's involved in the sport, and what the consequences are. On the street, 99% of the drivers have the bare minimum of driver training AT BEST, yet each and every one of them seems to believe that they are excellent drivers. Damn near all of them are wrong.

Pat
As for the laptime/racing thing, id be more than happy to do it but not for money, as it would only be condoning me doing something stupid and possibly hurting myself or others. the fact that im sure you h ave quite a lot more experience on the track.

As for street racing and the cause of it and who is liable, well, if i slam on my break and someone hits me in the back of my car i guess i am liable since i used my breaks and caused someone to crash?

How about if i cut into a lane then hit my breaks and get read ended, i guess it is his fault?

Do i play games, sure i do, but not racing games, sure i own a PS 2 but no GTA 3. Do i consider that life like? no, if that was the case i should be nascar r acing, i did really well in the computer version.

PS: i think i saw elvis, so i guess he is alive!

Joe
Old 07-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #68
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:

As for street racing and the cause of it and who is liable, well, if i slam on my break and someone hits me in the back of my car i guess i am liable since i used my breaks and caused someone to crash?

How about if i cut into a lane then hit my breaks and get read ended, i guess it is his fault?

Do i play games, sure i do, but not racing games, sure i own a PS 2 but no GTA 3. Do i consider that life like? no, if that was the case i should be nascar r acing, i did really well in the computer version.

PS: i think i saw elvis, so i guess he is alive!

Joe
Never bothered much with the Nascar / Cascar scene....nothing but left turns...too boring.

Two different scenarios you post there. One of which has you changing lanes, and THEN slamming on the brakes. (Remember, witnesses reported what happened in the street racing scenario...not just one driver's version vs another...).

If you just slam on your brakes, and the car behind you rear-ends you, then they are the at-fault driver.

If you swerve into that person's lane and slam on the brakes, it's generally a 50-50 judgement; you changed lanes improperly, causing the other driver to be following too close. Even though he hit(s) you, you're partially at fault for the cause of the accident.

Go back and read the papers on what the cops and now the government is talking about when it comes to street racing. If an accident occurs as the result of street racing, BOTH drivers are likely to be held liable in the event of an accident. If any injuries or fatalities occur, both drivers *can* be held liable for CRIMINAL charges, which isn't just a fine / loss of license, but rather time served in jail.

And, if the cops persuade the government to have their way, street racing will be treated EXACTLY as it is with drunk driving. IE, it's a criminal offense NO MATTER WHAT. Meaning, getting caught street racing will potentially incur jail time regardless of an accident occurring. As well as a restricted ability to travel (you can't get into the U.S. with a criminal record...), difficulty finding employment (many companies now do criminal checks on potential new hires) etc.

Now, all this being said, I don't agree with the police stance on this, as it opens up too many powers for the police service. But the only way to prevent the police from getting power drunk is to eliminate the need for them to crack down heavily on street racing. Cayuga's drag strip is now open again; people can always go there.

Petition the local government to work on building a drag strip somewhere close to the GTA (ie, near the Airport, where nobody would notice anyway...).

Pat
Old 07-15-2002, 10:21 AM   #69
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
i was talking yesterday to my buddy who lives close where the crash happened. and he was right around there that night as well. he said he didn't see the crash it self but that he saw the guys from the acura after the crash happened on the street. i'm not gonna say what he said but it wasn't a pretty sight. and he actually knew all three of those guys as well.

another thing i watched on tv this morning that the police and government are thinkin off bringing back the photo radars and putting them up on streets.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:05 AM   #70
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Send a message via ICQ to mogie Send a message via MSN to mogie
Now this is a thread which I find really stupid- this IS NOT MAXBIMMER reading......why cut each other up in this thread??? Yes the issue is Road racing is bad- BUT I"LL BET EVERY STUPID@$$ has in one form or another throttled up on his/her car
perhaps not to prove a point, but to enjoy the sound of their car, or simply revel in the way the car feels.

We do not know the story of those 2 cars so stop trying to figure it out and over analzye everything. SH**!

All I can say is everyone here who says they don't race or even drive fast on the streets is a damn hippocrite and or lying piece of work, and does not belong on MAXBIMMER because they cannot admit the truth. Face up everyone......since I have seen most everyone drive, for those I see at the regular meets. I 'm not an angel either *devil*

We cannot put trash on this forum by denying the truth, or even trying to hide behind SOB stories that we are safe drivers, or expel nonsense about how dangerous "DRIVING FAST" is- or isn't by saying we who race accept all responsibilty......DO WE REALLY??
And one last thing NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEIR LIMIT IS - SINCE IT IS NOT JUST YOUR LIMIT YOU ARE FACING BUT ALL THE OTHER LIMITLESS DRIVERS ON THE ROAD AS WELL.

Sorry guys- I am just frustrated by seeing people repeatedly cut each other up on this forum, this is not friendly nor does it condone a healthy get together place. If I wanted to read about fighting I'll open the news paper- On MAXBIMMER we should be abit more tactile on how or what we say to each other.

OUR site moderators make a section called OUT WITH IT - no holds barred bashing, whatever- that way people can fornicate with all their might.

One angry Mogie
Old 07-16-2002, 04:01 AM   #71
Spartiatis
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Spartiatis
I agree 100%
Spartiatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:55 AM   #72
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Well, I'll disagree to a certain percentage. I've NEVER been to a Maxbimmer meet, so you have zero idea of how I actually drive.

In fact, on the city streets, I drive a 3/4 ton pickup truck, which by it's very nature isn't conducive to street racing. My BMW gets trailered nearly everywhere it goes, except the occasional time I drive it up to the shop to have work done on it. And I never said I don't speed; I said I don't street race. I don't have a big issue with speeding, largely because a driver presents LESS of a hazard when they follow the flow of traffic, rather than trying to maintain a 50 km/h pace when everybody else is doing 60 km/h.

But this is all kept within reason. Doing 100 km/h in a 50 km/h zone borders on idiotic. Doing 60 in that same 50 km/h zone is a minor transgression in my opinion.

And I'm willing to bet I have a pretty good idea of what my limits are, and the limits of those speeding around me, when I'm on the track. In fact, that's a big portion of why I go; I'm constantly seeking to increase my limits...

When I'm on the streets, I tend to be extra cautious, simply because I don't know the limits of the other drivers, and very likely they may not know them either.

Pat

PS. Oh, and one other thing. I don't jump on here to *get along* with everybody else in some group hug type mentality. I call 'em as I see 'em, and if I disagree with something or someone, you can bet I'll voice my opinion about it. Don't like my opinions, feel free to stop reading them.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:34 PM   #73
mogie
Woodbumbling at Mazda

Send a message via ICQ to mogie Send a message via MSN to mogie
If someone is being an idiot then to call an idiot I agree, but to a point.
I suppose this mentallity carries to every other post as an after thought or is it simple hatred of a certain persons "POSTS" Of their shall I put it experiences??
Hey if you think your views are public knowledge then post it - but if you feel like ripping someone why not PM them?? Like some jack#@$$@# who responded to me??? Man some people cannot determine seriousness or a joke if it bit them in the ass. Not referring to you Pat. BUt this is how it should be done. I think each person is entitled to their acts of brilliance, and cannot be condoned everytime you think it is stupid or pure ignorance, geez this is not Utopia BMW and it will never be.
So if your views are so high about speeding and acts of careless driving - how come I didn't see any smart remarks in the "NEED FOR SPEED" Top Speed Acheived thread?

Hmmmm selective opinions eh??? Oh well- so be it.

A bashing we will go , a bashing we will go.....

Last edited by mogie; 07-17-2002 at 10:37 PM.
mogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:23 PM   #74
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally posted by mogie
If someone is being an idiot then to call an idiot I agree, but to a point.
I suppose this mentallity carries to every other post as an after thought or is it simple hatred of a certain persons "POSTS" Of their shall I put it experiences??
Hey if you think your views are public knowledge then post it - but if you feel like ripping someone why not PM them?? Like some jack#@$$@# who responded to me??? Man some people cannot determine seriousness or a joke if it bit them in the ass. Not referring to you Pat. BUt this is how it should be done. I think each person is entitled to their acts of brilliance, and cannot be condoned everytime you think it is stupid or pure ignorance, geez this is not Utopia BMW and it will never be.
So if your views are so high about speeding and acts of careless driving - how come I didn't see any smart remarks in the "NEED FOR SPEED" Top Speed Acheived thread?

Hmmmm selective opinions eh??? Oh well- so be it.

A bashing we will go , a bashing we will go.....

Should have saved your post since this one might be deleted. Seems our views are not for the public if we cant voice them without posts being deleted (a couple of mine have and i wasnt even flaming anyone.

Joe
Old 07-17-2002, 11:27 PM   #75
SickFinga

Quote:

Are you telling me you've never raced, even when you had a safe distance and some guy, who had his chick in the car was trying to show off and you know in the first 10 seconds you could show him who is boss?

I dunno, i think that would be tempting, even for Dave!

Joe
heh, no I raced just once in my life.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: