Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-23-2004, 02:47 AM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Hawk HP Plus brake pads

Well, I bought these yesterday and installed them today. I got them bedded in and they rule. I installed only fronts for now.

They're not even a comparison to the stock M3 pads I had on there.

I'm going to keep updating this over the next week or so to see how good they are when cold, or when hot. I'm going to Mosport this weekend and they should have no problem heating up there.

I'm going to do the rears soon too, but I want some new rotors before I do the pads (more then likely slotted rotors).

I bought these pads off Autotechnica (Bryan), who is a local dealer of Hawk pads. PM him for applications and pricing.

Basically all I need now are braided lines, rear pads and rotors, and to get my front rotors slotted and I'm done in the braking department for now.......until I decide to do a Porsche big red brake kit.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:05 AM   #2
98323IS
6th Gear Member

I have these too. Great performance, but the DUST OMG the FREAKING dust. And actually I put that anti squeel stuff on as well, and they still squeel like a biatch when I am slowly coasting up to a light or a stop sign. My next pads will be PBR Metalmasters
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Hawk HP has some weird metalic material in them so they last longer, and yes the brake dust is horrible, EBC green stuff is good, minimum brake dust, but wears out a little too fast

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'll take some dust in the name of braking performance thanks, and I'm not a fan of EBC's at all.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Nice. I'll be at Mosport as well, and I'll be testing out some Williams pads (only Canadian brake manuf). I'll post me results, sinnce they are cheaper, and supposedly far superior to HP. Mind you these are race pads (similar to Hawk blues) but they make all types.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, after day one at Mosport, I'm extremely happy with the pads. They never faded, and aren't noisy, but my front rims are coated in brake dust. Then again that is what happens when you have to slam on the brakes at turn #5 from 170 to 80 km/h, and on turn 8 fromt 200 to 130km/h. So far I don't mind the dust, i'll live. I'll keep you posted on how bad the dust is from street use.

On a side note, I went for a ride in my instuctors 328is (him driving of course), he had Hawk HT-10 race pads and Toyo RA-1 tires (R rated tires). It wasn't even funny how well his car stopped, with stock rotors! I don't even want to imagine how well a big brake kit would stop with race pads and tires....
Old 04-25-2004, 05:11 AM   #7
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Ya hehe the dust is horrible. BUT my car doesn't really see any track time what so ever, so it's all good. I don't know what everyone's beef is with EBC's, but I had them on my old car, and I loved em! Oh well, either way like I said, my next pads will be metalmasters.
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:53 AM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Here's an update on the pads.

So far I've done and autocross on them, lots of street driving, and a driving school at Mosport.

Here are my impressions so far:

-they like to be warm, I noticed if it's colder then 6-8 degrees out they don't stop as well as when it's warmer out. In the cold they stop about as good as stock, but I haven't tried them below freezing.
-they are pretty dusty, my rims almost looked gunmetal after the weekend at Mosport, but then again Mosport is pretty hard on brakes appearently
-they squeal sometimes, at low speeds though, like when driving in a parking lot, or when about to come to a stop.
-aside from the above issues, they brake awesome.

I did a few tests with stock M3 pads, from 200-50 a few times, the stock pads didn't like the heat very much, after like 4 hard stops the brakes were just scary. The car just wouldn't slow down quickly, I couldn't even get the ABS to kick in a low speeds.

I did the same thing after bedding and driving the Hawk's for a couple days. They braked the same everytime, I did 7 200-50 stops and they were very consistant. I'm happy.

At mosport I brake pretty hard at corners 5a and 8, the brakes actually suprised me. Ok, they're not full on track pads, but for street pads they're awesome.

I have no idea how hard they are on the rotors yet, so far the rotor has no lip on it, and the pad is 25% gone.

I'm definately buying these pads again and again....

....now for the rears.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
SickFinga

so whats wrong with EBC green?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
so whats wrong with EBC green?
I've just heard that the Hawks are way better. The EBC's aren't really all that aggressive.

I've never tried the EBC's, so I can't compare, plus the Hawks were cheaper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: