Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

E30, with 325i engine?

guys i need your opinions.

whats the absolutely cheapest way to make a BMW track car? Im thinking of something along the lines of taking a 1990 3series, and giving it a 150wet shot. Dumping the car, and just gutting it along with cutting everything out of the car, no padding, one seat, no rebars, nothing. Perhaps a nice front bumper or lip to give it a nice look and to give it some aerodynamics.

is this feasable? do i need to get a new engine? How durable is a 325i engine from that year or a new one? If so how much to swap etc etc...

as i understand they have about 185hp stock... giving it about 150whp and with a 150wet.. it should have about 300hp, give it two serious tires and that thing should hook like a bat outta hell !

opinions?! (this is obviously not going to be my daily driver)
Old 03-12-2004, 04:09 AM   #2
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

Send a message via MSN to felixthecat
nos on the track?you must mean drag....
felixthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:12 AM   #3
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
a super charger would be better for the track
Old 03-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

sorry yes when i say track i mean drag, yea i know a nitrous car on track is worthless and dangerous too probably.

im just wonder about reliablility and what kinds of shots youve seen being run in that 6. Do any of you know how light i can get the car? Anyway thats enough questions lol
Old 03-15-2004, 03:49 AM   #5
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

i had an 88' is stripped out..very quick...dont bother with slicks at the back...go with non aggressive soft compound snow tires..the e-30 likes to launch with a bit of spin....it has independant rear suspension....if you hook too good ,somethings gonna break...there faster if they slip a bit anyway...as for nos....ask john hubbert about how much is too much..he knows...and you should be able to get it down to about 2000 pounds before extra support bracing is needed...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

thanks! yes i was going to even start cutting into some of the skeleton under the body, and giving it a few well placed stress bars inside not for rollcage purposes more like for stiffness.

So you say i shouldnt hook up too well eh? OK, i will keep that in mind, i dont want to dump a lot of money into it i just want a great looking, close to stock , but fast car, i figure... go older... and really only three cars come to mind.. E30, 240fastback, and merkur XRTi4
Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

an older 325 is would be ideal...peel all the sound deadening material out,cut out the whole rear floor pan(back seat mount,trunk pan)zap in a piece of sheet metal...put some snows on it....the xr4ti isn't a bad choice either...very cheap tuning on that motor...ever considered a mazda rotary?i draged one for a year out west....very relible and an excellent drag chassis....you'd be able to find one of those for the best price(83-85 gsl)=500$
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

ahhh. thats a good one too.. im leaning towards the BMW, cause one i love the looks, and the name.. but also.. if i want to run a strickly nitrous car, im thinking. which RWD car, with bigger displacment should i get.. (cc`s= more shot ) those rotary engines are geat, but i dont know about how much shot i could possibly put through it.

that actually brings the next question ... do you or anyone else know how the pistons are made? forged or cast? and is there any weak spots like, rod bolts, or perhaps in the head?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
EuroSpectacle
88iS

Send a message via MSN to EuroSpectacle
I wanna do that exact same thing except to a turbod 88 iX... but not drag maybe rally or track...
EuroSpectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
You should try and custom turbo it.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #11
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

too much money but a good idea. A wet shot i can purchase for 1000bucks, install it myself, tune it on dyno and wideband once and im set, turbo.. well i had a turbo car, i have most of the parts but tuning will cost as much as buying a bottle.

gutted, dropped on the stiffest lowest springs possible and a wet shot is cheap and a helova lot of fun for drag racing thats all im going for. Turbo would be nice but it`s more money really
Old 03-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

the weak spots seem to be the rockers and cam bearings....but you should go look at a few drag racing sites....you might just change your mind about the rx7's....you dont see to many bwm's running up front in the drag series...the rotary is king...but the e-30 is a nice choice..it would be nice to see one out there..
Old 03-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #13
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase
a super charger would be better for the track
Who told you that a supercharger is better for the track. Straight motor is the best my friend
Old 03-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greekthang
Who told you that a supercharger is better for the track. Straight motor is the best my friend
i disagree!

this is why...

all motor you need a big displacement motor, big wieght in the front, you are constantly in midrange with the car with litttle spurts of top gear and low. Any turn you have is compromised but a big ass engine.

supercharged, you have the same amount of hp, with half the motor, with half the weight. Tires, handling everything is better. Since superchargers dont work like a turbo and you get a steady climb of psi, well, there is no place where you have to watch out for sudden boosts.

i say supercharge/ smaller displacement is the way to go fro track.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
greekthang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigbore
i disagree!

this is why...

all motor you need a big displacement motor, big wieght in the front, you are constantly in midrange with the car with litttle spurts of top gear and low. Any turn you have is compromised but a big ass engine.

supercharged, you have the same amount of hp, with half the motor, with half the weight. Tires, handling everything is better. Since superchargers dont work like a turbo and you get a steady climb of psi, well, there is no place where you have to watch out for sudden boosts.

i say supercharge/ smaller displacement is the way to go fro track.
Wrong my friend. If you have been in a totally setup race car you would understand why. Do you have any idea at what rpms the cars run at on the track. They see nothing less then 4500rpm. Hey if you have the money to rebuilt a blower alot go right ahead. The bearing would be fired in that blower. When you set-up a car for the track my friend you want it to last more then a season. So go ahead but you can get crazy power from the motor alone and while yours is in the shop having the blower rebuilt I will be enjopying that track days.

See you at the finish line

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: