Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Other BMW Parts
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-20-2002, 10:33 AM   #16
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
So, you don't know what Code 13 and Code 69 are, but you're saying you have the Peake Research diagnostic tool?

The tool is able to read the Check Engine fault codes, and displays them on the 2 digit LED display on the top of the service reset tool.

So, are you saying you don't have a manual for this tool, or what?

The Peake tool includes the manual, and a code list. So, does it simply not list Codes 13 and Code 69, or is this simply something that you're *pre-selling* services for, and you don't actually have the tool yet?

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 11:05 PM   #17
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Ok , I have the tool and yes the codes are listed here and I can tell you what they mean. But it is the same price for you as it is for everyone else = $25. Im sorry to dissapoint you, but if you are not satisfied then Im sure that BMW would be more than happy to check for you for $115 + tax. You can contact me and we could meet any time you want its no prob, so its up to you. I just wish I had a digital camera (hence the reason no signature pic) to show you that have the tool in front of me now. Well its up to you.
mkgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:54 AM   #18
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

So, you're saying you want to charge people to tell them what the list of codes is? WTF?

Guys, don't bother paying ANYBODY $25 to scan your car. Most BMW Performance shops will do it for free, especially if you have any form of relationship with them.

Let me also guess; you're not a licensed mechanic of any sort, so even if the fault codes did pop up, you wouldn't be able to tell the owner what to do with his car, or whether or not it's something to worry about.

I agree, taking your car to the dealer to get service lights and fault codes checked is a waste of money. But to pay somebody who can't do anything about it is a waste of money as well.

Take your car(s) to an independent BMW service shop (Bavarian, Lakeside, Beach, Chuck's et al), and they'll be more than happy to scan your car for you, and tell you what the fault codes really mean. The only thing that will cost you any money is whatever repairs are necessary to fix the problem.

Pat
Old 06-21-2002, 09:12 AM   #19
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Hmmmmm......let me quote you here for a sec....

"Let me also guess; you're not a licensed mechanic of any sort, so even if the fault codes did pop up, you wouldn't be able to tell the owner what to do with his car, or whether or not it's something to worry about."

Then why would you ask me what the codes 13 and 69 mean??
Im providing a service for people here. If you are not interested thats fine, if anyone else is then thats great. I already have gotten 3 e-mails for people that want help so apparently I am offering somehting that people are interested in.....If I hurt u'r feelings cause I didnt want to help you Im sorry but no need to get childish about it.....if all those places you listed will scan your car for free then why dont you ask them what codes 13 and 69 mean....or is it that they wont tell you either?? Of course they wont, cause no one does anything for free anymore, so if anyone is still interested then I would be more than happy to provide this service for them, for Bad-karma, I apologize I couldnt help you.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #20
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

No, I've already scanned the car, and the two codes that popped up were 13 and 69. This was done for free; no charge, no money changed hands, no concerns about how much anybody was owed for this.

13 is the oxygen sensor, which generally isn't a big deal to either fix, or simply skip, and not worry about. It's primarily emissions related, so outside of running somewhat rich at idle, doesn't concern me at all.

Code 69 I don't have memorized, and we simply couldn't find the code sheet at the shop last week when I scanned the car. So, without knowing what the code is, I'm merely looking to see what the OBD-I code is listed as, so I can check it out as well, and see if it's something I need to have resolved.

If I was asking to have my car scanned, then I'd be more inclined to pay you $25 to do it. However, all I was asking was what the code sheet has listed for codes 13 and 69, since I couldn't find the sheet in the shop last week.

I'm not prepared to pay $25 to have somebody read me the fault codes for something I've already scanned. For $25, I'd be expecting at least a photocopy of the full breakdown of fault codes (which is 5c worth of paper...).

Pat
Old 06-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #21
hawai-Ian
3rd Gear Member

Re: alright everyone

Quote:
Originally posted by mkgino
For people with their check engine light on, its $25 to scan what is wrong and after they get it fixed, then come to me and its another $25 to reset it. If your OIL SERVICE light is on or your INSPECTION light is on I can reset those too for $25.
Im speaking for myself here but others may be on the same breath too...

I dont care about the inspection and oil service lights.
It's the check engine light that's annoying. So say, I come to you and you scan my car and retrieve whatever codes it spits out, Since I now know what's wrong with my car based on the codes, Will you reset the check engine light immediately If I ask you to and pay you $25.00 total? Hey I dont have to come back to you (as I already know the codes ) and pay another 25.00. Make sense? deal for everyone?
Old 06-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #22
mkgino
6th Gear Member

hawai-Ian

Yes sir, if you already know why the check engine light is on, just e-mail me for a time and place and I can reset it no prob. Thats what Im trying to tell everyone here, if they need the light reset its $25 and thats it, I have used the device on my own car and it works great so e-mail me and we will take care of it asap.

pat, I sent you a pm
Old 06-21-2002, 08:08 PM   #23
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
Bad-Karma

if i could find my book at the moment i would tell you what code 69 is. i have the same tool for my car, but i keep losing the book all the time, im dumb i guess. i will not charge you to tell you what the code means. and even if you were to come to my house i would check the codes with the tool for $0.00 for you. it takes 30 sec to do. its not worth $25. and if you look around online you can usually jump the pins with a paper clip/wire/etc to clear them anyhow. (at least i know E30s can do this).
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:44 PM   #24
mkgino
6th Gear Member

mike125k, hate to break your heart but code 13 or 69 arent in the book, that is if you have the same diagnostic tool as I do, plus I told pat that I would do it for free anyway, but if he wants to drive down to buffalo thats fine.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:54 PM   #25
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Re: Bad-Karma

Quote:
Originally posted by mike125k
if i could find my book at the moment i would tell you what code 69 is. i have the same tool for my car, but i keep losing the book all the time, im dumb i guess. i will not charge you to tell you what the code means. and even if you were to come to my house i would check the codes with the tool for $0.00 for you. it takes 30 sec to do. its not worth $25. and if you look around online you can usually jump the pins with a paper clip/wire/etc to clear them anyhow. (at least i know E30s can do this).
You are right, you can easily reset your own engine codes and engine lights with a copper wire or even a screw driver. This is true for all E30's and E36's, not sure about any other models. Check out how to do this at the unoffical bmw website.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:56 PM   #26
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

There is also a procedure for E36 where the car will beep out the engine codes for you. I don't really remember how it works but I did it on my car. You have to step on the throttle a few times then do something else and the car beeps out the engine fault codes and tells you the last check engine fault. Does anyone remember how to do this? Website?

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 06-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #27
mkgino
6th Gear Member

yeah your right about that, but that only works on OBD1 cars from 1992 to 1995 not on any other year, from 1996 and up you cant do that, which is why I bought the tool. Also how are you gonna reset the check engine light after you figure out and fix the problem? Cant do that by stepping on the pedal.

Last edited by mkgino; 06-21-2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:40 PM   #28
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
Quote:
yeah your right about that, but that only works on OBD1 cars from 1992 to 1995 not on any other year, from 1996 and up you cant do that, which is why I bought the tool. Also how are you gonna reset the check engine light after you figure out and fix the problem? Cant do that by stepping on the pedal.
if you fix the problem the check engine light will go away on its own anyhow. after a certain number of starts without the problem present the light will go off and clear itself out of the computer. and with OBDI you can just kill power to the computer (ie. disconnect the battery) and that clears the memory in the computer. (and like i said before since i cant find my book at the moment i didnt know those code #s werent in there.)
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:43 PM   #29
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
I don't feel OBD1 cars really need this tool, its actually quite useless. The "check engine" light will go out on its own if the problem is fixed. Also if you really need to reset your computer simply disconnect the -ve battery terminal for 1 hour then reconnect it and restart your engine. If you want to reset your warning lights and any other warning lights you just look up a diagram which you can find on a website which teaches you how to use a copper wire or screw driver to reset the lights, very easy and costs nothing.

Bryan

Old 06-22-2002, 12:10 AM   #30
mkgino
6th Gear Member

well its up to everyone here, Im not forcing anyone to do anything. If you want to start sticking pins into your car then be my guest, I personally dont think it is worth screwing up your car for. If there was anyone else on these boards with this device before I bought it then I would have gladly went to them and paid the $25 for this service. That aside people here can do what ever they want. However please MTRD, mike125k or anyone on these boards anywhere tell me how scan your check engine light or reset it on an OBDII car (96 and up models)..........well........its not possible is it? Oh and by the way the check engine light DOES NOT go out on its own, on my 97 328is after my O2 sensor was replaced, the light did not go off by itself. Im not sure on OBD1 cars but thats how it is on OBDII cars.

Last edited by mkgino; 06-22-2002 at 12:36 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: