Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-02-2002, 09:41 PM   #1
Gamite

Reasons why I F***in hate Bell Sympatico.

Uploads friggen suck 12k/s. Downloads suck 120k/s.

They've gone out of service for a few days at a time 3 times during the days I've had it.

When I call tech support and ask them why my internet is down, their reply is: "Sorry, we're in Ottawa, so I have no idea whats going on in Toronto"

When I ask them when I can expect to see service again their reply is: "Sorry, we're in Ottawa, so I have no idea whats going on in Toronto"

I just moved, and they say that I have to get a new modem for it work, so I give them my address, but nothing comes for a whole MONTH!

I give up and just order Rogers.

A month later they bill me $345 for not returning the modem. Ok, no prob, I return the modem.

4 months later, which is now, they're billing me $345 AGAIN for not returning the modem.. and I cant find the ****ing recipt so they wont refund me!

ARRGGHH.. @#$#

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

oh man dude that sucks..i know from past experience how bell works...thats why i went back to rogers...those guys always try to **** u over...rite after i quit with them they ****ed up our phones..and said a bunch of shit had to be replaced....totaling around $600!!!!!!! bunch of cocks i tell ya
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Holy crap! I would call and demand to speak to a supervisor about that modem! I would seriously bitch the ear off that person untill the situation is "fixed"! If that dosen't work then ask for the head office for Bell. Remember this saying guys "The customer is ALWAYS right!" and "EVERYONE has a boss!". Use them wisely young jedi's!

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
Gamite

I talked to the supervisor today, they said they'd start an investigation to find the modem. Gonna call back in a week.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
gues whoo my mom works for

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:31 AM   #6
Foc us
4th Gear Member

I'm with Sympatico and I'm doing fine with it especially I can hook 1-5 comps to it without using a router .
Maybe I'm the rare bunch but when I called tech support, even the low level guys doen't know jack **** about DSL but the higher level guys knows what they're doing.
Anyways, in my area, Rogers goes down a lot and there is not much outage with my sympatico, maybe you just need a new line card or something.
BTW, what kind of modem were you using?? Maybe the modem's not reliable.
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

i ****in hate em i had sympatico for about 4 years since 96 nothing but problems. so i switched to rogers.....much better but my download time is pretty dam slow like anywhere from 2k to 37k is there any way to fix that???
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:00 AM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: Reasons why I F***in hate Bell Sympatico.

I have both Rogers and Simpatico. Simpactico speeds are actually 15kb/s for upload and about 125kb/s for download, which is not too bad considering that the ping times are VERY low. The Rogers is about ~950kb/s for download and ~65kb/s for upload but you are using the same pipe as everybody else, so you never can see such speeds. The ping is also much higher 200+. Rogers has a much longer lease on the ip addresses than Bell so you can have a pretty much static ip address.

Overall they both suck for anything but a regualar personal use like email and browsing. I've never had a problem with Bell Simpatico.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
Uploads friggen suck 12k/s. Downloads suck 120k/s.

They've gone out of service for a few days at a time 3 times during the days I've had it.

When I call tech support and ask them why my internet is down, their reply is: "Sorry, we're in Ottawa, so I have no idea whats going on in Toronto"

When I ask them when I can expect to see service again their reply is: "Sorry, we're in Ottawa, so I have no idea whats going on in Toronto"

I just moved, and they say that I have to get a new modem for it work, so I give them my address, but nothing comes for a whole MONTH!

I give up and just order Rogers.

A month later they bill me $345 for not returning the modem. Ok, no prob, I return the modem.

4 months later, which is now, they're billing me $345 AGAIN for not returning the modem.. and I cant find the ****ing recipt so they wont refund me!

ARRGGHH.. @#$#

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #9
Gamite

Re: Re: Reasons why I F***in hate Bell Sympatico.

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
The Rogers is about ~950kb/s for download and ~65kb/s
The modem that rogers supplies you with is a 3Mbit modem which means only 375kb/s. The upstream is only 45kb/s which I do see often, and is much better for my needs.

I've had rogers go down once or twice, but only for an hour. Which beats the multiple days that sympatico was down. As for pings, sympatico has a more stable ping than cable, but when your playing games it doesnt make much of a difference. In any event, I'm much happier with Rogers, the faster downloads and uploads and only minor down time. Plus I get Rogers VIP with this, so I get 10% off my internet and cell phone bill.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:43 PM   #10
Furious
BMW again.

well as a BELL employee and someone who fixes High Speed internet connections,,let me tell ya something,,At least your not on Rogers High speed ..there much much worse in all catagories trust me (and thats a non-bias testomonial,,i also hate bell,,they just pay the bills)..besides in a few years well all be looking at the possiblility of VDSL,, or basically fibre optics to the door step (were so far behind the states its not even funny)
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:45 AM   #11
Foc us
4th Gear Member

Furious:
yeah I agreed to the "we're too far behind" point, but for normal users, using the pppoe software is a bit too much since when I was using it with ME, I need to tweak it alot just to get 995kbps down and 128kbps up in the bell's test site and you have to understand furious, not everyone is as patient as I am.
Rogers, on the other hand is quite user friendly, just plug and play, plus it has no problem downloading stuffs from foreign sites! With bell, you have to cross your fingers and hope. I still got 7 tickets in my Sympatico account and it's been 3-4 months.
You have to admit that Bell is having serious compatibility issues, especially Bell is capping us at 5 GB of download and 5 GB of upload, even though I'm a Sympatico user, I''ll pick Rogers anytime any day!
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:31 AM   #12
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Re: Re: Re: Reasons why I F***in hate Bell Sympatico.

Not completely correct.

Rogers just like Bell has several different modems. To give you an example, mine is a 4 year old Motorolla that I got when I moved in my new house. My provider back then was Shaw@home. The modem is 10MBit/s download(max theoretical speed) and 500kbs/s upstream.

To give an idea of the speeds, when I moved in I could do almost most of the time (any time of the day) 65kb/s upstream , and 450+kb/s downsteam.

Here is the scrary part: I had seen speeds up to 970kb/s +/- 100kb/s (software calculation error). This would only happen at 3-5am.

If you are the only person sitting on the hub, Rogers/@home is VERY VERY fast especially with the old modems.

Serge

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite

The modem that rogers supplies you with is a 3Mbit modem which means only 375kb/s. The upstream is only 45kb/s which I do see often, and is much better for my needs.

I've had rogers go down once or twice, but only for an hour. Which beats the multiple days that sympatico was down. As for pings, sympatico has a more stable ping than cable, but when your playing games it doesnt make much of a difference. In any event, I'm much happier with Rogers, the faster downloads and uploads and only minor down time. Plus I get Rogers VIP with this, so I get 10% off my internet and cell phone bill.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:48 AM   #13
SickFinga

Rogers sucks!!! Shaw was sick and fast as hell.
When I had shaw my speed were 600kb/sec downstream and 150b/s upstream.
Now I got 200kb/s downstream and 15kb/s upstream.
there is nothing to do with modems. Providers cap your connection.
What motrolla modem you got? white one(3 leds) or grey one(6leds) ???

Btw did you hear that sympatico gonna charge for excessive bandwidth use?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:02 PM   #14
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
gamite: my work resells dsl through nexxia which is the same service as sympatico, except we use our own servers. All i can say, is that bell ****s it up for our company as well as the people they service. We never have any problems on our end with dsl, it's always a problem with bell though, they disconnect somebody's line by accident, they have C.O. outages, they change to a new C.O. putting some of our customers out of range etc...ugh i hate ****in' bell sometimes. Not to mention they now cap your downloads n sh*t

I'm with rogers, and have a 12Mbit modem that they gave me, and it has been clocked at around 896kb/s download and 150kb/s upload. Lately however now that more people have jumped onto using it, it's dropped in speed a little, but i'm still getting around 400kb/s and higher while downloading off of oc3's etc.
i've been satisfied with the service for about 4 years now?
it has it's outages, but people forget that EVERY iSP has problems, and outages. Most of my company's outages are because of construction crews severing fiber optics, or when somebody out in the boonies crashes into a telephone pole
taking down the small town's phone systems
(of course our customers blame us for the outages =)

Oh and when sympatico is saying to you that they dont know what's happening in toronto, they're ****in' liars. Even in my company I personally can't keep track of every city, but when i suspect a problem, i can test dialup from my machine to that pop number and test it.
i can even call the NOCC (network operations control center), and ask them to run a test on the lines etc.
the reps at bell seem retarded, just like the nexxia and centrex reps of theirs i deal with...all retarded and determined to make YOUR call more difficult.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 07-04-2002 at 01:07 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:01 PM   #15
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
Rogers sucks!!! Shaw was sick and fast as hell.
When I had shaw my speed were 600kb/sec downstream and 150b/s upstream.
Now I got 200kb/s downstream and 15kb/s upstream.
there is nothing to do with modems. Providers cap your connection.
What motrolla modem you got? white one(3 leds) or grey one(6leds) ???

Btw did you hear that sympatico gonna charge for excessive bandwidth use?

Shaw was good because the demand on the system wasnt as high as rogers and bell...and as for the charge for bandwith issue,,, i think the thing is gonna be if your gonna stick to the 1.6Meg your gonna keep the same price,, the max capability on the modems that bell users have is 8 Meg. some or almost everyone should have the capability of at least 6 or 7 MEG..,, the only thing bell has to do is turn it up to the speed you want..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: