Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #16
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
There's also ///M535i in the early '80's......
And actually, that was the first *official* ///M car that BMW produced.

The M1 was never really intended as a road-going vehicle, so the M535i was the first vehicle truly built for public consumption.

They were never available in North America though.

The E28 M5 was next, followed by the ///M6, and then the E30 M3, and then the E34 M5, which (along with the M540i for Canada) was the last ///M vehicle produced at the Garching ///M plant in Germany. Now all ///M vehicles are produced on the normal assembly lines alongside non-M badged cars.

The E46 M3 was actually not going to be called an M3, but rather the 330 CSi (much like the 4.6iS and the 850 CSi). BMW Motorsport didn't think it worthy of the ///M badge, but BMW Marketing (which is the new ///M!!) did. Marketing one, and hence the new ///M3.

There were also several non-M badged cars which were certainly worthy of one; the 635 CSi and the 850 CSi being the two most common.

One of BMW M's requirements for the badge is availability of a manual transmission. The X5 4.6iS can't have an ///M badge because it's an automatic tranny only.

There is quite a collection of politics in which ///M cars are imported into North America and which aren't. Prior to 1996, BMW Canada and BMW-NA were two separate entities, and cars imported into one might not have been imported into others.

BMW-NA was pissed at Canada getting the '94 Euro M3 and '95 M540i so much so that BMW AG gave BMW-NA the M3 LTW in 1995 to make up for it. That model was never offered in Canada.

From 1996 on, BMW-NA has determined which cars would be imported into both Canada and the United States (due primarily to consistent regulation of import restrictions).

The 1994 Euro M3 we got because of an old Canadian law which allowed the importing of any vehicle which was already certified (smog, safety etc) in at least one of a short list of countries. A couple of European countries were on that list, and BMW Canada was allowed to import the Euro M3. That law was changed in 1995....and the rest is history.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #17
SickFinga

M1 was available for publicm I think just about 400 were made.
and all CSI cars considered as M cars. The VIN starts with WBS
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #18
SickFinga

I really have no idea, but I don't think e36 and up models were hand built, too many cars were made
Old 05-23-2002, 07:10 PM   #19
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga

hmm why it is not REAL m3 engine, yes it is real but it is a cheaper version of m3 engine.
So if BMW put m sign on it, it is real
The US specification E36 M3 engines are simply upgraded 325 engines w/ a different intake manifold and a larger bore, everyone knows that. So in actuallity they aren't the "real" M3's where as most other "///M" cars still have the same or similar Euro spec design engines.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:10 PM   #20
SickFinga

1. 95 m3 had tuned up 325 engine, 96 and up had 328 engine.
2. I thought camshaft are different too.

if M division placed an m sign than is it real M.
Most bimmer are 6cyl except 1.5-1.8 engine, so this is not a real bimmer?

M Roadster and M coupe comes with 240hp engines I believe in Europe.
So what I'm trying to say that it IS an m engine except that is it a cheaper version.

Last edited by SickFinga; 05-23-2002 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:22 PM   #21
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
1. 95 m3 had tuned up 325 engine, 96 and up had 328 engine.
2. I thought camshaft are different too.

if M division placed an m sign than is it real M.
Most bimmer are 6cyl except 1.5-1.8 engine, so this is not a real bimmer?

M Roadster and M coupe comes with 240hp engines I believe in Europe.
So what I'm trying to say that it IS an m engine except that is it a cheaper version.
Most modern day BMW's are 6 cyl. BMW was famous for the 4 cyl engines.

You are kinda comparing oranges to apples here. I was saying that the US spec E36 M3 isn't a real M3 ENGINE, which means it wasn't built from the bottom up like the Euro spec engine was, it was simply a modified engine. What would a 4 cyl BMW not be a BMW? I don't get it. The US spec M3 engine is still a great engine don't get me wrong, but I don't think its comparable to the REAL ///M.

Anyways, like I said earlier. There are other things which make a BMW an ///M besides just the engine. I'm not insulting your car Vlad, I'm simply stating the truth.

My own 318 engine was an M42, a US spec motor which was based on the 850 engine design. Its a nice engine design but still not a true Eurospec, so in a way I do feel like I'm not driving a true German made BMW.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 05-23-2002 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:27 PM   #22
SickFinga

bmw famous for 4cyl engines?

are you kidding? From what I've heard 4cyl bmw engines are most unreliable bmw engines.(not e30 m3s)
Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 PM   #23
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
bmw famous for 4cyl engines?

are you kidding? From what I've heard 4cyl bmw engines are most unreliable bmw engines.(not e30 m3s)
Thats correct. Read up on their racing history. Lots of 4 cyl competitors.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #24
SickFinga

m1 - 6cyl
3.5csl - 6cyl
3.0csl - 6cyl

I know that you are not trying to insult my car, what i'm trying to say that how can it be not real M if BMW put M sign on it?
Old 05-23-2002, 09:35 PM   #25
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Man, you left out the most famous 4 cyl of all! The 2002?

Old 05-23-2002, 09:35 PM   #26
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3

Vlady,you are misinformed there.

Bmw started out with their 4 cylinder engines. They were and still are the most successful engine,not only in racing,but also in sales. The legendary 2002 model really saved BMW from Banruptcy. The 2002 has a 4 cylinder engine and passsed it in the 320i e21. Then in '83-'84 the 318 was born.
hmmm I always though Isetta saved BMW from banrupticy.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:38 PM   #27
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD
Man, you left out the most famous 4 cyl of all! The 2002?
yeah 2002 Turbo was 4cyl.

also when someone say BMW i think i6.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:38 PM   #28
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:

hmmm I always though Isetta saved BMW from banrupticy.
I remember it was the 2002. People didn't like the larger BMW's at that time so BMW came up with a more compact design. It sold like hot cakes and it was also a rust bucket! hehe

Anyways,

Vlad, BMW 4 cyl engines are just as reliable as the 6 cyl engines. Theoretically 4 cyl engines will have more wear than 6 cyl since they need to work harder but thats about it.

Bryan

Old 05-23-2002, 09:41 PM   #29
SickFinga

I dunno how reliable 4cyl, I never had or knew someone wirh 4cyl bmw. Wehn I lived in Estonia most of my friends had bimmers and all of them were 6cyl.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #30
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Well my next car is either going to be a 1992-93 E36 318 or 325. After driving the stock 325 I have to say that my 318 was way quicker! My 318 was modified but I mean I just expected more from the 325.

Bryan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: