Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
car pulling to both sides...

I do need an alignment, however I think this is suspension/bushing/balljoint related since it doesn't pull to just one side.

My car sometimes likes to pull to the left, sometimes to the right... she follows the grooves in the road.

I had my balljoints replaced earlier today, it helped quite a bit.. but not completely. She's still pulling. I'll be replacing my tie rods tomorrow.

I replaced my (very worn & dead) end links a few weeks back as well... it helped a bit.

Any ideas on what to check next?

btw.. I'm running on Yokohama ES100 225/40/18 up front.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Sounds like your car is tramlining. Mine has always done it, it's a normal thing with 225's or wider from what I know.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
jeffrie
Addict

Worn rear trailing arms bushings will cause wander as well.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
MarkD
Banned

Have you checked the toe-in? That's probably your problem.

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

I have the same brand of tires and they do tramline just like you described.
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:08 AM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Get it on a hoist and check it out man.
Thats the only way to tell.

Usually when you take ur car for an alignment they should check the suspension for you. There is no point in doing an alignment if something is gonna need replacing
Old 09-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
E36er
West Coast Contact!

ive have that from time to time too but i thought it was semi normal and my Mechanics teacher didnt see anything wrong, but maybe urs is different
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 AM   #8
Jari
4th Gear Member

all i know is ever since I switched to the staggered M3 rim setup, my car has done exactly as you describe. It kinda sways from side to side if there are ruts in the road.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari
all i know is ever since I switched to the staggered M3 rim setup, my car has done exactly as you describe. It kinda sways from side to side if there are ruts in the road.
Mine did that last year. This year all 4 tires are the same size and the problem stopped.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Tire pressure?

My 540 started doing it (a little), after rotating the tires. I understand that rotating the tires is not recommended anyway.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
shimajer
loudddddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari
same here.. after i got my 18s staggered...
shimajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen
Tire pressure?

My 540 started doing it (a little), after rotating the tires. I understand that rotating the tires is not recommended anyway.
lol, what are you crazy? unless your rims are staggered when you should rotate the tires, rotate ur damn tires. it only helps your tires perform equally on all sides, and improve long term durability.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_lover
you should rotate the tires, rotate ur damn tires. it only helps your tires perform equally on all sides, and improve long term durability.
In an e30 manual it says not to rotate your tires, im pretty sure it says so in e36s also. With a staggered set-up its a given you dont rotate them.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #14
windwagen
6th Gear Member

E46 lover ....yeah ..the mechanic in me agrees, but as T dot points out, BMW recommends against it. I am going to be changing out my front ball joints (lower control arm) and rear ball joints, which are all starting to wear. If it doesn't help, I'll prolly un rotate the tires.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #15
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
interesting..... I'm running staggered 18's as well and have noticed it ever since. doesn't make driving as enjoyable when you're fighting with your car to go straight everytime you hit a dip in the road. Can't be healthy for the tires trying to drag themselves around. hmm...

I'm going to replace my tierods later on today or tomorrow and will see if that helps any.. I know they need replacing, getting a little more wear on the inside of my tires.

What staggered setup were you guys running?

I'm at 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 rear.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: