Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
samhill
1st Gear Newbie

Sport and Performance Packages

Do any owners out there have specific experience with base, Sport and Performance Package 3-series cars? How about Performanace Package buyers - why did you buy the perf. package? Do you use the car on the track? Thanks for any info. I'm trying to weigh this in my purchase decision (also deciding 3-series vs. used 5-series).

Samhill
samhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
sonny
6th Gear Member

I have a 2001 325i with the luxury and sport package. Sport suspension looks amazing but there is still a little gap between the tires and fender. Besides that, it's a quality ride.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I've had lots of experience with the base and SP suspensions. In short: get the sport package, it makes a HUGE difference. Especially the seats, the non-sport ones are horribly flat and unsupportive.

The ZHP (performance) package has a lot of frilly stuff, but still has a few useful parts. I'd say if you're planning to keep the car a long time get the ZHP one, but if you're likely going to sell it within 6 years or so you'd never get the money back on the resale.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
rendered
6th Gear Member

I'm buying a 2004 330ci with the m package... what is a ZHP package? thanks
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
EricE330ci
3rd Gear Member

ZHP is the code that the dealer puts on the options. They call it the M package.

M-Tech body kit
M Sport II suspension
18" wheels
Alcantera seats
cams
final drive ratio

Those are some of the major changes.

The kit, wheels and seats alone are worth the extra $$$
EricE330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yes, sorry, we were using the ZHP and Performance Package nomenclature because he lives in the U.S., where they don't refer to it as M-Sport.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
EricE330ci
3rd Gear Member

Doh...
Didn't see he was from the US.
EricE330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #8
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
My dad has the luxury pkg on his but non sport package. Sport package is worth the money unless you are going re change the suspension yourself and as other people said you get the nice sport seats.

My dad really regrets not getting the sports pkg......

Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
JS328
2nd Gear Member

I can also vouch for the sport package as well. My E46 Touring doesn't have the sport package and the seats are horrible. The seats alone are worth the money. Had we not walked into a good deal on the Touring, I would have ordered a brand new one with the sport package. (The M-Sport package wasn't available on the Touring until the 2004's..)

The suspension on the non-sport package cars are still better than most other vehicles on the road. You are still getting BMW handling.. just with a much cushier ride.

My E36 has the sport package and is a much more comfortable car for long trips.

Joe
Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
Rubber Ducky
1st Gear Newbie

Have a '04 ZHP 330i, manual, alcantara, fully broken in (sold the GTI).

Last Saturday I made a daytime speed run across the Beeline from Cocoa Beach to Orlando and then ziggied thru fairly dense Orlando traffic - returned to CCB before nitefall. Being alone, was able to hammer the car and move it through traffic. Incredible! Point-and-shoot, run the gears, perfect control, perfectly poised suspension, quick revs, all in state-of-art comfort. The only thing missing was Wagner and The Ride of the Valkeries. If you are going to be irresponsible in a car, this is the one to do it in.

In a long lifetime of performance cars, including a 'vette, a Z-28, a Mustang, & 3 previous Bimmers, this is far and away the best handling, most fun car I've ever driven. The performance package is the ideal kit for public streets and open road.

Drive it like you stole it...
Rubber Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #11
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Re: Sport and Performance Packages

Quote:
Originally posted by samhill
Do any owners out there have specific experience with base, Sport and Performance Package 3-series cars? How about Performanace Package buyers - why did you buy the perf. package? Do you use the car on the track? Thanks for any info. I'm trying to weigh this in my purchase decision (also deciding 3-series vs. used 5-series).

Samhill
I am not sure if you already made up your mind on this, but here is my 2 cents (I driven Sport suspension on 328Ci '00 and Sport Level II suspension on 330Ci '03 which is the same on as on ZHP/Performance Model):

- sport suspension is good for city driving but there is still noticeable body roll if you want to push the car a bit on corners and/or highway exits/entrance; At the back of your head you will be thinking this (suspension) can definetely be better.

- Sport Level II suspension, body roll is gone completely in city driving. You will actually start thinking that the car rides like on rails .... yes, I realize it is a bit of exaggeration, but it will cross your mind it is that good. Also, any firmer springs and the ride will probably be very harsh. HIGHLY recommend.

Much better at the track than stock suspension. At sharp/hair-pin corners when pushing the car it still leans noticeably .... as a driver you don't really feel this leaning but photos tell story. One of my instructors, who also races his 328is with complete M3 suspension, drove my car and said the suspension was very good and there is nothing wrong with it.

>>> It's all comes down if you want to keep the car stock or not for different reasons like:
- if you are leasing the car;
- you like the whole car/parts to be under warranty without worrying what the dealer says if something goes wrong.
- you don't feel like telling your car insurance company that you did several mechanical mods on your car.

If you want to keep it stock, I would highly recommend ZPH for suspension, acceleration improvements and aerodynamic package. All these extras together definetely worth the money.

If you are thinking of modding your car, you probably can achieve the same things or better than in ZPH for less money.

AlexM520
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #12
d12
3rd Gear Member

normal sport package - 225 hp
ZHP (in canada known as M package) - 235 hp
d12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
S.A.330iM
1st Gear Newbie

I have an Msport pck in my 2004 330i. What are the differences between what i have and what is in the ZHP/performance pck?
I can only find differences between ZHP and sport pck. Thanks
S.A.330iM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Sneaky
One of the Zealots

Its the same thing
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.330iM View Post
I have an Msport pck in my 2004 330i. What are the differences between what i have and what is in the ZHP/performance pck?
I can only find differences between ZHP and sport pck. Thanks

M-Sport Package and M-Performance Package are the same, except for the M-Performance Package, it has a shorter final drive, a ZHP exhaust (does not have the vacuum actuator plate that all 330's have), the handbrake and shifter boot are alcantara, and supposely the cams are a little more aggressive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: