Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-08-2002, 12:30 AM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Opinions on Minidiscs?

I'm considering getting a portable Minidisc player (more then likely a Sony), anyone have one? Any likes, dislikes on the format?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 12:48 AM   #2
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
i have one for the last 4 years now.
i bought a minidisc portable while i was still in germany aiwa xxx something. i used it a lot before i got the car. especially since it's way better then a casette or even cd. then when i came here i bought a deck as well with the home stereo.

i'd say get it is worth it
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 04:49 AM   #3
SickFinga

I have one, and I can say just one thing WASTE OF MONEY.
I got Sony MDRZ700, it has new LP4 format(320min on 1 MD)
Why is it a waste of money?
1. I drive
2. I don't have any patience to wait 5 hours to record a disk

but, there is a new MD technology called NETMD(and again made by SONY) which allows you to record at 32x speed, so to record 320min disk it will take you just 10min.
So if you really want a MD, don't waste your money on any other brands, just buy SONY NETMD.

http://www.sonystyle.com/images/flashmovies/flash.html
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 05:26 AM   #4
Gamite

I've had an MZr-50 for quite some time now.. I think 5 years? Dad brought it back from china when they were just getting introuduced in North America. It was real convieneint at the time. But nowadays I NEVER use it.

Stick to burning CD's and MP3's. Those will always stay in fashion.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 02:08 PM   #5
bobo
2nd Gear Member

absolutely.

I forked out 500 bucks for a sony MZ-R909 only avaliable overseas (cousin brought it back)

i played around with it for about a week went back to cd's and mp3's.

waste of my money put out another 100 dollars and I could've had a Nikon coolpix 2500
Old 06-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'm looking at the MZ-N50....

It supposedly can transfer the full 5 hours of mp3/WMA's in just over 3 minutes using USB, or I can use the regular optical in if I feel like waiting 5 hours, and it's like $250, which compared to some mp3 players (not including cd mp3 players) is a pretty decent price.

I'm just trying to stay away from cd's for the time being. It's kinda weird, minidisc is huge in Europe and Asia, but Sony I guess messed up the marketing here or something because it never really took off. I've been thinking about getting a minidisc player/recorder for years now, but never had the want to fork out $500-700 for one.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 06-08-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
SickFinga

MDs are not popular in Europe, they popular in Asia, but you know all those asian they just fanatics of all those electronic gadgets
Old 06-08-2002, 04:05 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
MDs are not popular in Europe, they popular in Asia, but you know all those asian they just fanatics of all those electronic gadgets
The last few times that I've been to Portugal, Spain and France they were all over the place, obviously not out-numbering cd or tape players, but they weren't rare. Some music stores even had a (limited) selection of pre-recorded minidiscs. Almost all electronic stores had the players for sale, some grocery stores even stocked blank MD's along with tapes and video cassettes.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:12 PM   #9
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

WELL

a couple of last year i went to chicogo(or should i say SHIAKAGO)
anyway my cousin says to me "Mar you have to get a mini thing" so i go and fork out 399 AMERICAN for this thing and it broke the day before i left so i was like screw this so i traded it got a CD Player and a couple playstation games.
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 11:36 PM   #10
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
I agree with vlad, i drive and TO LONG TO RECORED!!!!!!! way to long plus its based on playback... it shoulda been disined like a cd-r not a tape deck... so what i did was hook it up to my washroom and when i shower i got some hip hop going!! but now that idea was killed when i hooked up speakers from my computer into there!

im willing to sell mine if you want a old one..
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 12:28 AM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

No thianks, i think i'll stick with one of the new ones that only take 3 minutes to transfer the 5 hours of music.....

Actually I just have a bunch of Airmiles that I want to spend, and I have more then enough to get the Minidisc player, so it'd technically be free.
Old 06-09-2002, 04:57 AM   #12
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
No thianks, i think i'll stick with one of the new ones that only take 3 minutes to transfer the 5 hours of music.....

Actually I just have a bunch of Airmiles that I want to spend, and I have more then enough to get the Minidisc player, so it'd technically be free.

how much miles you got?
Old 06-09-2002, 12:48 PM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

about 3500.......and I don't feel like flying anywhere, mostly cause Portugal is like 9000 in the summer. I think the player is 2400.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #14
Schnell
2nd Gear Member

I have a newer sony one and I love it for its small size and the fact that it NEVER skips. the only drawback is the single speed recording (just like an old mix tape).
Stereo
F@$%ing Automatic 4-speed
Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 01:36 AM   #15
PCDawg
2nd Gear Member

I've been using MD's for about 3 years now......

I even have a Sony MD deck in my car and a portable one...those discs are easy to store in my car......how do i like it?? I love it......it's small, compact, and not as fragile as CDs.

Best feature about them is that u can download tracks (from CDs or MP3s) and then re-arrange them or delete some songs if u get bored and replace with new ones, unlike CDs where u are stuck with what u have unless u burn another CD.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: