Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-14-2002, 11:15 AM   #16
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I've raced against Vipers at Mosport... hell, I even rented one on my trip to Vegas couple years ago and I can honestly tell you that those things rock in almost every performance aspect (with the exception of brakes!) Vlad, I honestly think he wasn't trying. years ago when I had my Ninja ZX-7R, I had a really hard time trying to pass a RT-10 on the highway at 200+km/h!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viperrental.jpg (160.1 KB, 75 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #17
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
I've raced against Vipers at Mosport... hell, I even rented one on my trip to Vegas couple years ago and I can honestly tell you that those things rock in almost every performance aspect (with the exception of brakes!) Vlad, I honestly think he wasn't trying. years ago when I had my Ninja ZX-7R, I had a really hard time trying to pass a RT-10 on the highway at 200+km/h!
Randy you lucky duck, how much did that cost you?

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:37 AM   #18
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD

Randy you lucky duck, how much did that cost you?

Bryan
HaHa...

The car was only $240.00 U.S./day (100miles free) but after I backed the thing into a boulder trying to park it by the Hoover Dam the price of the rental sky-rocketed to

$3500.00 CDN (deductable on the insurance)

not such a "Lucky Duck" after all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viperbumper.jpg (61.5 KB, 66 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 06-14-2002, 11:43 AM   #19
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

OMG! I can't believe you finally admitted that you did that! LOL! (He gets really mad when I say something like...Look out for the BOULDER!) Easy there Randy! Its all in good fun!

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:45 AM   #20
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd

HaHa...

The car was only $240.00 U.S./day (100miles free) but after I backed the thing into a boulder trying to park it by the Hoover Dam the price of the rental sky-rocketed to

$3500.00 CDN (deductable on the insurance)

not such a "Lucky Duck" after all?
Ouch! Still you must have had a blast in that thing, got any cool vidz to show us?

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #21
SickFinga

Don't get me wrong I love Vipers, but but I'm pretty sure that he floored it, maybe he was in the wrong gear or something.
Also when I was driving on his left side they saw me, we both smiled, he reved it and started to accelerate. It was fast but I expected WAY more from it.
Still it was fun, and I want a VIPER!!!
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:09 PM   #22
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

A would agree that Vipers are fast, and likely do perform in other areas, including the track with a good driver. But they should be fast with a 8litre V-10 under the hood. Low technology, high priced muscle cars, Glad Chrsyler made them (but not for me), and if you really want to find out about them go to a Chrsyler shop, they're there all the time....poor workmanship, frequent problems....of course I'd be worried about the new M3 as well. If I had the money, I'd wait for the new Ford GT40.
Mark
2001 330Cic
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #23
Furious
BMW again.

i personally wouldnt mind owning a viper, the craftmanship isnt all the best (interior and body), a mechanic that fixed them said the RT's are the worst... its just parts from other dodge cars inside. I guess the RT's leaks like a S.O.B in the rain, it's always been a problem, i actually asked a guy with one once and sure enough as i approched the car, he had a wet/dry shop vac in it, and he was sucking up the water from the rain the night before. but id still buy one, they're really fast, and i agree with everyone that i think he was toying with you, those things can really take off.

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 06-14-2002 at 05:03 PM.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #24
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

[quote]To each their own. You can ask anyone I know that if I were to win a Ferrari I would sell it before I even had a chance to drive it and get myself a RUF Porsche 911 Turbo or a European spec Porsche 911 Turbo.

BTW - I wonder what the new Vipers interior is going to look like?
[quote]

I am in the same boat as you ! I would get a porsche !!!

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:19 PM   #25
EMPOWERD

Actual driving impressions of the GTS:

Acceleration is absolutely blinding... people are always throwing figures around "yeah, i've got 350hp blah, blah, blah"... but this thing REALLY does have the numbers to impress. Another point to consider is the torque.... THAT"S WHAT YOU FEEL as your back gets pushed into the seat. If you take a 225HP Mustang 5.0L and an Integra Type R and give a 10yr old kid a ride in both, he'd say the 'Stang would eat the Type R because of the torque.... you can imagine the exhileration of torque on this monster.

Quick example: Vlad, you know how at 120km/h in 3rd gear on your M3 you can stab the gas and it'll push your head back? The Viper did exactly that (if not more) at 220km/h in 4th.... I was breaking the rear end loose just merging onto the highway checking my blind spot in 3rd gear (around 80km/h) by just giving a bit of gas!!!

Motor Trend also did a comparison between the Viper GTS and other similarly powered supercars.... at the end of the quarter mile, they were all within tenths of seconds.... but, in the standing mile.... the mighty GTS was 9 car lenghts ahead of the nearest contender (1998 Porsche Twin Turbo)... that's were cubic inches start to play a part.
Brakes were a joke.... sorry, maybe the fact of the rental, but they would lock up constantly... even at 100+km/h. Handling was good grip-wise, but what else would you expect from 335 tires in the rear? On-center feel and road communication was typical Domestic (exception being the Z06) vague and rubbery... not precise at all. What really surprised me was the amount of noise in the cabin... especially at 250+km/h. Putting along the highway at the speed limit there was nothing but gear-box whine... sounded like straight-cut gears.
The car is simply a HOOLIGAN toy for weekends only. Drive it for an hour and then park it in the garage... kinda like a superbike on 4 wheels.
I honestly wouldn't know if I'd choose the Viper over a Z06 Vette (which I also drove alone for an afternoon- that's another story).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 06-14-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:26 PM   #26
SickFinga

Viper or Z06 ??
easy VIPER

z06 or not it is still a corvette
Old 06-14-2002, 05:47 PM   #27
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
Viper or Z06 ??
easy VIPER

z06 or not it is still a corvette
I think you're too quick to make that judgment. I honestly found the Z06 an absolutely amazing ride. It handled like a true German sports car with KILLER brakes..... I had to keep reminding myself it was made on this continent. You really have to drive one before making that decision.... it's also breath-taking.

450HP and weighs less than a F360 Modena or an E36 M3.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 06-14-2002, 06:45 PM   #28
SickFinga

yeah but it doesn't look as amazing as viper
Old 06-14-2002, 07:02 PM   #29
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
yeah but it doesn't look as amazing as viper

the viper has a nostalgic quality to it,, because of the rareness of it it obviously is the nicer looking car. and that would account for it being such a head turner. i see corvettes all the time zo6 or not or whatever, ive become accustom to seeing them. IMO there both awesome american machines. but id rather drive a 911 twin-turbo.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #30
SickFinga

993 911 GT2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: