Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-20-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Thumbs up E36 Owners, check your ignition coils asap! <--A MUST READ

Heya, the forum is finally back! *whew*

Anyway, the past few days my car went from running like sh*t, to running like she was brand new, and here's why...

Have you ever had a hesitation problem with your M50, but it wasn't your DME, plugs, vaccum/air leaks, water, o2 sensor, etc etc etc? Do you have stumbling accelleration, like your car is bucking forward during lower rpms? Then you've probably got what I had, shoddy ignition coils!

Before I go any further, lemme say, if you haven't forked over the $70 or so for a Bentley Repair Manual, GO DO IT NOW! Stop reading! Goto amazon's website and order a copy because you're soooooo missing out!

That aside, my first crack at repairing my shoddy coil problem was, the home mechanic's method of, "let's buy a good coil, and swap it with coil #1, and see how she runs, still the same? Let's try #2 now..." etc etc etc. This is a pain in the arse, and actually doesn't solve anything if you've got the dreaded "multiple shoddy coil syndrome"

What do you do now? You've got more than one coil bad, and you can't visually tell which ones they are!
OMG, TIME TO GOTO THE DEALER RIGHT? .... NO!
WTF? BUY 6 NEW COILS AND SPEND $250?? .... NO!

well?????

So you pick up your bentley manual (because you bought one right? Hey, it's free shipping from amazon, what have you got to lose!?)
After much reading, and drooling , over all it's wonderful information, you find yourself reading the section on testing coils.

So....what do you do?? Well, you grab your multimeter, (or ohm meter if you're a geek and have a seperate device for everything like myself), and proceed to remove all of your coils from the car.
Once removed, you can set your multimeter to the OHMS setting, and then take the red and black terminals and touch the two outer prongs on the clip part of each coil. You'll see the numbers fluctuate a little, but what you're looking for is a magic range of numbers.

If your coil is good, you will get a reading of 0.4 to 0.8 ohms

If your coil is bad, then you will get much higher numbers of 0.9 to even 1.4!

You might even have a totally screwed up one that will display numbers that rise and fall, but that probably means there is corrosion on the prongs so clean then with some steel wool or electrical contact cleaner. If it still does that, well, better safe than sorry, put it aside and mark it bad.

So....now that you've found your bad coils, and saved a bundle of time, effort, and money (debatable ), you can proceed to purchase new coils to replace the bad ones. I highly suggest getting coils made by the same manufacturer as it's probably not good to mix/match. I also highly suggest AVOIDING at all costs, any used coils made in 1992, or that came from a '92 e36. The '92 coils are very bad, and often malfunction, especially after 12 years (from what I've read anyway).

Thankfully for myself however, I buy coils from ebay whenever I see em, and I'm glad I did now because I have 18 spares with only 3 of them known bad (which I just removed from my car). Oh, and the best part is, your car will run like you've NEVER felt it run before (or at least not in a long time I bet), and you'll be kicking yourself for not doing this beforehand!

p.s. using the stock OEM $6 plugs from crappy tire also made a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference with my car. I will never use 'designer' plugs again, especially after reading so much on ignition lately, a lot of tuners out there will agree with that statement.

now get out there and start turning the 10mm socket wrench!

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 06-20-2004 at 01:57 AM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Your PM box is full, i need some help!
Old 06-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
try now....

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 06-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Re: E36 Owners, check your ignition coils asap! <--A MUST READ

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
Have you ever had a hesitation problem with your M50, but it wasn't your DME, plugs, vaccum/air leaks, water, o2 sensor, etc etc etc? Do you have stumbling accelleration, like your car is bucking forward during lower rpms?
I think I have that exact problem... I just bought spark plugs from the dealership last week, but havent gotten around to changing them yet. In case I still have the problem, maybe I'll check the coils next.... but instead of buying the manual (since i dont have money for that right now), would u be willing to scan the pages for changing the ignition coils and send or post them?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
suicide
on my 3rd 3-series ;-)

Send a message via ICQ to suicide Send a message via MSN to suicide
thanx man this is really going to help me out... my car really lags bad off the line... and then out of no where its like i gained 100hp.... it feels like i got turbo almost
Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
BiBimBap
4th Gear Member

Hmm.. lately i've been feeling that draggy lagging acceleration too.. i better check this out.

Thanks for the heads up...
BiBimBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
Gurvinder
4th Gear Member

Yea im getting the same thing as well like a turbo also would that affect the top end speed as well like over 140.
thanks
Gurvinder
Gurvinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:20 PM   #8
qwk325
6th Gear Member

Geeeezzzz, and I spentall this money to port and polish and cams and its only the coils shit !!!!!! thanx contra mine just started acting up.

COME ON DOWN !!!!
qwk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
suicide
on my 3rd 3-series ;-)

Send a message via ICQ to suicide Send a message via MSN to suicide
turns out i had 4 that were dead... i think it was the 2,3,4,5 the 1 and 6 were fine... i am ordering performance coils....
Old 06-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
hmm... I just checked my car with my peake research tool.. and it came up with no fault codes.... does this mean all my coils are fine? (since it reports when they're bad)... or can the tool miss it even though they really do need changing?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #11
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
My car's running fine but this is a great money saver

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #12
paul
5th Gear Member

are m3 coils better then a 325i coils? can i use m3 coils on a 325i. because i have a set. should i put them on
Old 07-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #13
E30RANGER
1st Gear Newbie

Which coils are you talking about any pic?
E30RANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #14
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Paul: All OBDI 6cyl e36's use the same coils (whether it be m3, 325, etc), however, OBDII cars use coils of a slightly different design which makes them only fit the OBDII valve cover. You can get around this however by swapping valve covers

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
Lethal ///M3
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
Paul: All OBDI 6cyl e36's use the same coils (whether it be m3, 325, etc), however, OBDII cars use coils of a slightly different design which makes them only fit the OBDII valve cover. You can get around this however by swapping valve covers
Are you positive an S52 valve cover will fit my S50?

Thanks,
Peter
Lethal ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: