Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

What's the best short shifter out there

What is the best short shifter out there for the E36. I did some research and found that a lot of people either go with the Z3 shifter or the Motronix. I'm looking to upgrade my shifter but am confused as to which one would be better??
I hear that Motronix uses plastics parts and Z3 uses metal?? With the Motronix you get 65% and with the Z3 you get 35%, is this true? Does anyone on here have any experience with these short shifters?
Please help!!!

Last edited by ChahalzBMR; 05-07-2004 at 02:16 PM.
ChahalzBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

I have a Stygar SSK, custom built by the man himself out of OEM parts so the quality is just like your stock shifter.

In case you don't know who Ron Stygar is.... check out unofficialbmw.com and you'll see a section dedicated to all his tips and tricks. The drivetrain section will show you how much he knows about short shifters.

He custom made a kit for my E46 and my brother's E30 and we're both very satisfied. I'm about to get one for my friend's E36.

PM me if you're interested and I'll ask him if he ships his kits to Canada.

Last edited by jmalixi; 05-07-2004 at 02:52 PM.
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmalixi
PM me if you're interested and I'll ask him if he ships his kits to Canada. [/b]
PM sent.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
The answer is simply, the 'best' short shifters are made by either UUC, or B&M.

The Stygar kit you can just make yourself, there really isn't anything special about it. All you have to do is bend a ZM3 shifter, which can be done at home with a vise.

I have a ZM3 short shifter (which I bent so it sits straight), homemade weighted selector rod, and a soon to be installed UUC ETK cup. Even without the ETK installed, I think it's the best setup for the money spent.

The Motronix is just an OEM shifter, just like the ZM3 or Z3, all BMW OEM shifter levers have plastic pivots, rubber vibration dampers, etc...
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

Which one of the UUC would you recommend? My set up is different, since I have a 318i with a 325is engine and tranny.
97' Jetta - Sold
2006 Ford Freestyle - Sold
Looking for a E46 (00-04)

Steve
Old 05-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
Jademonkey
2nd Gear Member

check out Rogue Engineering as well at http://www.rogueengineering.com
Old 05-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
SickFinga

Quote:
I have a Stygar SSK, custom built by the man himself out of OEM parts so the quality is just like your stock shifter.

Which is proven to be bad.

Go with UUC
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...hifter_nav.htm
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
Which is proven to be bad.
What is proven to be bad with the OEM parts? The lever, selector rod, or carrier? These are the main pieces that make up the SSK. The only thing I'm aware of that is bad for the E36 and E46 is the bushing and I replaced that during the install.

Please be more specific and let me know as this interestes me.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #9
SickFinga

Quote:
What is proven to be bad with the OEM parts? The lever, selector rod, or carrier? These are the main pieces that make up the SSK. The only thing I'm aware of that is bad for the E36 and E46 is the bushing and I replaced that during the install.

http://www.shortshifter.com/comparo.htm

SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:

Everything really, the rubber damper in the lever gets all loose, the pivot ball on the shift lever is plastic, which likes to get galled pretty easily with dirt (and yes, dirt gets up there). The two selector rod bushings, the one on the bottom of the shift lever, and the other on the tranny, are also lined with plastic, and they also get very playful. The shifter carrier bushing is also made of soft rubber, with the boot off, I can see my shift carrier twisting everywhere. UUC uses delrin bushings, and there is a ball bearing option for the shifter lever. The ball pivot is made of steel.

Also, the rubber damper on the OEM selector rods have quite a bit of flex in there even when new. I know, I've had them in my hands. That is why Ground Control makes a reinforcement for the shift lever.

I use OEM parts not for quality, but because it's pretty cheap in comparison to the UUC or B&M models, but I do expect my shifter to wear out every couple years of hard use.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys!!!
97' Jetta - Sold
2006 Ford Freestyle - Sold
Looking for a E46 (00-04)

Steve
Old 05-08-2004, 05:28 AM   #12
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
http://www.shortshifter.com/comparo.htm
Hmmm, but it's written by UUC . I saw one written by Rogue and Rogue was deemed best.... and another one written by B&M and guess which one was better there. There is an article and forum posts I've seen talking about noise due to the vibration of UUC's height adjustable lever. Another article talks about the not so smooth steel ball used by UUC.

Most of what I've heard about BMW shifters is bushing related, which I've already replaced. Even so, the one I replaced, which is already 5 years old didn't show any of the signs of wear described in the article and described by thinair so I don't know... If my shifter starts showing some play, I guess it's cheap enough, as thinair said, to get replaced every so often.

Thanks for the input guys....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: