Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Wind
2nd Gear Member

How to make my 318IS faster

I just bought a very clean stock 1995 318 IS today with 84000 kms. I paid 12500 Canadian for it.

I was wondering what things i can do to make this car faster. All opinions would help. I don't wish to remove anything for "weight reduction" though.

Thanks for everyone's help
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
It depends on your budget really. There are a few options from getting your basic intake/exhaust/chip, to getting NO≤/forced induction/engine swap.

How much are you looking to spend roughly?

Just wait till Autotechnica to respond, he'll give you some more insight.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Wind
2nd Gear Member

I guess nothing too crazy.....about 2000 canadian.

What brand of intake/chip/exhaust should i get?

I'm not overly familiar with the brands and the things that i should get to maximize my gains of hp and torque. Since my car stock is 138...i'll be happy if i can get it to 175? or something around there with the least amount of money.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by Wind
I guess nothing too crazy.....about 2000 canadian.

What brand of intake/chip/exhaust should i get?
They're all pretty close to each other performance wise.

And intake you can honestly put together yourself for $100. There are a few guys here who have done it, a K&N cone filter, a homemade heatshield, and some fittings and stuff. It doesn't look that bad.

Exhaust depends on how loud you want your car to be I guess.

And for software, I believe MarkD here on max can burn a chip for you. Try PM'ing him.

Getting to 175hp might be a bit of a stretch with two grand without resorting to NO≤.

A lower geared differential (numberically higher) can make your car accelerate faster, but will kill your top speed, and makes your car rev higher at a given speed.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
I hope your car is on stick...
Your best bet is to put on some bolt ons and pick up a downing atlanta supercharger...
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

If you do the work yourself you can get an M50 engine swap done for that price...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
Quote:
Originally posted by Eurostyle
If you do the work yourself you can get an M50 engine swap done for that price...
I would consider that stupid,why not just resell and buy a 325 then...
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyvadim
I would consider that stupid,why not just resell and buy a 325 then...
I guess the car is in very good conditon, because for that price (12G's+) you can buy a 325is....
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:39 AM   #9
Wind
2nd Gear Member

the car is in very very good condition, very clean and such. It also has low kilometers and there's no accidents and no damage on the exterior. If i was to find a 325is...it would have been in pretty beat shape with high km's and not a 95, probabaly a 92 or 93.

I was looking at a TMS chip that my friend suggested. Is that alright?

What cold air intake should i get if i would like to buy one?

Exhaust wise and catback, i was thinking of supersprint.
It doesnt' matter how loud it is...i would perfer a low deep sound.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #10
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Bolt-ons really, really won't do much. Save your pennies for a while, then buy the Downing S/C when you can afford it. Enjoy the rest of the car for now.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I've done the Dinan chip, bored out throttle body, intake and heat shield and cat back exhaust. It shows some very respectable gains. Although I haven't dyno'd my car yet I have raced stock 318's. My car is significantly faster and has more grunt than even an auto 325. I wouldn't tell anyone with a 318 to completely give up on the motor. I'd be happy to give anyone a ride in my car to show what a few bolt-ons can do. It all depends on what makes you happy.

My advice is find a decently priced cat back exhaust system, make your own intake with a cheap K&N cone filter ($60-$80) then buy the Dinan chip. You won't be disappionted. If you're still not satisfied with the power output, get the supercharger once you save up. I don't think normal unexperienced people know how to swap their own motors and rewire the entire car. Don't forget with 318's you need new springs/shocks, exhaust, tranny, clutch, computer, engine mounts (requires modifications) and god only knows what else. I'd rather drive a slower 318 but have the reliability there. If you really want a 325, trade your car in and buy one, forget about the motor swaps. It's not a good idea unless you have a "ti". Just think of the 318 has a low powered, rev happy fun handling car. Enjoy!

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 03-03-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:03 AM   #12
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
If you want really noticable gains, save up for a turbo or install nos, end of story

All the other 'bolt-ons' will give you some gains, but dont expect a whole lot from them. It sure is fun though!

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:06 AM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Nah, Just ask Serge, he'll tell you the turbo for the 318 isn't worth it and just too much hassle.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:09 AM   #14
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I could say the same for my supercharger, but my opinion changes every time I step on the gas pedal

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: