Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2002, 10:49 AM   #46
PCDawg
2nd Gear Member

There's a report in the Sun today that the police had recovered a stolen BMW with New Jersey plates and they said may have been linked with the crash with that Acura.....
Old 07-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #47
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Quote:
Originally posted by PCDawg
There's a report in the Sun today that the police had recovered a stolen BMW with New Jersey plates and they said may have been linked with the crash with that Acura.....
I know this dealer who just got a m3, techno violet, theift recovery one in the last day or two. i wonder if it is the same one or is that a little too soon?

Joe
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 01:01 PM   #48
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by notjoe

I'm not saying that it isnt tragic thing, im just saying i could see why this guy wouldnt want to stop. I wonder how often we all do the right things, like when someone gives you the look at the lights, whether you're going to gun it or not.

How many of you would actually stop and wait for cops to explain what happen knowing full well you're going to lose 4 points (atleast) and probably your licence for a while, not to mention the huge jump on insurance.

Racing is risky in itself, getting nailed for racing is even more stupid, and pushing yourself until you lose control is very bad.

If i take a corner fast and feel the car slide i dont throttle it so that i lose more control and slide.

Hopefully something good will come out like people thinking next time they rev the engines at the lights (guilty as charged) about all the possible out comes of it.

In all honesty, i feel more sorry for the people that those guys hit. THEY were the innocent ones who will pay the price of rehab over years to deal with the pain and suffering they will endure.

The guys driving the bmw/aqura knew what they were getting themselfs into when they were cutting in and out of lanes at high rates of speed.

If you cant take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Joe

Boy, I haven't read anything this STUPID is a long time. Nothing like reaffirming my faith in idiotic drivers.

What do you mean, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

So, the lady who lost her baby is supposed to be prepared to take her life in her own hands, because some collection of idiots elected to race on the streets? And they were justified, because they accept the risks themselves?

Guess what guys....street racing is illegal for very specific reasons; the safety factor being a primary one of them. People lost their lives who had NOTHING to do with the street race, yet your very comments seem to endorse the street racing, provided that the two wanna-be *racers* accept that they are putting their own lives at risk.

Oh, and the driver, whenever he gets caught, will be in even MORE trouble because he left the scene. Don't be surprised when criminal charges get filed in this case.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:43 PM   #49
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

My inline reply to this nonsense:

"Boy, I haven't read anything this STUPID is a long time. Nothing like reaffirming my faith in idiotic drivers."

Yes, what i said was very stupid, why should we feel sorry for the innocent who were hurt and didnrt have any part in this except for being the unlucky ones who got hit because of stupidness.

"What do you mean, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

So, the lady who lost her baby is supposed to be prepared to take her life in her own hands, because some collection of idiots elected to race on the streets? And they were justified, because they accept the risks themselves?"

Did you ever think what i meant could have been taken in a positive way, Geeee, maybe i could have meant, if you cant take responsibility for yoru actions you shouldnt be racing? Did you every stop to think the heat could have been in response to the crash?

Of course not, that would make too much sense for someone like you to figure out.

"Guess what guys....street racing is illegal for very specific reasons; the safety factor being a primary one of them. People lost their lives who had NOTHING to do with the street race, yet your very comments seem to endorse the street racing, provided that the two wanna-be *racers* accept that they are putting their own lives at risk."

I never once endorse street racing, as i recall, i DID say this :
"Racing is risky in itself, getting nailed for racing is even more stupid, and pushing yourself until you lose control is very bad. "

Since you cannot understand this, and if you had been thinking logically instead of assuming you might have grasped the concept that what i had said is not exactly endorsing racing.

"Oh, and the driver, whenever he gets caught, will be in even MORE trouble because he left the scene. Don't be surprised when criminal charges get filed in this case."

There is no doubt about this in my mind.

So my final words on this are:

Why dont you stfu and take the time to read things, maybe twice if you're able to grasp it the first time around, before you go throwing words in someones mouth.

Joe
Old 07-11-2002, 05:26 PM   #50
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:

I'm not saying that it isnt tragic thing, im just saying i could see why this guy wouldnt want to stop. I wonder how often we all do the right things, like when someone gives you the look at the lights, whether you're going to gun it or not.

How many of you would actually stop and wait for cops to explain what happen knowing full well you're going to lose 4 points (atleast) and probably your licence for a while, not to mention the huge jump on insurance.

Okay, let me QUOTE you again....

"If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." So, basically you're endorsing street racing, provided that street racers accept responsibility for their actions, and should stick around WHEN they kill an innocent driver on the road? WTF is that?

Yet, just above that, you say you understand WHY the guy in the M3 takes off, because YOU yourself wouldn't want to get the 4 points on your license, and a hike in insurance. So in other words, you're advocating to street race, and then take off should anything go wrong, because getting caught at street racing is even dumber than the street racing itself?

Follow your logic here, because that's EXACTLY what you say in the next line...

Quote:

Racing is risky in itself, getting nailed for racing is even more stupid, and pushing yourself until you lose control is very bad.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. Street racing is the stupid part. Getting caught at it is merely the proper result.

And let's look at your next line...

Quote:

Did you ever think what i meant could have been taken in a positive way, Geeee, maybe i could have meant, if you cant take responsibility for yoru actions you shouldnt be racing? Did you every stop to think the heat could have been in response to the crash?

Once again, I ask, what is responsibilty for one's actions when illegally street racing? Does it mean they stop and help out when they cause an accident in which someone is injured or dies? Does it mean they apologize to the families of the people they injure or kill? What is YOUR definition of being responsible when street racing?

I already know you don't know the first thing about how to drive a performance car, as the fastest way to spin your car when the back end starts to slide out is by LIFTING the throttle in the middle of a corner. I know it's instinctive, but it's the WRONG thing to do.

In another post, you CLAIM that if no contact occurred between cars, then the driver cannot be held at fault. Guess what bud, better check your legal standing again. If he swerved into another lane, that DRIVER is the at-fault cause of the accident, and can be held liable in both traffic court, and in the case of a death, criminally responsible. Criminal negligence causing death, and it carries a term of 14 years with it....

Sorry Joe, but your points counter-act themselves. It's what is known as fallacious reasoning... look it up sometime.

Pat
Old 07-11-2002, 05:43 PM   #51
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

No, it's the whole street racing mentality that gets under my skin...

When I pick up the Toronto Sun, and the first FOUR pages are about various street races, and fatalities that occur because of it.

Hey, I'm the biggest motorsports enthusiast I know. But the bad PR from the entire street racing scene does nothing but have a negative impact on the safe, responsible enthusiast sport / hobby that we run. Auto-crossing, lapping days, Club Racing, driving schools...all of these will suffer as a result of the street racing scene. Insurance rates for these events have gone up 300% (just ask the Solo Ontario crowd how expensive their sport has become...) this year. And that was due to a terrorist attack. Just imagine how much an actual RELATED activity will affect it. The cops and insurance companies want to approach the street racing scene much like they do for drinking and driving. And the nasty ripple effect from this is that insurance rates for ANY performance car will end up going through the roof, and insurance rates for driving schools, lapping days, auto-crossing etc will be significantly hiked as well.

It's not like street racing is a new thing, it's been around for 50 years, and unless we park at cop at every corner, it's not going to go away. The ONLY responsible action when it comes to street racing is to simply refuse to participate. Not just do it when you think it's safe, or late at night etc, etc. But to simply avoid it at all. We have plenty of tracks available to test your car, and your driving abilities. City streets are no place for it.

Pat
Old 07-11-2002, 05:46 PM   #52
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

[quote]Originally posted by Bad-Karma
[b]

"Once again, I ask, what is responsibilty for one's actions when illegally street racing? Does it mean they stop and help out when they cause an accident in which someone is injured or dies? Does it mean they apologize to the families of the people they injure or kill? What is YOUR definition of being responsible when street racing?"

Ac tually, YES, if you're stupid enough to race and hit someone/something then you should deal with what you have gotten yourself into, which would be taking responsibility would it not?

Lets see, on the Niagara trip people were racing and i remember a little crash happening also, now, does that mean everyone who was racing/throttling their car at the monent, which could be mistaken for racing, at fault? No, It all depends on the defininiton, prime example, i was using my throttle to keep up, am i at fault for that? is most of the maxbimmer.com site at fault for what happened? maybe we should all go turn ourselfs in.

"I already know you don't know the first thing about how to drive a performance car, as the fastest way to spin your car when the back end starts to slide out is by LIFTING the throttle in the middle of a corner. I know it's instinctive, but it's the WRONG thing to do."

Of course it is, might as well hammer it and go faster to get control right? now isnt that smart driving!

"In another post, you CLAIM that if no contact occurred between cars, then the driver cannot be held at fault. Guess what bud, better check your legal standing again. If he swerved into another lane, that DRIVER is the at-fault cause of the accident, and can be held liable in both traffic court, and in the case of a death, criminally responsible. Criminal negligence causing death, and it carries a term of 14 years with it...."

Nice, next time i am around a crash i will keep in mind that my driving might have been considered racing and that the actions of the drivers involved in the crash could have been caused by me.

"Sorry Joe, but your points counter-act themselves. It's what is known as fallacious reasoning... look it up sometime."

Not quite,n considering i said pretty much the same thing but without the holier than thou bullshit attached.

Joe
Old 07-11-2002, 05:58 PM   #53
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Lets see, on the Niagara trip people were racing and i remember a little crash happening...
What! You have to be joking! I admited that I made a mistake and there were circumstances that I couldn't controll that led up to the accident. No charges were laid so dosen't that say anything? I was driving a Geo Storm I have to admit that it is quick for a small car, but I was never going over 120km/h!

So was I racing?

Dave

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 06:04 PM   #54
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by '88 325e

What! You have to be joking! I admited that I made a mistake and there were circumstances that I couldn't controll that led up to the accident. No charges were laid so dosen't that say anything? I was driving a Geo Storm I have to admit that it is quick for a small car, but I was never going over 120km/h!

So was I racing?

Dave
dave i dont think he meant u were racing.....randy, charlie, bruce and joe and vlad (both) were leading every1....and he prob meant that those guys were racing.

but then again joe...i can recall u having the lead foot most of the time out of all of us! thats not a bad thing i am jus saying.

anyways....in my opinion the only way to stop drag races around here is to put a dam drag strip close to the gta....no1 wants to drive to the other 1 so why not build 1 here? i cud guarentee u that if the drag strip was built....the amount of streetraces going on everynite will decrease. doesnt any1 else agree with me on this?
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:13 PM   #55
PCDawg
2nd Gear Member

There were proposals to place drag strips close to the GTA but was shut down by the public and polititians.....why?!?!

Because it would encourage everyone to try it out and since it is close by, they can make it a hobby.....which would in turn pour onto the streets of Toronto.....

By making it further away......people wont be able to know about it....(they will through word-of-mouth) but not from experience....if they experience it...the adreliline will take over and cause them to tune and tune to compete.....

Not many people will drive long distances to drag race, by making it further away, it makes people not know what they are missing...

By saying it will decrease street racing by placing a drag strip?? No...it will encourage them ....
Old 07-11-2002, 08:16 PM   #56
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i think it wud decrease the amounnt of streetraces...maybe not by a huge amount but it will be noticable becuz ppl will realize that theres no point of racing on the street for free, but risking that they will get busted and might as well go race at the strip where they wont get busted. if there r less races on the streets, cops can spend more of their time looking out for other things than kids racing cars. there shud be some proof that we cud show the government that ppl r actually interested in this...if there is enuf ppl willing so then it might happen...

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 07-11-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:44 PM   #57
SickFinga

I don't race at all. Why?
1. I'm scared of cops.
2. What's the point of racing in 1/4mile? Trying to prove that my car is faster/slower? Do I really care? no.

I better spend $15 on autocross with twist and turn than $15 just for going streight.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:14 PM   #58
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally posted by '88 325e

So was I racing?

Dave

Dave, i never meant to imply you were racing or that you were driving in any abnormal way, it was just the situtation which happened, which could have happened (and almost did) to many of us on the cruize. The fact you ran against the guardrail show you were on the ball and aware of your surroundings and if it wasnt for your actions Spiked Lemon would have been in worse shape than he was.

The point i was going to try and make probably isnt worth it but i hope you didnt take it as a personal attack or anything as such as i never intended it to be that.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #59
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover

dave i dont think he meant u were racing.....randy, charlie, bruce and joe and vlad (both) were leading every1....and he prob meant that those guys were racing.

but then again joe...i can recall u having the lead foot most of the time out of all of us! thats not a bad thing i am jus saying.

anyways....in my opinion the only way to stop drag races around here is to put a dam drag strip close to the gta....no1 wants to drive to the other 1 so why not build 1 here? i cud guarentee u that if the drag strip was built....the amount of streetraces going on everynite will decrease. doesnt any1 else agree with me on this?
i agree i have a bit of a lead foot but what do you expect, i have a size 11 shoe (any women reading this?);

I agree with you that maybe going as fast as i was for as far as i did may have not been the most brightest idea i've ever had (it was fun keeping up with those m3's) but when i was coming up to traffic i would always slow down, unless a saw a nice opening and went for it, why? because i actually l ike my car, and if it came down racing on a highway where there is lots of clear/open road to drive on it then i might consider it but to weave in and out of traffic, on a pretty busy street where there are clearly lots of cars i wouldnt bother with it.

By any means i am not saying it is by any means right/ok to do what i do or for other to do what they do, ****, i sell porn on the net but what i am saying is that when it shit happens it happens and if innocent people get hurt or even worse, die, i know i could never have the inner peace i do now, knowing i killed someones loved one.

So, to make a long story short:
Sure, sometimes it can be safe to go 200km/hr however, like those street racers were doing, going 200km/hr (i dont know if they were or not) on busy main streets with lots of traffic is a dumb idea.

Joe
Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM   #60
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
I don't race at all. Why?
1. I'm scared of cops.
2. What's the point of racing in 1/4mile? Trying to prove that my car is faster/slower? Do I really care? no.

I better spend $15 on autocross with twist and turn than $15 just for going streight.
Are you telling me you've never raced, even when you had a safe distance and some guy, who had his chick in the car was trying to show off and you know in the first 10 seconds you could show him who is boss?

I dunno, i think that would be tempting, even for Dave!

Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: