Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Turbo E30 options?

Ok.. now I've been curious as to how much potential there is in the 12V 2.5L in the E30 w/ forced induction...

I know it's been done... but honestly... what are the limits of the motor in stock form? I know the compression on the motors is fairly low to start, but how does the head flow? and with some porting and matching, how well could it flow then?

Would it be worth it to swap in a 24V? I'm sure it flows much better, but if the 12V can make decent power, I have no problem leaving it in the car.

Are there any sites on E30 turbo's? Information, how to's? Build up's? I'd really be curious on how much boost I can run safely on the motor with compleat stock internals... Full T4 should be about right for the size of the motor...

I know my buddy with his 12V VR6 @ 7 psi makes 270 whp, his motor is compleatly stock, but I also know that the VR's are pretty beefy to start with.

Anyone else have any insight?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
refer to this post for more info. always wanted to see a turbo slam on the m20 but never got to do it.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...ighlight=Turbo

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
atilla
3rd Gear Member

same NOTORIOUS VR that chilled on torontostreetracing.com?
atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

That's right... I'm still there...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZiMMie
refer to this post for more info. always wanted to see a turbo slam on the m20 but never got to do it.

Thanx for the links man... but maybe some external sites perhaps?

Although it seems on the M20 I'd be fine with around 7-10 psi (intercooled of course)... one restriction I can see would be the AFM, I know on my previous E30's it's very restrictive!

Can anyone tell me the years of which E30's cam with the motronic engine management? That would be ideal, since I know someone that can tune the motronic system (on a dyno) and burn a custom chip for my boosted application. So even if I get larger injectors and use an FMU I can taylor the timing to match.

What I really would like to know is the limits of a boosted M20... has anyone seen any claims of 300+ WHP on a stock motor?

I think that the motor should be able to handle it, the straight 6 design gives the motor quite a bit of strength... and by addressing the fueling issues and proper tuning, I'd like to think 300 WHP is possible.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a way to replace the AFM with something else, like a regular MAF from say a Mustang or other euro car with Motronic management? Say like and Audi S4?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
djtbster
R/C JUNKIE

Send a message via MSN to djtbster
i think i my e30 can hold the boost easy since my c/r is round 8.1 i think, im planning to do the same route like you vr, but he funds is low right now lol
djtbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOTORIOUS VR
Thanx for the links man... but maybe some external sites perhaps?

Although it seems on the M20 I'd be fine with around 7-10 psi (intercooled of course)... one restriction I can see would be the AFM, I know on my previous E30's it's very restrictive!

Can anyone tell me the years of which E30's cam with the motronic engine management? That would be ideal, since I know someone that can tune the motronic system (on a dyno) and burn a custom chip for my boosted application. So even if I get larger injectors and use an FMU I can taylor the timing to match.

What I really would like to know is the limits of a boosted M20... has anyone seen any claims of 300+ WHP on a stock motor?

I think that the motor should be able to handle it, the straight 6 design gives the motor quite a bit of strength... and by addressing the fueling issues and proper tuning, I'd like to think 300 WHP is possible.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a way to replace the AFM with something else, like a regular MAF from say a Mustang or other euro car with Motronic management? Say like and Audi S4?
I ran once 10 PSI was amazing, pull very very hard, I think with 10-11 PSI this engine should be doing arround 240 RWHP or 260 HP or so...

Mine is stock, stock CR wich is 8.8:1 pretty nice CR for turbo. I think this engines can handle up to 15 PSI with out major problems, another guy was runing 14 PSi and was doing arround 270 RWHP like 300-310 HP

With good fuel, well intercooled (even when my IC sucks(soon will be upgraded) ) runing 10 PSI with 21 LB/h injectors with FMU 10:1 wasn't pinging, runing with the stock advance and stock ECU

I'm almost finishing installing my SMT6 wich is a pyggy back system and leave me to tune all the parameters of the engine, you can advance for example the spark from 1k3k RPM for fast response and then leave it stock or retard from 3K RPM & UP, play with the duty cycle of the injectors, O2 sensor and many others included swapping a nice E36 MAF.

Oh BTW....that's not your car in the sig??
Old 03-17-2004, 01:53 AM   #8
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by diegom6
I ran once 10 PSI was amazing, pull very very hard, I think with 10-11 PSI this engine should be doing arround 240 RWHP or 260 HP or so...

Mine is stock, stock CR wich is 8.8:1 pretty nice CR for turbo. I think this engines can handle up to 15 PSI with out major problems, another guy was runing 14 PSi and was doing arround 270 RWHP like 300-310 HP

With good fuel, well intercooled (even when my IC sucks(soon will be upgraded) ) runing 10 PSI with 21 LB/h injectors with FMU 10:1 wasn't pinging, runing with the stock advance and stock ECU

I'm almost finishing installing my SMT6 wich is a pyggy back system and leave me to tune all the parameters of the engine, you can advance for example the spark from 1k3k RPM for fast response and then leave it stock or retard from 3K RPM & UP, play with the duty cycle of the injectors, O2 sensor and many others included swapping a nice E36 MAF.

Oh BTW....that's not your car in the sig??
nice... thanx for the reply... ya I think about the same... full T4 with around 12-15 psi shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the tuning done right... the 8.8:1 CR is pretty good for turbo since it's low enough to leave some margine for error, but high enough to have lag at a minimum...

Do you have a link to this SMT6 piggy back system? May I ask around how u paid for it?

And no.. the sig is not my car... It's just a random E30 M3 pic that I found somewhere (might even be from here) that I use as a sig
Old 03-17-2004, 02:09 AM   #9
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOTORIOUS VR
nice... thanx for the reply... ya I think about the same... full T4 with around 12-15 psi shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the tuning done right... the 8.8:1 CR is pretty good for turbo since it's low enough to leave some margine for error, but high enough to have lag at a minimum...

Do you have a link to this SMT6 piggy back system? May I ask around how u paid for it?

And no.. the sig is not my car... It's just a random E30 M3 pic that I found somewhere (might even be from here) that I use as a sig
look at SMT6 I bought the unit from Gunni, a guy who live in south Africa, Iceland. in he is in r3vlimited, a group of buyers, inlcuded me bought some units, like 6 or so...he gave us a special disscount since we were a group buyer, ask there, many members are trying to creat a new group buyer for it...if not talk to gunni at his msn...(PM to give it to you)

Mine costed me arround360 or so, can't remember shipped to my door.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Gunnar Reynisso
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunnar Reynisso
I donīt live in Sout Africa, Iceland as they are both on diffrent sides of the planet

I live in Iceland wich is north east of the US
"17x8,5 CR7/Toyo 215/40-17
"17x9,5 CR7/Toyo 245/35-17
Konis front & Mcoupe Konis rear
http://www.gstuning.net
Gunnar Reynisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #11
atilla
3rd Gear Member

nice to have you on here vr what this project your working on now? you got yourself an e30 ...do yo still have your jetta?
atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #12
diegom6
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Reynisso
I donīt live in Sout Africa, Iceland as they are both on diffrent sides of the planet

I live in Iceland wich is north east of the US
OOps!!I'm a idiot, I thought you were in SOuth Africa in some place vcalled Iceland....lol
Old 03-19-2004, 02:13 PM   #13
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I once knew someone that ran 15psi on an M20 motor. He lowered the compression by reshaping the head chambers. His biggest problem was finding a reliable head gasket. They O-Ringed the block and bought many copper gaskets with different stud kits to find the proper combination. Marco from MAGNUS was tuning the motor... give him a call for more specific questions. Ask him about "Stefano's" car.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #14
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
I once knew someone that ran 15psi on an M20 motor. He lowered the compression by reshaping the head chambers. His biggest problem was finding a reliable head gasket. They O-Ringed the block and bought many copper gaskets with different stud kits to find the proper combination. Marco from MAGNUS was tuning the motor... give him a call for more specific questions. Ask him about "Stefano's" car.
Interesting... Although I still think that the M20 "should" be able to handle 15 psi (on a T4) stock everything... other then maybe some head studs and a new head gasket...

Although I'll be sure to talk to Marco next time he's out.. Thanx for the info.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

hmm, id like to see this done...

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: