Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
Daydream///M3
4th Gear Member

Bad Experience with AMI Motorsports!!!!

Just warning the members on the board that if you do consider purchasing stuff for your BMW's from AMI Motorsports, I'd suggest thinking twice unless you want to be accompanied with heartaches and bad services if something goes wrong with an item you purchase from them.

Although I know that they are sponsors of this site and advertise here on the forum, Im just warning you guys of merely an experience I had with them and other members I have talked to will vouche for me as well.

Here is the deal and you can make your own assessment.
I purchased a Reiger Rear bumper off these guys for my E36 M3. These bumpers are moulded out of ABS plastic. I send it to my bodyshop to get painted and when I get it back and try to fit it, the bumper with its allignment bracket is warped (enough that it didnt align up but not enough to tell with the naked eye). Anyhow... OK so it doesnt fit and I call them up and speak to them and they said since it was painted, they cant do anything about it and that I should have prefitted it. Point is, I purchased OEM kits from BMW in the past and painted them prior to fitting and they fit a 100% and I did it from my same bodyshop guy. This suggests that there was an initial defect in the bumper and not an artifact of the painting (if that would even alter it). However, the thing that bugged me was that the salesperson didnt seem too helpful when it came to these warranty issues. Sure..., they will jump head over heels to sell you soemthing but when it comes to warranty work, they could care less because they do not peotentially profit on warranty items. I beleive that a store (especially as small as them) should really bank on customer service since those stores rely heavily on word of mouth publicity. Maybe Im wrong and they are right that they could refuse the warranty issues.
They justified the argument by saying that Reiger never had problems with fitments but I can certainly say that I have read several issues on bimmerforums and dtm power saying that people had weird fitments with Reiger products.

Nevertheless, with much heartaches and money from my pocket, I was able to get my bodyshop to modify, drill, refit my bumper onto my car and still it fits a bit awkward. So the overall costs of my bumper exceeded much of what I expected to pay. I figured that even in the glimpse of hope that they gave me a new rear bumper, that they would not pay for painting (which I already realized and accepted). However, the fact that they wouldnt even give me a new bumper was something that I strongly disagreed about. I dont even beleive that they sent the pictures of the non fitting bumper (which I sent to them) to Reiger to analyze.

Nevertheless, they have just lost a customer since I was going to buy a set of FK coilovers and Reiger Roof spoiler but I will look towards getting them now from TUNERWORKS in Alberta as Rob Leech there always gets me what I want and the exact thing I specify. Even warranty with them is excellent. They are honest people and very knowledgeable at Tunerworks and I highly suggest them.

This message isnt intended to flame AMI. I am just dissapointed in their customer service and am just voicing my opinions to other fellow max members so that they do not have to deal with potential griefs when purchasing a product for their cars. This is my own opinion on the matter and people can choose to accept it or refute it however, I am not the only person that has had bad experience with them.

Thats all I wanted to say and moderators Julian and Bruce, you know what Im talking about so please do not erase the post. Its intended to help all other max members so that they can make the right decision next time in purchasing products for their car

Thanks
Daydream///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up, i was actually considering purchasing from them, but bad customer service is a big pet peeve of mine!

Thanks for the heads up, and you took the situation at hand pretty well!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
golden
Doesn't have a car.

i bought suspension from them... had zero problems.. product is great too..
Old 06-20-2004, 12:49 AM   #4
BiBimBap
4th Gear Member

Hmm.. you altered the product after delivery (painted it) and you're complaining that they aren't covering the warpage?

I dunno. If I was buying a product like that.. i wouldn't expect anyone to cover a warranty after I sent it away to get anything done with it.

Not to start a flame war or anything - I know how frustrating things are when parts don't fit or aren't as described. But there is something to be said about taking delivery of a part - altering it - and then realizing that it's not the perfect fit.

If you pre-fitted it and found out that it was warped.. and then they refused the warranty - I'd say you have a legit beef. But not after any work has been done on the product.

Anyways, better luck with future mods. Tunerworks and AMI dudes have been good to my numerous purchases so far..
BiBimBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #5
Daydream///M3
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt consider painting it modifications to the structural integrity of the bumper.
Cutting, and bonding and screwing etc are in my opinion physical alterations to the integrity of the bumper which I did not do.

If you are insinuating that painting warped the bumper, then shouldnt the manufacturer take that into account and make their bumpers in accordance with knowing that the material will warp. Plus, I already stated that with BMW OEM bumpers that I purchased in the past were painted and then fitted with no problems. With that being said, it should negate the fact that I should have fitted this particular Reiger bumper.

Dont worry, I dont think you are flaming or starting wars... I just wanted to give my opinion.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:46 AM   #6
jeremy
6th Gear Member

a body-kit is a body-kit...99.9% of the time you have to trim here and there to make it fit....usaualy companies like rieger will have extra material on their bumpers to begin with....you have to trim it to fit how you like..

as for if it is a legitament warranty claim, that is a whole other story...but generaly, you should do a pre-fit..

just my 0.02

glad to here you were able to make it work in the end
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:26 AM   #7
daytona
6th Gear Member

Majority

of retailers I know will never offer a refund or exchange if the product condition was not the same as when it was sold...they could have offer a discounted future sale but IMHO if the kit was painted then your out of luck......but your arguement has some merit that you expected the "BMW" kit was a perfect fit...it wasnt perfect so then the legality is in the grey zone...I still think they should at least made an effort to help you..oh well...
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:02 AM   #8
SickFinga

I dunno whose really at fault here, AMI for selling defected Rieger or Gavin for painting before pre-fitting.

But here is my store with TUNERWORKS.

When I ordered FK coilovers I had to order spacers also.
I took my car to Charlies house to install coilovers.
He put front and when he put the spacer we realized it wasn't fitting. I checked the box and TUNER shipped me spacers for e39, hubcentric ring was too big.

I ended up with wrong spacers, and since withoug spacers stock rims would rub against the strut my car wasn't drivable.
The only way out was to cut hub centric ring off.
I called up Randy, he came to pick spacers up and took them to his shop to cut the ring off. 30min he came back, put the spacers one and they fitted ok, but just for a short drive.

When I came home, I email Rob at Tuner about the problem, he appologized about it and told me he will ship new, proper set of spacers ASAP. I got them next day in the morning, and they were perfect.

He didn't charge me a cent for the new spacers, overnight UPS shipping and didn't even ask to return old ones.

Even though it was TUNERWORKS' mistake they still get A+ from me for great customers service.

Anyway, Tunerworks took care of my problem, even though I modified the original product, so I dont see why AMI shouldn't take care of Gavin.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:59 AM   #9
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
I dunno whose really at fault here, AMI for selling defected Rieger or Gavin for painting before pre-fitting.

Anyway, Tunerworks took care of my problem, even though I modified the original product, so I dont see why AMI shouldn't take care of Gavin.
Vlad, you are comparing spacers to a $1000 bumper! Plus in your case they were clearly at fault for sending you the wrong spacers. AMI sold the right product that turned to be defective AFTER installation! I'm not deffending AMI or Rieger, if anything it shows that when it comes to bodykits things are NOT as easy as they seem...even very expensive "original" parts can be hard to fit...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Daydream///M3
4th Gear Member

Oh Filip, the thing is your Reiger replica lip fot perfect.
You also assured me if there was any probs, you would help me out so I give you an A+ on service.

Whether or not people think that I am in the wrong here, doesnt really matter since Im not buying anything from them anymore. There customer support was very poor and I will not go back.

Point is, i would have accepted it more if they were at least a bit helpful when I initially called them to report my problem but they seemed a little disinclined to help me.... so the overall opinion is that they dont have very good customer service.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BiBimBap
Hmm.. you altered the product after delivery (painted it) and you're complaining that they aren't covering the warpage?
I dunno. If I was buying a product like that.. i wouldn't expect anyone to cover a warranty after I sent it away to get anything done with it.
Not to start a flame war or anything - I know how frustrating things are when parts don't fit or aren't as described. But there is something to be said about taking delivery of a part - altering it - and then realizing that it's not the perfect fit.
If you pre-fitted it and found out that it was warped.. and then they refused the warranty - I'd say you have a legit beef. But not after any work has been done on the product.
Anyways, better luck with future mods. Tunerworks and AMI dudes have been good to my numerous purchases so far..
I would have to agree with BiBimBap. We can sympathize with your situation and it is your choice if you want to deal with AMI again, but I think the point that people want to share with you is whether or not your expectations are resonable in this situation..... and most reply so far say you are not considering the bumper was "altered" by paint.

Lets say you buy a pair of jeans for $100 in the size you normally wear but don't try them on before buying. You then proceed with shorting them by cutting length a bit. Now you try them only to find out they don't fit for some reason, although it is your normal waste size. Do you think any store will accept a return or exchange for this jeans - that only cost $100? I don't think so.

Now, you are asking a SMALL company to eat close to $1000 (or what ever their cost is) .... who knows when someone else will need to buy the same colour bumper from them? They may have bought it also from another wholesaler who will definetely not take it back painted.

And what about your statement:
" .... but I can certainly say that I have read several issues on bimmerforums and dtm power saying that people had weird fitments with Reiger products." I am sure you will see where I am going here ....

If you read about their "weird fitments" BEFORE you bought it, then it makes you an i***t for not pre-fitting the bumper before painting.... that's your fault..... don't flame me, you posted this thread with details yourself.

If you read about it AFTERWARDS, then why wouldn't you do a QUICK search/check about an Online vendor if you have never bought from them ???

Bottom line, if you did not painted the bumper, you would have a legitimate claim & beef agaist them. As it is, you have crossed the line into "dark" grey area and you are asking them what most vendors/stores would not do.

P.S. Have you tried escalating this matter to someone ABOVE a salesman. Most "1st" line customer reps or salesman don't have too much power or cloud. If it is small company, you may be able to speak with the owner.

P.P.S. Comparing a small, simple, inexpensive product like a spacer to bumper is not realistic.

Take care.

AlexM520

Last edited by alexm520; 06-20-2004 at 02:45 PM.
alexm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
SickFinga

Yes it is not realistic, but it shouldn't matter
when you buy a plasma tv at futureshop and when you buy an ink for you printer if those items defective, you expect them to replace it, no matter how much it cost.

Again, if AMI was at fault, it shouldnt matter if it is painted or not, they should replace it and then deal with Rieger themselves.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
C ///M
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to C ///M
I hate to say it, but it's not an O.E. bumper. Painting is before you trial fit was rather stupid. You can't blame AMI for not taking the bumper back after you painted it either. Aftermarket bodykits will ALWAYS have atleast slight fitment issues, no matter who makes them.

Click for Detailed Mod List and Pics
-Chris McGuire
C ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Gavin, I dunno. Remember how I ordered FK suspension? Well they STILL haven't sent it to me. Everytime different excuses and not emailing me for a week. But now they claim that they got the shipment from Germany and they will start shipping ASAP. You may be in luck if you order now though. Me. well. I'm really pissed. But what can I do.

and Vlad. I've changed my order to FK coilovers, so what kinda spacers are you using? Do you think I will need spacers too? I have 17 x 7.5 rims on 25/225 tires, and they're not staggered.

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #15
SickFinga

Yes you will need spacers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: