Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #16
Jaghaath
1st Gear Newbie

It's a BMW=drivers car. The E39 has been said many times to be the best cars in the world. When the E34 M5 came out it was in the league of its own, same with th E28 M5.
And what't the point comparing 5-series to some crappy neon or S-class, it's like comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted a luxurious car I'd buy a 7, if I wanted a fast and nimble car I'd buy a M3, if I wanted a good winter car I'd buy an iX or X5. What would be the point of other models if the 5 would be the best in all those categories?
Are u stupid or just a troll?

E28 M535i
Jaghaath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #17
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaghaath
It's a BMW=drivers car. The E39 has been said many times to be the best cars in the world. When the E34 M5 came out it was in the league of its own, same with th E28 M5.
And what't the point comparing 5-series to some crappy neon or S-class, it's like comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted a luxurious car I'd buy a 7, if I wanted a fast and nimble car I'd buy a M3, if I wanted a good winter car I'd buy an iX or X5. What would be the point of other models if the 5 would be the best in all those categories?
Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges... did you miss the point of the question I asked? why is this car so great when it is not THE BEST at anything?

Quote:
Are u stupid or just a troll?
Relax boy, I own a 5 series... Im just causing trouble. No need to be an internet tough guy.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 AM   #18
familysedan
2nd Gear Member

5 series is not the best of everything, but it has everything.
It got performance, handling, luxury, and also class.
By comparing to the same class, it is just better than others.
familysedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #19
Gamite

Re: Re: Re: What is so good about a 5 series?

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
So what is the purpose of the 5 series? It is not exceptional at anything. Yes, I know it has a good mix of everything... but so does an Audi A4 or a BMW 330i. What does a 5 series do that either an A4 or 330i can't do?
5 has more lux options than those two.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #20
e28535isghost
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to e28535isghost
ok so maybe the 5 isnt the best at everything but in this world today if you think your the best there is definately better alot better someone is always gonna have better looks, be faster and handel better no matter what you have if you dont like the 5 dont buy one, but dont make us sound dumb for having them because my friend's 2000 323ci cant even come close to touching my e28 from light to light and on the highway see ya lata, yea he has all that traction control so it keeps him on the road, so yea he can outhandle me the 5 is a great car and in my mind is in its own class and who cares about some audi and a crappy neon that in another 60,000 you will find it in a junkyard somewhere, no comparison!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw sign.jpg (65.9 KB, 91 views)
e28535isghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:00 PM   #21
Miguel
...Delt Smash

lol, looks like 5 series owners are the testy type

Here's more fuel to the fire:

Great touring cars but not the greatest gas consumption.
Aftermarket.... WHAT aftermarket?!?

discuss amongst yourselves.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #22
e28535isghost
1st Gear Newbie

yea you got us on the fuel consumption i think the only aftermarket part that i havent found yet is a supercharger kit for my e28 and i know you can get alot more for the newer stuff out there but yea its not as easy to find parts as a 3 series but there still out there and we dont need a bunch of aftermarket stuff cuz most 5's are fast as they are!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m5.jpg (146.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #23
e28535isghost
1st Gear Newbie

who said you cant race a 5er??????? that looks like an e28 M5 to me!! kinda looks like hes side by side with that m3 2??
Old 03-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #24
Gamite

Quote:
lol, looks like 5 series owners are the testy type
Especially the ones driving Black E34's named Miguel.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #25
Jaghaath
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges... did you miss the point of the question I asked? why is this car so great when it is not THE BEST at anything?
It is the best at it's own class. It's not supposed to be the best at everything and there's no other car that is. I just don't get your point?

E28 M535i
Old 03-11-2004, 09:15 PM   #26
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWF1
^^^ this guy likes to stick that nose in also, al you wanna go to T.O. next weekend, yes or no, not difficult?
i sure do..... just not with you
Old 03-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #27
BMWF1

^^^ then take the golf off, call my cell phone when you break down on the 401 and need a ride the rest of the way
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Ok, I've driven my mom's E34 pretty hard for, uh, 'testing' purposes.

For a 190hp 3560lbs car with an auto, it still pulls to 200km/h pretty well, although it takes a minute to get there.

For it's size, I'm also suprised how well it takes the corners, and how predictable it is. I might even auto-x it in July.

And the brakes rule (when the suspension bushings are in good shape)

I tried an e34 540ia a while ago, although I wish it was manual, it still pulled really hard, and nothing rules more then the sound of a german V8.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:46 AM   #29
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
It is the best at it's own class. It's not supposed to be the best at everything and there's no other car that is. I just don't get your point?
My point is, why drive a car that does everything well but nothing great?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
Especially the ones driving Black E34's named Miguel.
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally posted by e28535isghost
who said you cant race a 5er??????? that looks like an e28 M5 to me!! kinda looks like hes side by side with that m3 2??
I think that E36 M3 is slightly ahead, Its definately ahead in tuneability, parts prices, parts availibility, handling, raw power, and resale value.

OK, here's something to think about... for the price of a new 5 series.. why not buy a Corvette Z06 for the summer and a used Subaru Impreza or Legacy for the winter? Subaru>5er in winter, pricing, gas consumption, & handling... Z06>5er in almost everything except fit/finish & interior.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #30
Jaghaath
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
My point is, why drive a car that does everything well but nothing great?
Because it's a compromise. If I'd buy a fast and nimble car it wouldn't be as spacious and luxurious. And if I'd buy a pure luxury car it would be too big and heavy. And for winter there's no need to have a AWD car, just good set of winter tyres. Isn't it enough that I just like it alot, it has good looks, it's a drivers car but with 4 doors, RWD and is a BMW. I still understand where you're getting with this

E28 M535i

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: