Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
Manimillion
Photographer

Sexy Lady

Fakin' thing didn't stand still for a second so I coul get a decent picture...
Old 04-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

Re: Sexy Lady

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilOnWheelz
Fakin' thing didn't stand still for a second so I coul get a decent picture...
One word: freezer.

That's the trick used by people who take those great macros of flies and other small critters. The bugs have to be dead but still look alive (i.e. not squished). You catch the bug, put it in a closed container in the freezer and wait for nature to take its course. Then you have a perfectly still, lifelike bug to take macros of at your leisure. You can have them strike a pose in the setting of your choice, with the lighting of your choice!

Sounds sadistic, eh? Don't try it with your mother-in-law! On second thought...
Old 04-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Gamite

There's a tonne of these things around these days eh?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Bob Loblaw
Zee Frog.

What, mothers-in-law?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Gamite

LOL no, lady bugs. Well..... no, just lady bugs..

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

nice pic, but i would've waxed/polished her before taking the shot. she would've sparkled!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Gamite... there was a Lady Bug boost around 2-3 years ago I believe... during the summer there was a bad infestation of alphids, which though harmless to humans really took a toll on our crops. Their natural predator is the lady bug. The government released quite a few plane-full's of asian lady bugs to protect our crops---asian lady bugs can't survive our falls/winters... however they'd get rid of our aphid problem, and not harm our crops!

Unfortunately aphids reproduce at a rate of 200 per 2 weeks... If you allow for 1 starter, and all of it's offspring to survive, after 70 weeks the number of aphids would exceed the number of molecules on this planet. So the Lady Bugs were set out to control the numbers... (little critters are not harmful and have few natural predators other than birds.)

Unfortunately many of the asian lady bugs managed to survive 02 winter, reproducing.. and many made it into 03... however, this year this apparently would not be a problem.

Anyway.. sorry to hijack the thread like this.... just thought I'd share some knowledge.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
Gamite... there was a Lady Bug boost around 2-3 years ago I believe... during the summer there was a bad infestation of alphids, which though harmless to humans really took a toll on our crops. Their natural predator is the lady bug. The government released quite a few plane-full's of asian lady bugs to protect our crops---asian lady bugs can't survive our falls/winters... however they'd get rid of our aphid problem, and not harm our crops!

Unfortunately aphids reproduce at a rate of 200 per 2 weeks... If you allow for 1 starter, and all of it's offspring to survive, after 70 weeks the number of aphids would exceed the number of molecules on this planet. So the Lady Bugs were set out to control the numbers... (little critters are not harmful and have few natural predators other than birds.)

Unfortunately many of the asian lady bugs managed to survive 02 winter, reproducing.. and many made it into 03... however, this year this apparently would not be a problem.

Anyway.. sorry to hijack the thread like this.... just thought I'd share some knowledge.
Wow thats a very cool thing to know.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #9
niko_gt
6th Gear Member

damn lady bugs, thats why there were about 1000 lady bugs at sheridan one day early in the fall, it was ridicioulos, u couldnt even walk into one of the buildings there were soo many

its like in the simpsons where bart brings the frog to australia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: