Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Canadian535is
1st Gear Newbie

Power Stearing?

Ok im pretty new to my E28... the power stearing pump is making some noise... i wanna check the fluid level but got no clue on where it is...

Could someone take a pick of the resivoir for me?

TKS
Canadian535is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Canadian535is
1st Gear Newbie

nobody ever check thier powerstearing fluid?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #3
Ted in T.O.
3rd Gear Member

PS fluid

i don't mean to be harsh but don't you have a owners manual?A real good source of info is to buy a Bentley repail manual for your 1982-1988 E28 5 series BMW on the internet.Your ps resevoir is on the drivers side attached to the wheel well.It's silver.You have to pump the brakes 10 times with the engine off to build up pressure in the resevoir.you fill it to 1 inch from the top.Also check the hoses comming out of the botttom of the resevoir.If still unsure,go to www.my e28 .com and say you are a newbe to the board and ask the question.There are alot of good people there that will help you with your problem better than i can.Try and use the search the archives section first.Good luck.Ted in T.O.
Ted in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

It's actually brown on the E28 M30's I've seen. Are you sure it's the PS pump? It usually starts leaking before it dies.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
Canadian535is
1st Gear Newbie

the noise is def. the pump... and there is fluid on the ground... so i wanna see if its leaking. sorry if im not up to speed on my car, i just bought it, and it doesnt have a owners manual.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

PS fluid is pink, easy to tell. Plus the pump itself should be wet. That being said, the hoses on the reservoir get hard and crack at the point where they are choked by the hose clamp. Look at the reservoir (should be a brown, silo-like container on the driver's side by the well, with a lid and a thumb nut holding it down), there should be two hoses coming out of it, going down. If they are wet around the hose clamp, your PS pump might yet be ok. Remove the nut, open u the reservoir, the fluid level should be up to the end of the mesh...something tells me you won't see any at all. If that's the case, go buy some ATF, fill it up and see if the noise goes away.

My winter beater 535 is leaking from the hose. I just slid the hose up higher, moved the hose clamp lower down and it still leaks but I just carry an ATF jug with me and fill it up every now and then.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Canadian535is
1st Gear Newbie

ok... so it doesnt need special power steering fluid like my honda... reg. old ATF will do it? TKS for the help
Old 06-02-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

Nope, regular ATF.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: