Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
My weekend at Mosport (Driving School)

I've been meaning to sign up for a driving school for over a year now and I finally did it over the winter. I wanted to do a school before I went lapping on my own, so at least I'd know what to expect, and to not get any bad habits.

The BMWCC Driving school was awesome. Since it was my first school and my first time on the track I was put in the beginner group, which was fine by me. There were 3 groups: A, B, and C (Advanced, intermediate, beginner).

The school was split up into three sections, class, exercise, and track.

Well started off with the class session for obvious reasons. Then hit the track with the instructor, slow speeds, full course yellow just to see the track. Mosport is no where near being flat, it's almost beautiful when you're driving it. The elevation changes are what makes it intimidating.

The exercises were fun, they're basically a skidpad with pylons, you have to manuver your way around, sorta like an auto-x, but you're encourages to let your car loose, to find it's limits. They wet down the skidpad also. Makes for some fun drifting sessions though.

Once I got used to the track I couldn't get enough of it. I was never pushed to go faster then I felt comfortable, which was good. My instructor did a kick ass job too. The best part on the track for is between corner 4 and 5. You accelerate down the hill, then slam on your brakes and feel the downward G's and you drive up what almost looks like a wall. Is the back straight and entering corner 8 is fun too, I was at about 190 before the braking zone, again on the brakes hard and accelerate through corner 8 at 120km/h, only to brake hard again and downshift into 3rd for corner 9. I love it.

I'm definately going to do this again, and I recommend it to everyone here. Remember, you only go as fast as you're comfortable with.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
ROBM3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROBM3
Ahh... brings back memories.....

ROBM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Here is a pic of me in either corner 2 or 4, I can't tell.

You can see the right rear sidewall flexing inward. Notice the fender height on the rear fender too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosport.jpg (33.6 KB, 305 views)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

Good stuff, Great pipcture as well, I'm guessing it's turn 2 from the lack of trees on the inside.

Glad to see that you realize the benefits of a school before venturing out on a track day for pure lapping. Too many people don't, and end up wondering why slower cars are passing them, or thinking something is wrong with their car, as they keep spinning.

How was the sessions on Sunday. I can remember doing a school at Mosport on April 28th, one year and it snowed! At least in the rain you learn to be smooth.
Mark
2001 330Cic
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by addbhp
How was the sessions on Sunday. I can remember doing a school at Mosport on April 28th, one year and it snowed! At least in the rain you learn to be smooth.
Mark
Yeah, it rained, but it sure made things interesting. Especially on those cement patches. We had to learn the wet lines, and be a lot more careful. I could feel my car getting loose under throttle exiting corner 3, 5c, and 10.

The rain made the skidpad awesome though, I spend a lot of time just doing drift laps around the pylon circle they had setup.

I would have been a lot better if it had rained on saturday, and was clear on sunday. But oh well, I can't control the weather.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
blackshark
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackshark
Dude how much did you pay i wanna do it too !!!!
blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
HIM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to HIM Send a message via MSN to HIM
Sounds good, I want to do some driving schools as well. Its stories like these that make me really want to experience it

Erwin Lee
HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by blackshark
Dude how much did you pay i wanna do it too !!!!
$401.25 for the weekend incl. taxes, and that includes dinner saturday evening. But you need to be a BMW club member (which you should be already ). Which is another $58.85.

Last edited by thinair; 04-26-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #9
msix
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations, way to go Nelson, this is the right way to stretch the muscels of your car, find out the limits, your own and that of your car, not on the 401, or 400, or any other PUBLIC ROAD.

First of all, you actually LEARN how to drive fast, not just stomp onto the right pedal and see who gets killed faster.

I felt like posting this kind of message here already a few times, but I always think I will get "shut down" pretty quickly. There is a place to drive fast and it is NOT the Public Highway. You take some Driving schools or even Lapping days, Driving school is better, because you have Instructors that teaches you the propper driving, but at Lapping days you'll learn it eventually too, after some excurisions into the fields, hopefully without damage.

I hate reading these "Kill stories", and I usually don't bother with this section, but I thought after I have seen a bunch of you guys up at Mosport this weekend, something good may come out of it AND BINGO!!! I hope more of you actually do come out and have some SAVE FUN at the track.

When I read these stories I wish to see you at the track with your "fast cars", and I will guarantee you, you don't have a chance around Mosport, even if you have twice as much HP.

You DON'T RACE at these Driving schools, but there is plenty of oportunity to "meassure up" to other cars on the track.
This past weekend we had a couple of STI's there, one of them in my group, and he desperately tried to catch me, driving my old 85 325es, well he tried.... caught up at the Back straight, but I got a big enough gap on the rest of the track that he was never close enough to pass me before corner 8 and on the Front straight I was already way ahead again. (btw, Corner 8 can be done with 140+, even with an almost "normal " car) Now, those two cars behind me were just WAYYYYY TO MUCH for me.

Anyways, the point is, take the racing to the TRACK, leave innocent people on the street out of it.

BTW Nelson, the picture is Corner 2.

Klaus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e30 chased 3.jpg (50.3 KB, 256 views)

85 325es
CASC-OR Regional Auto-X Series 2009 and 2010 1st place in D/Mod
Ontario Time Attack Series 2011 1st place in SGT2
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:07 AM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

The best part for me is that my instructor also had a 328is, but with less suspension work then my car. He had track pads and R compounds though.

Anyway, the last track session of the day on saturday was for the instructors. My instructor invited me along, and I went.

All I can say is that being in the car with someone, and watching the lines they take is a lot easier to figure out then being told what lines to do while driving. And the track walk at the end of the day also put a lot into perspective. I was having issues with corner 2, 4, and 5b. Corner 2 and 4 were mostly out of fear, I've never been a fan of fast downhill corners.

When we went on the walk, looking up corner 2 from the bottom makes the corner look completely different then driving down it. It's still a weird corner for me though.

With my instructor driving I realized how fast I could actually go down corner 4, and that I should go full throttle at the bottom of it. I was pussy footing around that corner until I realized how late and hard you can actually brake before entering 5a.

5b is yet another corner that was weird for me because you can't really see it until you're driving on it, so it was hard to aim up for me. Again the track walk, and going with my instructor in his car made the proper line appearent to me. Before then I just couldn't exit that corner without any real speed or smoothness.

On a side note, I almost barfed after the ride with my instructor from motion sickness. The first few laps honestly scared the crap out of me, I was thinking "so, when are you going to brake?.....BRAKE NOW!!.....ahhhhh, holy sh*t!!!!!", then he'd slam on the brakes last minute and we'd make it around the corner fast, smoothly, and in one piece. That ride was a real eye opener for me. No regrets.

Also, even though this was held by the BMW club does that mean by no means that if you don't have a BMW you can't participate. There were lots of cars aside from BMW's, a Ferrari, a couple Vipers, a 350z, lots of Porsches, a Civic, a few NSX's, a Prelude, MR2, a Fox-body Mustang, a Camero, etc, etc.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:07 AM   #11
msix
2nd Gear Member

Yup, those drives with your Instructor are real eye-openers. They usually tell you the "save" School line around the track, but when you drive with them they drive a complete different line. Most of them are Racers and drive their Race line, which most of the time is NOT the faster line, but more scary.

This weekend was the fourth time for me at this school and every time I learn new ways to get around the track. My Instructor this time gave me a few pointers and made me try some different lines which turned out to be easier and faster, specially around corner 5a, b, & c.

I still don't go 'full throttle' down corner 4, 160 IS ENOUGH, I don't think I could get my braking done into 5 going any faster. I am already very loose braking into 5a. I used to shift into 2nd gear between 5a and 5b, but with a new line I stay in 3rd and have enough speed out of 5b and actually now I am able to reach 190 km/h at the top of the back straight. Before I was going "ONLY" 180 to 185. Now I could shift into 5th before the 'Hump' because I am turning close to 7k's in 4th, but it may only gain me a couple of km/h in speed, however it would be shortening the braking distance into 8. So I leave in in 4th and just coast that little bit over the hump before braking.

Corner 2 is to be taken with great respect. It is amazing what just a little different entry into this corner can do to your exit. Again, this Instructor showed me a different line, and I gained there at least 10 km/h. I enter corner 2 now with about 130 and exit with 155.

I just love it when other students with new E46's or M3's or some Porsche's just have now choice but to let me by after I "push" them through some corners.

I guess these are not REAL Kill stories, because we actually do not endanger someone elses lives on the street, so these don't count.

Klaus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e30 chased 2.jpg (62.5 KB, 236 views)

85 325es
Old 04-27-2004, 03:17 AM   #12
msix
2nd Gear Member

I like this shot
you can see the "G-Force meter" hanging from the mirror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearend 1.jpg (46.2 KB, 221 views)

85 325es
Old 04-27-2004, 04:09 AM   #13
M3ntal Kev
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad you had a great time, Nelson. There is nothing like a weekend at Mosport to put the word speed into perspective.

I had quite a bit of fun this weekend too. We played a lot of cat & mouse when I wasn't busy learning things.

You'll eventually get comfortable carrying a lot of speed through corners 1,2,4 and 8. It can be unnerving at times, but its all part of the learning experience.

Klaus: I think we were in the same run group.

From the pic above you can sort of get the idea of how steep and fast corner 4 can be.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Last edited by M3ntal Kev; 04-27-2004 at 04:22 AM.
M3ntal Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #14
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
These are great pictures. Looks like you had fun!

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 AM   #15
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Nice pics guys, and way to encourage maXmembers to join. Next time there's a maX cruise to a BMWCC driving school... i'll be sure to guarantee many shot-gun drives around the track in fast cars... try and bring some helmets and we'll co-ordinate arrival in perfect time for joyrides.

Here's a shot of me lapping a Carrera 996 around corner 10 Friday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57ag0816-1.jpg (233.0 KB, 173 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 04-28-2004 at 03:47 AM.
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: