Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-23-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

You have to see this..

hey guys check this out

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=198722
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
heh u posted it for me good show

its a 318 with an s2000 motor

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

why did he put an s2000 motor in it...sorry but if i were him i wud have put an m3 engine or somethin...oh well...it gets any1s attention tho
Old 06-24-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
PrinceE30
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to PrinceE30
M engines aren't that cheap. I doubt you can pick and choose too much what you get in a place like that.

-Prince

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 06-24-2002 at 01:33 PM.
PrinceE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
SickFinga

s2000 engine is cheaper, plus it is lighter, plus it produced the same hp.
so it's not a bad mod.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

yea but it does lack the torque that an m3 enigne has, 3.2L vs 2L, and diff compressions and everything.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:19 PM   #7
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Thats so gay, why would anyone do that? I'm sure it required lots of mods and even if the engine was cheaper everything else wasn't. For sure its not a straight bolt-on. Just another high compression Honda engine w/ no torque, all high end HP. I'd rather rev the shit outta my engine then rev the shit outta that one. Whats the S2000's compression ratio? 11.5 or something?

Normally I would not have a problem with this, eg. I've seen people w/ Lotus's swap Type-R motors. Only one problem, BMW's are not super lightweight cars like Lotus so they need TORQUE! I just fail to see the point. Trying to be different by having a different motor while he could have got a dowing atlanta Eaton blower for less than the price of that swap, just doesn't make sense to me.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 06-24-2002 at 06:23 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD
Thats so gay, why would anyone do that? I'm sure it required lots of mods and even if the engine was cheaper everything else wasn't. For sure its not a straight bolt-on. Just another high compression Honda engine w/ no torque, all high end HP. I'd rather rev the shit outta my engine then rev the shit outta that one. Whats the S2000's compression ratio? 11.5 or something?

Normally I would not have a problem with this, eg. I've seen people w/ Lotus's swap Type-R motors. Only one problem, BMW's are not super lightweight cars like Lotus so they need TORQUE! I just fail to see the point. Trying to be different by having a different motor while he could have got a dowing atlanta Eaton blower for less than the price of that swap, just doesn't make sense to me.

Bryan
It is a nice mod, IMO, e30 are pretty light, wasup with compression? new m3 is pretty high in compression. And I don't understand you 318 guys.
Why do you suggest adding blower to 318 engine instead of m3 engine, and plus after a couple of months/years add turbo to m3 engine?

Yes you will never get your money back, BUT that would one of a kind. And I wouldn't care about resale value
Old 06-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

It is a nice mod, IMO, e30 are pretty light, wasup with compression? new m3 is pretty high in compression. And I don't understand you 318 guys.
Why do you suggest adding blower to 318 engine instead of m3 engine, and plus after a couple of months/years add turbo to m3 engine?

Yes you will never get your money back, BUT that would one of a kind. And I wouldn't care about resale value
Vlad,

Eaton blower on a 318 gives you 230HP and 210 lbs*ft of torque. It only runs from 5-8psi and gives boost at 1000RPM. No comprimise. Eaton blowers are used on Jags and Mercedies so their reliability is unquestionable. Swapping an M3 engine into a 318 would cost more than just the engine itself, its not as simple as swapping it into a 325 or 328. You need to change the engine mouting positions, shocks, springs, exhaust, tranny, differential, etc. How much is that going to cost in the end? For $5000Cdn or less I can get the Eaton blower and have the lightweight body of the 318. All the supercharger ever needs fixed is maybe a belt replacement.

What do you mean whats up with compression? Your telling me the M3 has high compression so that isn't a good thing eh? My car is 10 or 10.5 I can't remember. But higher compression generally means the engine will be worked harder sqeezing every bit of performance out of it. To me, its just means higher maintenece and more frequent engine rebuilds.

Lastly, consider the weight of an S2000 Honda roadster to an E30. E30's will be much much heavier than a Honda roadster, it won't run the same times as those claimed by the S2000. The car will be dogged by comprimises.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 06-24-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:12 AM   #10
SickFinga

e36 m3 is 10.5
e36 318 is 10
e46 m3 is 11.5
s2000 is 11

lightweight body of 318????? doesn't think so, maybe 318ti is lighter.

To be honest with you I'm not fan of 1.8l and new m3 engines.
All those horror stories about those engines doesn't make BMW look good.

Also I meant 325engine in 318ti and turbocharge it.
m3 euro engine in 318ti is my dream.
Like if you have 318i or is yes go with supercharger, but if I had 318ti I would think about 6cyl swap.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:17 AM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

m3ti with a turbo...imagine the time slips on that thing! then beefing up the engine to run higher boost...dam that wud be a crazy car...
Old 06-25-2002, 01:26 AM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
e36 m3 is 10.5
e36 318 is 10
e46 m3 is 11.5
s2000 is 11

lightweight body of 318????? doesn't think so, maybe 318ti is lighter.

To be honest with you I'm not fan of 1.8l and new m3 engines.
All those horror stories about those engines doesn't make BMW look good.

Also I meant 325engine in 318ti and turbocharge it.
m3 euro engine in 318ti is my dream.
Like if you have 318i or is yes go with supercharger, but if I had 318ti I would think about 6cyl swap.
E36 318i is only 2800lbs. What horror stories about the 318 and new M3? I've never had any problems with the 318 the whole 11 years that my whole family owned it. If are you comparing HP, then a supercharged 318 produces almost just as much as the M3. Of course HP doesn't mean shit without torque. I mean, who cares if S2000 produces more HP per liter, its just a selling gimmick to attact customers. Where is the torque? If you have ever driven a Honda you would know. On a GS-R you really have to rev it up in the 5000RPM+ rev range to get power, otherwise those cars are dog slow.

I don't understand all these people who just get a new car then want to swap an M3 engine and turbocharge it. I think they are trying to commit suicide. They don't even have the basic feel for the BMW's hanlding yet. Always make sure your cars handling capabilities out perform your cars power. If not then your dead meat. I can still out perform my cars handling capabilities in my 318, so I need to improve the handling before I work on any serious engine modifications.

Whats the difference between swapping a 6 cyl into a 318ti and 318i? Its still just as difficult if not even more difficult on the "ti". After spending about $10,000 to swap the 6 cyl motor and everything else you need into the 318ti you still have to turbocharge it.. hmmm $30,000 extra for a turbo charged 325? I think I'll just get an M3.

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 06-25-2002 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:36 AM   #13
SickFinga

about 318 I heard stories that it is not realible, ask Rolled Out.
e46 m3?? www.mfailure.com

s2000 are pretty quick no questions here.
Also I like s2000. It's not a highway killer, but still it nice and fast.
Yes torque and hp means a lot. Did you try to loose those X5 and 745i on the highway? I tried, no luck. They are right on my ass.
And those damn Euro M3s are damn fast!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #14
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
about 318 I heard stories that it is not realible, ask Rolled Out.
e46 m3?? www.mfailure.com

s2000 are pretty quick no questions here.
Also I like s2000. It's not a highway killer, but still it nice and fast.
Yes torque and hp means a lot. Did you try to loose those X5 and 745i on the highway? I tried, no luck. They are right on my ass.
And those damn Euro M3s are damn fast!!!!!!!!!!
NO offsense to you rolled_out, but anyone who manages to break his differential with an automatic transmission is obviously abusing the car beyond belief.

Your still missing the point though, your talkign about S2000 being fast on the highway. What about the city? Thats what I'm talking about, TORQUE. Honda = no low end torque. I've said it once and I'll say it again. Honda is a great track car, but on the city streets its crap to drive.

Bryan

Old 06-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #15
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD

Whats the difference between swapping a 6 cyl into a 318ti and 318i? Its still just as difficult if not even more difficult on the "ti". After spending about $10,000 to swap the 6 cyl motor and everything else you need into the 318ti you still have to turbocharge it.. hmmm $30,000 extra for a turbo charged 325? I think I'll just get an M3.

Bryan

Because you can get 325i and you can't get 325ti here.
That was my point.
Yes it will be costly, noone said it would be cheap. But it would be a sick set up.
I would take 332ti over m3 any day!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: