Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Tried installing my Dinan front sway bar, problems!

Last night I decided I'd give it a shot and install my Dinan front sway bar. I jacked up the car and it looked easy enough. 2 bolts on each side securing the clamp for the bushings and 1 16mm bolt on each side for the endlinks.

I used a socket wrench to try to remove the 16mm endlink bolt. Holy hell, why are the bolts under the car sized up so badly? I could remove the bolts for my rear shocks, but not any of the sway bar bolts. I even used a 2m long metal pipe for leverage. The bolt didn't even budge!

Any ideas what I should do? My last resort is to bring it to Charlie (bimmersport) so he can use the airgun on it, but it seems dumb because the sway bar is so friggin easy to remove/install, minus the seized bolts of course.

I don't have a heat gun or anything, would a blow torch work? I tried WD-40, no luck either.

Oh yeah, what's up the the angled washers that come with the package? I couldn't figure out what those were for. Can I just use the original washers from the stock endlinks?

Ah, look how sexy the Dinan bar is, it's egarly awaiting to be installed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00023a.jpg (152.9 KB, 165 views)
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-29-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Do you have a propane torch? Plumbers use them for soldering copper pipes.....It doesnt get as hot, but it should make a difference.

If you dont know anyone with one goto home depo, they have tools for rent, they might have one.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by TrEvOrLiCioS
Do you have a propane torch? Plumbers use them for soldering copper pipes.....It doesnt get as hot, but it should make a difference.

If you dont know anyone with one goto home depo, they have tools for rent, they might have one.
I have a propane blow torch. It's a little one but I'm not too experienced with this sort of thing, is this my only option before I bring it to the shop?

Thanks,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 02-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Re: Tried installing my Dinan front sway bar, problems!

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ah, look how sexy the Dinan bar is, it's egarly awaiting to be installed....
What is so sexy about a bent blue bar that you can't even see once it's installed?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Spray some wd40 and let it sit overnight. Try again in the morning and it'll budge. The other solution is an impact wrench or air wrench as charlie suggested.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

I already sprayed half a bottle of that stuff on last night.. I'll try again tonight. Hopefully that solved the problem.

Thanks DJ.

If not, looks like I'll be at Chucks tomorrow

Anyone with a compressor want to help me out?!

Bry

Old 02-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
WASABI
OG

I'll bet ya there's loctite on the bolts. When I did my lowering springs I had a heck of a time taking the bolts off, and then noticed loctite on the bolts when I finally got them off with an air gun.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:33 AM   #8
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

1) Remove the nut that connects the end link to the control arm.

2) Once the bar is out of the car, go to Canadian Tire/Home Depot and buy one of the 4 feet gas pipes. It should fit over your socket wrench. Then it's just a matter of undoing the bolt.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #9
Soldo
6th Gear Member

i had the same problem when i was trying to fix my clutch. i had to remove my exhaust system, and the bolts WOULD NOT BUDGE...........had to saw em off, and then TAP the screw and pull it out, it was the biggest pain in my ass!!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:25 AM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
screw and pull it out, it was the biggest pain in my ass!!
You really shouldn't set yourself up for jokes like this.....
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:58 AM   #11
tiestoE36
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
Spray some wd40 and let it sit overnight. Try again in the morning and it'll budge. The other solution is an impact wrench or air wrench as charlie suggested.
i have come across this problem before. this idea with the WD40 is a good start, but after grab your torch and heat up the bolt with the WD40 still on it. if it is either lock tight or just rust this should do it.

PS it is obivously normal for the bolt to flare up a little b/c of the WD40 on it.
tiestoE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
1) Remove the nut that connects the end link to the control arm.

2) Once the bar is out of the car, go to Canadian Tire/Home Depot and buy one of the 4 feet gas pipes. It should fit over your socket wrench. Then it's just a matter of undoing the bolt.

SL
Both nuts were stuck, the endlink bolt was stuck, then I tried the other bolt attaching the endlink to the control arm, also stuck! I didn't even bothing trying to remove the bolts attaching the clamp to the bushing.

Actually, I already tried the pipe method. That was my last resort. I used a 2m long hollow steel pipe, and it still wouldn't budge.

Guys, I don't feel good playing around with a blow torch and lighting up WD-40 Sorry, I'm pussy, I think I'll bring it to Charlie's.

Thanks,

Bry

Old 03-02-2004, 12:06 AM   #13
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Both nuts were stuck, the endlink bolt was stuck, then I tried the other bolt attaching the endlink to the control arm, also stuck! I didn't even bothing trying to remove the bolts attaching the clamp to the bushing.

Actually, I already tried the pipe method. That was my last resort. I used a 2m long hollow steel pipe, and it still wouldn't budge.

Guys, I don't feel good playing around with a blow torch and lighting up WD-40 Sorry, I'm pussy, I think I'll bring it to Charlie's.

Thanks,

Bry
Didnt you ever play with hairspray and lighters when you were younger?
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:54 AM   #14
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

I've got the same frigin problem. I sheared two of the f'n bolts. I gave it a shot, now I going to the shop.

"I never try anything; I just do it. Wanna try me?"
hioctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Just came back from Chucks and had my front Dinan bar installed. Wow, what a difference! The car understeers a bit more, but not as much as I expected. When you mash the throttle hard in the corners the front end runs a bit wide, but there's virtually no body roll! I actually have more confidence taking corners at much higher speeds than before. I used the middle setting (2/3) which is geared towards neutral handling. It's really very good indeed. Bumps are a lot harder on the suspension now, and the left and right side feels more connected. The car is so much more responsive. I actually like the slight increase in understeer. The car is more controllable now. High speed statability is also improved. The steering wheel is much tighter, the wheels just seem to turn so well with the steering wheel. After all these mods, I'm so unimpressed with BMW's factory handling.

I'll probably just swap out the rear bar for the M3 one I have sitting in my basement.

Amazing, sway bars are expensive, but save up if you have upgraded shocks and springs. It will be the best investment you ever make!

Oh yeah, also saw richie rich at chucks!

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-02-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: