Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Improving sound with an OEM deck

I'm just curious here, I dunno if I'm going to commit yet.

I've been thinking of improving the audio in my car, but I have three restrictions that I have set.

1. The OEM deck and amp stays
2. No subs, external boxes, amps etc.
3. No cutting of the interior to fit larger speakers

I don't want heart stopping bass or anything, just an improvement over stock without making it look like anything has been done.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
just replace all the OEM speakers with better ones, won't be louder, but at least the sound would nice & crisper, I was planning on doing the same thing to my speakers so the interior looks stock

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

Hey Thinair,

didn't your model come with the upgraded Harmon Kardon System?

i have the HK myself, and IMO, its awesome the way it is.

what are you wanting to improve? clarity? highs, lows, mids?
Old 03-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gates
Hey Thinair,

didn't your model come with the upgraded Harmon Kardon System?

i have the HK myself, and IMO, its awesome the way it is.

what are you wanting to improve? clarity? highs, lows, mids?
No HK on my car, I've been thinking of upgrading to it though, I've never heard them in person though. There are a lot of guys selling the HK's out of their cars (after switching to a custom setup)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 03-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
BiBimBap
4th Gear Member

Hey - I think we're both looking for the same kinda results.. although I've upgraded to an Alpine head deck (gotta have my MP3s)

I think I'm going to upgrade to Alpine speakers..for the front tweeters, front woofers and the rears.. nothing that requires cutting or custom install. I'm still wondering if it's worth it to re-do the wiring with aftermarket wires?
BiBimBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I personally don't think the HK speakers from BMW are that great, I would recommand replacing your speakers to
Boston Acoustic Component speakers

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
SebSter
6th Gear Member

Why do you wanna keep the oem deck and amp? its really the biggest bottleneck of the system

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:29 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, this is going to sound kinda contradicting, but I like the OEM look, and I'd rather spend money elsewhere on my car then on audio. I don't usually have the radio even on unless I'm cruising on the highway. But I am an audiophile at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I just want a subtle improvement here, and nothing wallet emptying.

Appearently the 96 and newer decks/amps on the e36s are a vast improvement over the 95 and older stuff.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

upgrading the speakers ??
Old 03-14-2004, 04:21 AM   #10
sonic07
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Well, this is going to sound kinda contradicting, but I like the OEM look, and I'd rather spend money elsewhere on my car then on audio. I don't usually have the radio even on unless I'm cruising on the highway. But I am an audiophile at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I just want a subtle improvement here, and nothing wallet emptying.

Appearently the 96 and newer decks/amps on the e36s are a vast improvement over the 95 and older stuff.
do you know if the 96 and later decks would fit into my car (92)?
same here i like the OEM look. can confirm on that for me ... thanks.

Pedal To The Metal
sonic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 AM   #11
SebSter
6th Gear Member

I understand what ur saying, I have some friends like that too, who just love their car for performance and driving....and just leave the music on barely in the background so theres something to hear. In that case your best bet is probably to upgrade the speakers, since theyre behind panels anyways it wont change the look of the car and you should get a nicer sound, just dont expect too much of an improvement because generally even the oem speakers can handle a lot more than they are actually fed by the stock amp... which is why biggest improvements are usually heard when you change to an aftermarket deck which puts out more power

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:36 AM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by SebSter
I understand what ur saying, I have some friends like that too, who just love their car for performance and driving....and just leave the music on barely in the background so theres something to hear. In that case your best bet is probably to upgrade the speakers, since theyre behind panels anyways it wont change the look of the car and you should get a nicer sound, just dont expect too much of an improvement because generally even the oem speakers can handle a lot more than they are actually fed by the stock amp... which is why biggest improvements are usually heard when you change to an aftermarket deck which puts out more power
It's funny you mention that, my friend has a 94 318, he swapped out the factory deck and put in an alpine deck (don't remember the model). 40Wx4, it's no longer as loud as mine, it just puts out highs, but no bass.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
Rally318ti
3rd Gear Member

I have everything oem besides a upgraded pioneer deck,this is the reason y,....... all speakers will be still running through the stock amp which every speaker is restricted to what they put out due to all the caps in the amp, if you change the speakers you WILL NOT hear or feel any diff what so ever since the amp will restrict the sound, unless of course you clear things up with a upgraded deck, I.E the pioneer which can change the freq of the signal, you will lose bass though in doin' this.............If you're not willing to change the deck don't do anything at all..........like you said you could use the money else where.......there are other options but everything is money........

FOR SALE:

Orion Cobalt 465 4 channel Excellent shape $150

Also have E30, E36, Z3 318ti KMAC REAR CAMBER KIT BNIB opened. New Price $60
Rally318ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: