Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-27-2002, 02:38 AM   #1
dasMafia
1st Gear Newbie

anyone here know if a DASC will fit on an E30 318is

hello, and yes, this is a little pointed for a "first post"

I am looking at an E30 daily driver and am stuck between a 325i/is and a 318is... the 325 seems to be a little lacking when it comes to effective mods, and I was thinking that possibly the DASC (downing atlanta super charger) would fit on the 318is.

any information on this would be helpful, thanks!

oh, and I love this smilie....
dasMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:38 AM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

If the memory serves me right, the e30 m42 uses a different kind of belt than e36 m42. Go to www.318ti.net and ask your question there. I am pretty sure there is been a talk about this some time ago.

Serge

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
dasMafia
1st Gear Newbie

thank you!
Old 06-27-2002, 02:30 PM   #4
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
If the memory serves me right, the e30 m42 uses a different kind of belt than e36 m42. Go to www.318ti.net and ask your question there. I am pretty sure there is been a talk about this some time ago.

Serge
While we are on the subject, is anything else about the E30 M42 different compared to the E36 M42? I took the throttle body from the E30 M42 and it looks slightly different. Since Randy helped me bored out the E30 M42 TB I hope the inside butterflies were the same diammeter.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 03:41 AM   #5
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

I called Downing Atlanta about the supercharger and my E30 318is and it won't bolt up.. i would have to modify it and from what he was saying it would be a pain in the ass.

The M42 in the E30 has a completely different intake manifold and belt setup compaired to the E36 M42 ..In my opinion the E30 style intake looks like it would work better but the E36 style

Dasmafia - I haven't found any really effective mods for my 318is other then exhaust and performance chip, I think the 325 has a lot more support as far as aftermarket performance parts go. So if you want to build an E30 i would suggest going with the 325 or even better a M50 engine conversion

Ryan
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318

The M42 in the E30 has a completely different intake manifold and belt setup compaired to the E36 M42 ..In my opinion the E30 style intake looks like it would work better but the E36 style
Ryan
Are you sure about that intake manifold? It looks identical to me. Anyways, the DASC replaces your intake manifold w/ the Eaton cast iron one so it really wouldn't matter which intake manifold you had. The only difference is possibly the old M42 engines did not have the thermoplastic intake manifolds? If thats true I want to get a hold of one of those so I can bore it bigger.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 12:24 PM   #7
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

DASC replaces only the UPPER intake manifold with the DA "adapter" that bolts on to the blower. I just looked at the ETK and e30 m42 manifold is COMPLETELY different than e36 m42.

Serge

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD

Are you sure about that intake manifold? It looks identical to me. Anyways, the DASC replaces your intake manifold w/ the Eaton cast iron one so it really wouldn't matter which intake manifold you had. The only difference is possibly the old M42 engines did not have the thermoplastic intake manifolds? If thats true I want to get a hold of one of those so I can bore it bigger.

Bryan

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #8
dasMafia
1st Gear Newbie

thanks again guys.... anyone have any idea the cost of an M50b25 or b28 conversion would be... just the parts???

and a good source for used engines.

thanks again, and sorry if I seem a little stoopid.... my bimmer knowledge is mostly limited to the E36 , E36/7 and E46...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: