Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Sluggish performance after "spirited driving" M20

Second time this has happened and I was looking for some insight.

Took advantage of the rain yesterday and a large empty parking lot....Boy does an M20 like to shake it in the rain with shitty all-season tires...

I wasnt doing any crazy banging the rev-limiter 3rd gear drifts, but I was driving my car pretty hard for maybe 10 mins, ran flawlessly.
Then once I was finished and on the way home I had severe power loss between 2500-4000rpm. After 4k it cleared up again.
Pulled in a parking lot, turned it off, checked the oil, (spot on after recent oil change), temp was normal, waitied 5 mins and then drove home with no problem.

Any ideas? Didnt sound like a miss-fire, and I'm not too concerned because this exact same thing happend a month ago, and has been running normal since.

There is no better way to drive home from work than in an E30 that I can push from time to time.

Thanks
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

Possible vacuum leak due ti increased temperature inside the engine bay due to spirited driving.
Likely some part/gasket change its properties due to higher than normal temperature inside the engine bay and gave the leak go. When engine cooled down everything returned back to normal, e.g. your motor started working proper again.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Woofer
6th Gear Member

When was the last time the car had some maintenance done to it? I had similar symptoms last year, mainly on the highway or at WOT. It would only happen sometimes, more so on damp days.

This spring I did the spark plugs (mine were done!), wires, distributor cap and rotor (mine were toast after inspection), air filter, fuel filter and fuel injector treatment.

Now the car feels brand new. I haven't had any problems on damp days or during WOT.

I do however suffer from terrible gas consumption, but that's a whole other story. Lol

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Basic tune-up does seem like the ticket; to start with at least. Order's in!

Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Did you pull a plug to see if its fouled to heck?
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Bunch of parts later and it is running better. I havent had any "spirited driving rain sessions" but it idle's a bit smoother and is noticeably better in the mid-range.
All OEM Bosch stuff. Plugs, wires, dizzy and rotor. Flushed the rad out well this week too, stays much cooler in traffic.

I've only owned this one just over a year and havent gotten around (or needed to do) much maintenance so all this was long overdue. I'm pretty sure I pulled the original cap off the car. (226km)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw 009.jpg (105.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bmw 004.jpg (133.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bmw 003.jpg (132.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bmw 005.jpg (123.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bmw 006.jpg (116.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Good stuff!!! Wow that cap looks just as bad as the one I took out. Pretty sure mine was original too.

Did you give it any fuel injector cleaner? If not, should be next on your list. How does your air filter look?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Air filter is fine for the moment. As for fuel, so far i've only dumped a few injector cleaners in the gas tank. We have some other fuel cleaner set-up at the shop that requires an air supply and disconnecting the fuel line to run the car off this "cleaner" Should get a filter as well and hook up my evap return line to the gas tank again. That'll be next week.

Then on to the rest of the list.....Doesnt everyone just love their PO's? And this thing was "formerly owned by a BMW mechanic" sure sure.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

This weekend's pickings. Solved my A/C problem. It is no longer broken, it doesnt exist!

Still have to remove the parts under the dash and a few more wires, but all the pipes are gone. Gotta be close to 30lbs. Also, I'm gonna re-install the a/c pushed fan, becase there is never enough cooling power in an M20 IMO.

Anybody think these old a/c lines/motor/condensor is worth anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw 011.jpg (189.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Woofer
6th Gear Member

LOL not sure what your plans for the car are, but if it's a daily you will miss that AC lol. Good luck! (telling you from experience!)

Nice e30 btw!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

Do you know if this a/c condenser is compatible with m42 engine?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Most of my cars and all the E30's i've owned have lacked a/c. The E30 does pretty well in the window department though.

375km on Sunday on some roads North East of Orillia, around Queen EII Provincial Park. The car is pretty rough around the edges, but shows really nice.

Also, mr illia I'm not sure about M42 fitment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01278mmm.jpg (253.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01282mmm.jpg (202.4 KB, 22 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: