Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
SickFinga

On the way home was haviing fun with Viper GTS :)

Ok, finally that what I always wanted to have fun with Viper.
I was driving home from Charlie's work, and I see a nice grey Viper GTS. So I caught up with him and started to follow him. I guess driver saw me and wanted to loose me, I hear bad ass roaring sound of v10 and I was peeing my pants.
So I floor it and you know, it wasn't really a problem to catching up with him, you see his car slowly drives away but just a little bit.
So I cautch up with him again changed my lane and see some young guys driving it, they were about 20-23.

Those VIPERS are fast, but I expected way more from them.
Also those who said that car got shitty handling, I wouldn't say so, we were changing lanes on pretty high speed and his car didn't even look like had any problems with.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

changing lanes isnt the prob...i heard at the track they are not good unless u modd them nicely like in the LeMans races. Stock vipers r made for 1 thing....going fast, very fast...but in a straight line
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
SickFinga

yeah, but they don't do it as well as I expected, still it's damn fast
Old 06-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Gamite

Vlad, I honestly dont think that car was trying. 450hp, 3400 lbs, 12 second car? C'mon.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
SickFinga

yeah I thought so too, but he reved on me, also when he was accelerating it was DAMN loud.
maybe it was rented and he didn't know how to drive it, but I know he floored it for sure
Old 06-13-2002, 11:13 PM   #6
Gamite

you havent heard loud till you have a Diablo VT rocket past you while your walking down the street.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:24 AM   #7
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

So, let me get this straight: you were 100% positive that he floored it, even though you weren't in the car with him? Riiiiight.

He was playing with you, plain and simple. If he floored it, you'd see him vanish pretty quick.

One other thing- Vipers are fast in more than a straight line.

GT
Old 06-14-2002, 08:48 AM   #8
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Viper's Eat my a$$ for dinner ! I really dont like those cars ! They are american muscle cars that are meant to go in a straight line fast and not handle with agility! They scrwed up on the Viper. The construction on the inside is a P.O.S. !! They are poorly constructed and cant corner for $hit !
To each his own ....but i cant stand them
My 2 Cents

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI

Last edited by GladdoM3; 06-14-2002 at 09:45 AM.
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:08 AM   #9
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

100K sticker price is not expensive? What world do you live in?

Better check those performance numbers again- a Viper (especially GTS models from the last few years) would have your ass for lunch at a dragstrip or on a road course. Period.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:20 AM   #10
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
100k for a 12 sec car isnt that much.. a m3 is a 90k car and its 14 secs

anyways maybe it wasnt a gts first of all... and maybe he was reving but not not redlineing?
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:28 AM   #11
got torque?
2nd Gear Member

1/4 mile times don't tell you dick about a car, unless all you do is drag race.

Vipers deserve more respect than they're getting here. They're not Ferraris by any means but they are a capable sports car. Check out the American LeMans Series for proof. If they were that bad, they wouldn't have been developed into killer race cars.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:48 AM   #12
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GladdoM3
They are american muscle cars that are meant to go in a straight line fast and not be too expensive ! They scrwed up on th Viper. The construction on the inside is a P.O.S. !! They are poorly constructed and cant corner for $hit!

Dude you are way off! Just because they are American dosen't mean they are POS...it is not a Sunfire! Cornering...They can turn pretty damn good for having a V10 under the hood!

Quote:
Originally posted by got torque?
Vipers deserve more respect than they're getting here. They're not Ferraris by any means but they are a capable sports car. Check out the American LeMans Series for proof.

My $0.02...I would take a Viper over a Ferrari any day! With the extra money I can save I would dump it into the car again. Now what can you do to a Ferrari? A chip? Intake? Valve work? I don't think so... And yes look at the ALMS Team Oreca Viper that won the championship, now theres proof in the puddin'!

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:53 AM   #13
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

have you ever been inside one ? I am talking about the craftsmanship of the inside ! Panels dont fit properly and it all cheap plastic......whether or not it is a weight saving device....thats not the point, the inside makes you feel like you are in an expensive sunfire !

The viper is definately not for me

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:58 AM   #14
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GladdoM3 ...The viper is definately not for me...
To each their own. You can ask anyone I know that if I were to win a Ferrari I would sell it before I even had a chance to drive it and get myself a RUF Porsche 911 Turbo or a European spec Porsche 911 Turbo.

BTW - I wonder what the new Vipers interior is going to look like?

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave

Last edited by '88 325e; 06-14-2002 at 10:00 AM.
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:14 AM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by GladdoM3
have you ever been inside one ? I am talking about the craftsmanship of the inside ! Panels dont fit properly and it all cheap plastic......whether or not it is a weight saving device....thats not the point, the inside makes you feel like you are in an expensive sunfire !

The viper is definately not for me
I don't know about the cheap pannels, but many years back I knew a guy with an RT-10, the thing was torquey but those cars are very uncomfortable to drive. A Ferrari's engine feels way more refined whereas the viper's engine is very rough and its all raw power. I just like how Vipers can suck a normal air filter inside out, now thats power!

They actually had to restrict the viper in certain races because it was winning everything! I think they purposely added more weight to the vehicle just to give the other competitors a chance.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: