Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
DavidM5
Speed addict!!

M5(E39) vs M3(E30)

Guys,
I just had a quick run with a black E30 M3 down Allen Rd today!
We were pulled up beside each other at a light and I talked to the 2 guys in the car, they said let's have a quick run so I take the bait, why not?

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I had a bad launch and they were off like a bat out of hell!
(I have to be careful because if I slip the clutch accidentally, that's it for me, the clutch will slip badly.)
They were actually 2-3 car lengths ahead at the top of the 2nd gear.

It took me to the end of the third gear before I reeled them in!

Anyways, we pulled up to the next light I they mentioned that they had a M6 engine with 410hp under the hood!WTF!
I don't feel so badly now...

But is it anyone from these boards?

PS I just remembered that I also had 4 passengers in my car which accounted for the not so fast acceleration
DavidM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Holy Smoke....that must've been a humbling experience at first! Your car should eat the E30, even with a bad launch!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 AM   #3
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
I call bull on this story.
BMW M6 engine produces Horsepower: 256 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 243 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:07 AM   #4
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Well, if the 333 really had 410HP, DavidM5 would have never caught him, even at the end of 6th. I say Bull on the M6 motor. However, to challenge an M5, you'd better be READY with something good! Even though my car is fairly quick, I wouldn't bother serving up my butt to an M5, or even another 540 for that matter.... I can't beat a M5, maybe tie with a stock 540 which becomes a who has more balls situation.

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 07-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
DavidM5
Speed addict!!

Trust me, this guy was very fast!
I doubt that he had 410hp as well because I caught up to him by 180km/h but it could have been that he let off too...180K along Allen between Finch towards the 401 is a little crazy during the day.

Man I wish I could have another run at him but w/o any passengers this time!

Also I do know how to drive fast, with 6 years of solo 1 and 2 experience and about 40 trophies as a result and also having hit the speed limiter on a few occasions with my GPS recording 262km/h.
It's just that the M5 clutch is the weakest part of the car right now

Last edited by DavidM5; 07-18-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

True.....letting up..... I think he has demonstrated his car's power if you haven't caught up till 180!!

BTW, How does the M5 work for Autocross? I am going to take my 540 when eiher my wife let's me out, or she let's me buy helmets for the kids. I notice at some local events that a lot of RWD V8 powered cars turn in times slower than almost an entire class of lighter FWD rice rockets!

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
be prepare to spend money on clutches, E39 6speed clutches are nortorious for going out, talk to many 6speed owners, they replace a clutch every year

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
DavidM5
Speed addict!!

The M5 stock is not very fun to drive on an autocross or a track day.
It understeers like a b**ch and eats up tires like crazy.
I've did a few lapping days last year and although it was fast in the straights, the corners had to be taken rather delicately slowly because of the weight and narrower front tires.

And after 3 lapping days, the front tires were chewed up! (at $600 a piece! Ouch!)

It needs a aftermarket suspension to do well at the track.

BTW, my ex 540 did not have a weak clutch compared to the M5.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by windwagen
Well, if the 333 really had 410HP, DavidM5 would have never caught him, even at the end of 6th. I say Bull on the M6 motor. However, to challenge an M5, you'd better be READY with something good! Even though my car is fairly quick, I wouldn't bother serving up my butt to an M5, or even another 540 for that matter.... I can't beat a M5, maybe tie with a stock 540 which becomes a who has more balls situation.

Why say Bull on the M6 motor? You can get close to 400 hp from them if you do them up properly....

I talked to the owner of that car today, his name is Val and he runs VLS Auto Sales on Chesswood Dr.

He said he only saw a child in the car besides the driver, maybe the others were in the trunk?

Last edited by MarkD; 07-19-2004 at 03:39 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
DavidM5
Speed addict!!

Don't be a smart ass

He said he only saw a child in the car besides the driver, maybe the others were in the trunk? [/b][/quote]

I had my 3 sons and a nephew in the car in the back seat. We were coming back from a party and my wife was in another car with some friends.

My sons weigh 150, 140 and 70 lbs, and my nephew maybe 80 lbs?
I myself weigh 220 lbs.

The trunk was full of party stuff maybe another 100 lbs.

So the car was loaded with 760 lbs.

Did he tell you that the side window blinds/sunshades were closed because it was a HOT day?
How could he have seen the kids in the back?

Don't be a smart ass.

BTW, Tell your friend what I that I always liked the E30 M3, being one of the best designed BMWs of that era. (I told them 'nice car!')
To have one with a M6 motor makes it a 'sleeper' of sort although the body style shouts "WOLF!"

Last edited by DavidM5; 07-19-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
Castel
4th Gear Member

your wife must be proud.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
johnoz
/OO=[][]=OO\

You had almost 4 kids in the car and was doing 180+ km/h on Allen Rd?

*shakes head*. How come cops only ticket me on empty Hwy 402 doing 140 all the time?
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
DavidM5
Speed addict!!

Castel,

Like the disclaimer: Don't try this at home!

I don't usually drive fast with the kids in the car. Actually, believe it or not, I don't drive like a madman everyday hence NO speeding tickets for the last 8 years. (sound of wood knocking!!)

I guess I'm lucky my wife approves of my toys. (how do you explain to your wife why you need 400hp in a car when the speed limit is 100km/h?)

She actually drives around quicker than me in our MDX and has 2 tickets to her name;( Mind you they are silly ones like 55 in a 40, 68 in a 50.

She used to blast around the racetrack during the time I was very heavily involved in Solo 1 & 2 so she has above average driving skills as well.

My kids love speed. In fact I'm getting my kids involved in karting so by the time they get their driving licences, they know what the heck they are doing.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
Castel
4th Gear Member

man, you sound like a 16 year old ricer. you wanna race, i'll take you to some races. it only takes one crash to kill your kids. the fact they kart doesn't mean shit. you are the perfect reason why police should target actions and not cars. plenty of my friends drive modded cars but they drive them legally.

like i said, there is a time and place. perhaps if you've ever seen what 4000lbs of steel does to a body you'd understand.

i'm 21 and don't have any kids.. even i find this a little more than messed up.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 PM   #15
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Easy Easy...gettin a little off topic for this forum!! Hey I know Val too... In fact, I bought my 540 from him. I remember him telling me about the M3 with the M6 motor before he even bought the car. It's been a while but I think the car is a Euro import?? I questioned the power because David M5 said he caught up, and he only has 394 hp, and much more weight. But he then explained that maybe the M3 was finished racing.

Some woman driving a minivan gave me crap for driving like a maniac with my son in the back. All I did was pass her on the right as the lane was ending. I didn't think it was dangerous... I had at least 100m to go, and it took maybe 0.5 sec to pass her turtle. Anyway, I was at the supermailbox when she pulled up 5 minutes later. I thought she was asking for directions! When I realized what was going on, I just got back in and drove away. Why would I want to listen to that garbage??

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: