Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
ambasah
2nd Gear Member

BMW driver training

I want to enroll for a weekend in end of July / beginning of Aug. Anyone else been or interested in going?
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I bought it for my dad, he's in on July 24th I believe. From what I hear, the CCA school is a lot more fun and educational though, for LESS money. The only downside (or upside, in my opinion) is that you use your own car with the CCA.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackshark
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
I bought it for my dad, he's in on July 24th I believe. From what I hear, the CCA school is a lot more fun and educational though, for LESS money. The only downside (or upside, in my opinion) is that you use your own car with the CCA.
I think it is way better because you will get to now your car limits
blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
Ron
2002 M3-PY

I'm scheduled to go on July 24th as well. A lot of ppl I talked to recommend it.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 AM   #5
Mystikal

Good stuff. I may be up there, hope to see you around.

@stancejay
Old 04-30-2004, 02:42 AM   #6
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

bmw thing is quite gay if u ask me if yr lucky u get a stcik shift car if yr a bit late u get a auto bimmer
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:59 AM   #7
Mystikal

Actually, since last year they are all SMG 330i M-Sport's.

@stancejay
Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 AM   #8
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

when I went, most people who were in the automatics, wanted to be there- mostly husband and wife teams, where wife drove auto.

Even still, with stick, you hardly went passed 2nd gear, and there was no training on shifting technique, so getting an auto was not the end of the world and money down toilet even if you wanted a manual but got an auto instead.

Part of the fun of BMW's driver training is to get to beat the crap out of a new BMW...but if you want to learn your own car...then you gotta learn driving your own car.

I would still say the BMW training was well worth the money and recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
alexm520
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blackshark
I think it is way better because you will get to now your car limits
Complete agree. Besides, with BMW Canada school you spend around $450 for ONE day to drive on a PARKING LOT ! .... like a very nice long, slow and expensive test drive It's only after spending close to $1000 (level I $ II) do they actually take you to a racetrack and then it costs $$$ (okay you get M3 for the last one).

For the same money with BMW Club of Canada (Trillium chapter) or similar professional organizer, you can take your own car to a real racetrack (Mosport) for 2 full days with classes and in-car instructor.

AlexM520
Old 05-01-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
ambasah
2nd Gear Member

hmmm,

thanks for all the input guys.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alexm520
Complete agree. Besides, with BMW Canada school you spend around $450 for ONE day to drive on a PARKING LOT ! .... like a very nice long, slow and expensive test drive It's only after spending close to $1000 (level I $ II) do they actually take you to a racetrack and then it costs $$$ (okay you get M3 for the last one).

For the same money with BMW Club of Canada (Trillium chapter) or similar professional organizer, you can take your own car to a real racetrack (Mosport) for 2 full days with classes and in-car instructor.

AlexM520
You drive parking lot in level 1 and 2 because it's level 1 and 2. You need to learn basic car control first like understeer, oversteer, braking etc...before they let you out in the M3's on the racetrack. If you started out on with M3's on the track, you'll lose it for sure- even 330i you'll lose it.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #12
audiophilia
3rd Gear Member

Just took the BMW Advanced Drivers Course. Worth every penny. Amazing day, with great teaching, eye-opening skill development, and pleasant people.

Before you spend 500 on a mod, I suggest everyone take this course, in fact every crap driver in this city!!!

Parking lot? Well, yes, but deals with every fundamental; unless you are Schumacher, you can benefit from this course. Understeer was scary, oversteer.... Nearly woofed the great catering we were served!

Collision avoidance, emergency braking, etc...

www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile
audiophilia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: