Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

Audiobahn subs???

Do you guys know anything about this sub? I got a deal for $95 shipped for the Audiobahn AW1000Q 10" sub. Here are some pics of it as well. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #2
Gurl Bmw
2nd Gear Member

LJ Garcia has all AudioBahn.... I have only heard good things about the products... and they are nice looking.....

They make a 32" sub.... I believe the biggest so far.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
NOOOOOOOOO! My friend had audiobahn stuff, his twelves blew in no time and the amp caught on fire!!!!
My friend has two clarion subs 10" and he loves them and plays them just as hard and has had them for over a year.
Ciao
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

My friend is a certified car audio installer. And the verdict on Audiobahn is not good.

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
BAR10DER
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BAR10DER
audibahn subs

my experience with audiobahn has been very good. they have gotten great reviews. If you keep your music loud constantly, I'd go with JL Audio. My friend has two 12" W3's in his trunk, and can play them for hours up on arould 28 in a Panasonic unit. The head unil only has them on 2(of 10) and they are insanely strong still. He has a 1600w Legacy amp and I know Legacy sucks, so I wouldn't doubt that the sub can hold a lot. Just remember, A person has one a Competition with a JL Audio 500/1 Amp and two 12 W3's.

DREW
BAR10DER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:02 PM   #6
Harry
4th Gear Member

I know nothing about Audiobahn personally but it sounds like These subs were underpowered.

Quote:
My friend had audiobahn stuff, his twelves blew in no time and the amp caught on fire!!!!
I've blown 2 JL subs by not having enough power going to them. This is the easiest way to cook a sub as far as I know. I am satisfied with my subs as I have the 12w3's with 500 watts RMS pumping through them. Try to find some online reviews about them, and remember, you get what you pay for. If you want good sound, don't cheap out. (unless of course these are really good subs that you are getting an awesome deal on, then go nuts )
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

I actually got a deal for this sub for $80. I did some research and I found the cheapest prices to be around $185 for a brand new one. This one is just 2 months old and guarnteed to be in perfect shape. Well, I'll let you know how they turn out when I get them. But in the future, I am going to drop some hard cash and get me one really awesome 10".

I've heard tons of great stuff about JL Audio Subs. Someone told me that the W3 are best run in three's. Dunno. But what would be an awesome single 10" sub?

Last edited by SJTrance; 06-07-2002 at 09:13 AM.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:52 AM   #8
Harry
4th Gear Member

w3's should be run single or in pairs, not 3's. w6's ont he other hand should only be run in three's. If you want some serious power, buy the new w7, they will eat everything you throw at them. just make sure you have at least 600watts rms to throw.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:44 PM   #9
The Due
2nd Gear Member

Best single 10 sub, IMO, would be an Inifinity Perfect, JL, or a Kicker Comp. VR. A lot of people like other things brands though. I have 1 kicked comp vr 10 with 200 watts to it....
and it sounds nice
Old 06-07-2002, 02:03 PM   #10
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

You guys are giving me some awesome advice! Keep em' coming. I know about suspension stuff, drivetrain and other stuff about the car, but when it comes to sound, I just don't know squat. I guess I will now.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:24 PM   #11
The Due
2nd Gear Member

If your only getting one sub, I wouldn't scrimp. Plan to spend around $250 or more, your ears will thank you.
The other way to make sure you like your bass is to port it to the cabin. I can't stress this enough. It sounds amazing in sedans and coupes, and makes a system in a convertible tolerable. Also no rattling of license plates or trunks or anything. Just loud musical bass shooting directly into the back of your head. This can make a much bigger difference than what kind of sub you buy. But as always... it comes with a price. It's a lot more to have a custom box and port built than to order a prefab q-logic box from crutchfield. If your in the new york area I can reccomend a few people...
good luck. sick car by the way
Old 06-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #12
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

Very good idea, The Due! What I'm planning to do is this. Right behind my backseat, if I pull down the armrest, there is a piece of plywood (from the factory) which blocks the sound. I want to cut out this plywood so that the sound can get directly into the cabin. Is that what you mean my porting? I've also heard of porting tubes which can be connected into the cabin. I want to clean up my trunk also. Another requirement is that I want people to see the magnet on this sub for show purposes. Any ideas?

PS: Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-07-2002, 04:15 PM   #13
The Due
2nd Gear Member

Yes that is roughly what I mean by porting. What I mean specifically is designing a port directly from the sub that comes out into the cabin, that way the bass travels through the port (tube) and directly into the cabin, not just firing in the trunk and working its way through to the cabin. Opening up the armrest has a similar effect, but then there is still bass in the trunk.
I have a convertible, for my car there is no rear deck, so my port tube was designed to come through the ski-hole (rear armrest). However, since you have a 4 door, I would port through to the rear deck. My friend did that on his e46 328i, and it sounded amazing. If you give me an idea of your box/install budget I can give you an opinion about what I think will work best. I'm no install expert, but I've seen quite a few done by the best.
Also, since you've got an i, why not go for two subs ? You've got the room. My boy ran two kicker comp vrs with 300 watt zapco
Sorry I can't help you on making the magnet visible. I've always gone for the invisible system (max trunk space, low visibility) that sounds best as opposed to the bling bling installs with plexiglass and neon etc... although I do like the way they look. My system takes up the far back portion of the trunk and is carpeted over, wouldn't even know it was there.
Good luck dude. You need a sick system to match the way your car looks
Old 06-07-2002, 05:08 PM   #14
SJTrance
1st Gear Newbie

So, how big are the tubes we're talking about? This is what I'm planning to do with the rear install. I want to carpet a portion off in the back of my trunk (right behind the seat). If you look inside the car, all you should see is the ass end of the speaker sticking out. I mean, hell, I've got an attractive sub; why don't I show it off. Later on, I'll get a better sub with a huge magnet. A box or some sort of air entrapment would be created infront of the carpeted close-off. I already have some holes cut out from my previous system on the deck. When you're talking about routing the sound, is this a huge tube going to the cabin, or a small one (3 or 4 inches) from the box? I have not decided if I want to display my amps since they are both from different manufacturers and look completely different. One is a Sony explod and the other is an MTX. I'm not even sure this sub is going to be sufficient to push the sub, but I'll have to research when I get the sub in.

Last edited by SJTrance; 06-07-2002 at 05:29 PM.
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 05:50 PM   #15
The Due
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of my system this past weekend. I will try and get some done next weekend.
Im not talking about a huge tube, but pretty sizable. I guess my tube is about 6-8 inches from the box to the ski hole.
Sounds like you could do a box in the trunk but under the rear deck, with a port exiting and flush with the rear deck.
Tell me what components you have (what are the ratings on your two amps) and what your planning on buying and maybe I can try and map it out for you. Are you doing this yourself or taking it to an installer.
I took like 400 pictures of my car last weekend because I waxed it and got new rims, I cant believe I forgot to take pics of the audio... oh well heres a pic of the ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbsrx.jpg (131.4 KB, 115 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: