Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
phaust
whooop whooop

Angry neeed help!

hi all!

back from work, i heard a weird sound under the hood,

i open it and heard a clicking sound like.. metal to metal

the car work fine but i don't know what is it..

see pics.. (red circle) if anybody have experience in that or know what is that and (how it's cost! arrgh)

please!

a fellow clueless maxmember!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (58.6 KB, 120 views)
phaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

i have the same problem, its the vanos.. it sounds like something is hitting against the metal right? you'll need new chain tensionors.. its about i think $100 or so.. heard its not that hard to change so do it yerself.. heres the link on the how to's.. http://www.geocities.com/rick_poon/tensioner.htm

i talked to bmw cuz i was gonna do this last week too, but it seems that the chain tensionor comes in multiple parts, and you need to buy them all, theres the gauskets $5, springs $9, cylinder $53, piston $19 and plug on tail side $9.57. Give it a try and tell me how hard it was.. its too expensive to get it done, so save money and do it yerself.. heh.. good luck..
j0nblayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
phaust
whooop whooop

damn thanks dude, yup it's seem to be the same problem.. it's dangerous to drive with that?

and im not a good mecanic.. i will try to fix it on a garage.. it is very expensive?

damn car..
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

i heard most e36's vanos will do that. lot of people dont even replace anything, and forget bout it, if the sound is VERY VERY loud then maybe you should, but if its not loud but can be heard if you open up yer hood, then maybe wait for a bit.. i'm planning to wait till winter or something to fix.. to lazy to do it now.. heh.. or i might just replace the whole vanos.. heard it like a 800 dollar job to do at bmw.. i think the vanos itself is like 500 or so dollars.. not sure.. but in my opinion i wouldn't worry bout it too much.. its a bimmer.. you know after you fix that sound they'll be some other sound that'll bug you anyways.. heh.. i tried fixing any noises i can on my car, i fix one, and suddenly another one is there.. so i just learned to live with some sounds.. as long as it looks good i'm happy.. heh
Old 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #5
phaust
whooop whooop

hehe well i hope it's not too bad, cauz this sound made me scared, look like i imagine that the engine will blow up or something well i will show it to a mecanic tomorow morning when i will go to work. but im scared to heard "damn, i must look at that, it's sound like blabla(an expensive piece of metal) and it's may be very dangerous..

argh

Old 05-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
phaust
whooop whooop

i read the web page and i think i will try to fix this myself.. if someone have the ETK cd, it's would be fine if you can give me the part numer for a 325is 1995 ( maybe it's the same as an m3) but just in case..

thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
duffy325
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem but it was the vanos unit itself. I decided to replace it as the sound was very very loud. I think the part itself cost me 500 CAD, and maybe 1hr labour or something like that.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

yup that sounds about right.. $500 or so, but remember to shop around for your parts you need, you'll be surprised how much a difference in prices are for bmw parts...
Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
phaust
whooop whooop

some update, they checked my tensionner. it's all good. now they plan to open my valve cover tomorow morning..

argh!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
phaust
whooop whooop

well well well.. it's was the vanos unit.

more update tomorow for the final price tag for all that s**t

afaik, they changed the vanos, head gasket and the spark plug (?)

the tensioners (both) where fine..
Old 05-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
hey phaust... i might be coming down to montreal for the long weekend ...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
phaust
whooop whooop

justin: nice! but im still at 2h30 in car of montreal! and i don't think i will be able to go to mtl
Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
ah okay... that sucks. i'll let you know if plans change though. I might be spending some time in Montreal, and head down to Ottawa for some more time.. then head back home.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: