Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2004, 03:21 AM   #31
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by e24_635csi
same with the trunk with the 3 JL's
It looks nice but there is one negative factor about that setup. The subs are facing upwards. The problem there is that the bass won't be as good as a setup that has them facing towards you when you open the trunk. When the Subs move air, the air that the subs move bounces off the objects infront of them and goes in the opposite direction. In this situation it will just be going up and down, up and down hitting the roof of the trunk, and not bouncing into the car all too well. You'll still get bass, but not as much as the setup where they are facing towards you when you open the trunk. If it was setup facing someone when they open the trunk then it would bounce the air back into the car making it sound louder and more bassy.

MY ENGINE SWAP: HERE!

Life Is A Tough Teacher, It Gives You The Test Then The Lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
just do it once, do it right.
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 AM   #32
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch555
It looks nice but there is one negative factor about that setup. The subs are facing upwards. The problem there is that the bass won't be as good as a setup that has them facing towards you when you open the trunk. When the Subs move air, the air that the subs move bounces off the objects infront of them and goes in the opposite direction. In this situation it will just be going up and down, up and down hitting the roof of the trunk, and not bouncing into the car all too well. You'll still get bass, but not as much as the setup where they are facing towards you when you open the trunk. If it was setup facing someone when they open the trunk then it would bounce the air back into the car making it sound louder and more bassy.
I thought the best setup was when they face the trunk (away from the driver)?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:53 AM   #33
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
I thought the best setup was when they face the trunk (away from the driver)?

Oops... My bad! Thatz what I meant... I meant if your opening the trunk and they are facing you. Not if your inside the cabin of the car.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 AM   #34
mack_daddy
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to mack_daddy
Hey mitch man remember me the kid from cockpit? Well I thought I would show you some pics of the custom install that I did on my trunk. Unfortunatley I dont have pics of the completed work yet so I will show you some of the ones I do have for now:

The amp rack consists of 2 mdf panels, the bottom panel is the actual equipment rack the all of the gear is bolted to and it also serves as a top to the sub in closure for 2 ten inch woofers which now utilize the spare tire well as their home. The second panel sits on wooden shims about an inch above the the bottom board, its purpose is to hide all the wiring and connections to the amplifiers, eq, and fuse block and only allow you to the the top of each component through a plexiglass window. The best part of this setup is that when the stock carpet is in place its impossible to tell that there is even a system in the car and on top of that my trunk space still remains 100% usable.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/331507/1

Last edited by mack_daddy; 03-03-2004 at 07:54 AM.
mack_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:10 PM   #35
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by mack_daddy
Hey mitch man remember me the kid from cockpit? Well I thought I would show you some pics of the custom install that I did on my trunk. Unfortunatley I dont have pics of the completed work yet so I will show you some of the ones I do have for now:

The amp rack consists of 2 mdf panels, the bottom panel is the actual equipment rack the all of the gear is bolted to and it also serves as a top to the sub in closure for 2 ten inch woofers which now utilize the spare tire well as their home. The second panel sits on wooden shims about an inch above the the bottom board, its purpose is to hide all the wiring and connections to the amplifiers, eq, and fuse block and only allow you to the the top of each component through a plexiglass window. The best part of this setup is that when the stock carpet is in place its impossible to tell that there is even a system in the car and on top of that my trunk space still remains 100% usable.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/331507/1
For sure I remember you. Howz everything goin'? Your install is lookin' good. In all honesty do you think that Cockpit does good installs? I know you work there and of course you're gonna say "HELL YA!!" but in all HONESTY would you say they do A+ work? Dean is the one who makes the custom trunks right? How is he quality wise?

Quote:
Old 03-03-2004, 10:41 PM   #36
mack_daddy
1st Gear Newbie

Actually on the record I will tell you that even without dean cockpit does amazing installs, they were the ones who helped me through the majority of my install. They actually just did a bmw recently to, it was 330is i believe, they took out the entire back seat an replaced it with 2 new seat panels that they made custom out of vinyl and mdf, the bottom seat panel housed a katpion 2 channel amplifier that lit up from the bottom in blue neon, and in the back rest portion of the seat they installed 2 kaption 10 inch subs. The coolest part was that when you open the trunk you can even tell where the back of the sub box is because the contoured it to the shape of the trunk and carpeted it to match. It looked very slick. I would definatley trust cockpit with my car any day.

PS: I forgot to mention that on that bmw they did such a good job of building the seats that they didnt have to drill any new holes in the car or modify any interior panels, all the boards are self suporting and fit together like a puzzle, that way should the owner decide to sell the car he can simply remove the custom seat panels from the back and reinstall the original seats with no problems.

Last edited by mack_daddy; 03-03-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #37
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Actually on the record I will tell you that even without dean cockpit does amazing installs, they were the ones who helped me through the majority of my install.
What do you think of their work off the record?

Quote:
Old 03-05-2004, 05:39 AM   #38
mack_daddy
1st Gear Newbie

Actually what i meant to say originally was OFF THE RECORD their work is amazing. Plus they got this great new guy working for them who does custom work to.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:20 AM   #39
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Actually what i meant to say originally was OFF THE RECORD their work is amazing. Plus they got this great new guy working for them who does custom work to.
Kewl Man!

Quote:
Old 03-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #40
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

NICE SHIT
Old 03-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #41
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Even if the subs are facing the trunk shouldnt you put some sort of air port into the cabin?> no in the sub box per say but just so the air can pass thru into the cabin
Old 03-05-2004, 08:37 AM   #42
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

nice!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #43
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

Old 03-05-2004, 08:23 PM   #44
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase
Even if the subs are facing the trunk shouldnt you put some sort of air port into the cabin?> no in the sub box per say but just so the air can pass thru into the cabin
It would definitely help to get more bass into the cabin of the car.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2004, 09:44 PM   #45
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

You mean like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fabsbmw1998m3-001.jpeg (59.7 KB, 651 views)
Sickbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: