Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy supersprint exhaust needs repair

of all the mods i've done (not many really) - my supersprint cat-back exhaust was well worth the money.... now after 2 maybe 3 years it's got a hole (approx. 1" dia)...

i need to take it to a muffler shop to see if it can be repaired properly... any shops in the west end (miss / brampton) that will do a good clean job??
sjinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

some pics

it's bigger than i thought... more like 3" x 1"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121_2164.jpg (85.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Doesn't SS have a lifetime warranty?
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

just for fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121_2166.jpg (73.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Doesn't SS have a lifetime warranty?
i'm pretty sure it's 3 years (maybe the stainless steel parts come w/ lifetime warranty?)

i looked into my files - i bought it in Sept 2000... 3 1/2 years ago
Old 02-28-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
phaust
whooop whooop

i have the same exhaust, with the same problem.. mine is less than your.. it's just under the "serial number? " plate.. a little piece of metal 2-3cm by 5-6cm..

look like it's the same place as your..
phaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Does Supersprint make non-stainless exist exhausts? Stainless steel doesn't rust right?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:11 PM   #8
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

cant u just patch up the hole with metal and weld it ?
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:42 PM   #9
ToBimer
3rd Gear Member

same problem here! mine is rusting, but theres no hole yet. it wont last long, i give it a year and a hole opens. i also would like to know if it can be patched up
Old 02-29-2004, 12:01 AM   #10
WASABI
OG

The only stainless steel SuperSprint made for the e36 was for the M3, which still fit non-M.

When my brother's car was towed, the towing company scraped his exhaust so bad that it put a hole on it, it was the size of a toonie. The body shop patched it up with a 3" square of stainless steel, his muffer is stainless steel.

That hole looks pretty big though. It's probably doable, but it'll probably rust again. Take it to a muffler shop, they can probably grind off all the rust to expose bare metal so they weld on it. You'd have to see if it's worth all the trouble though.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

i took my car to a Midas near my house... first the guy's like "Looks like you need a new muffler"

A**hole... how bout fixing it i ask - "Oh yeah you can do that too"

40 bucks to weld a plate to it and it should perform as intented before it eventually breaks again

i didn't go through the details right then and there but i need to determine what type of material to use (i.e., can i use galvanized steel... satin finish... or something similar to offer a level of rust resistant.... i'm pretty sure welding a stainless plate won't be an option
Old 02-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Mine is an ANSA and I'm starting to see some surface rust at the bottom. There's nothing you can do about it, the extreme heat really wears down the metal. It seems like the cheap aluminized mufflers from Magnaflow last longer than our Italian made exhaust systems. Oh well, please let us know how the exhaust system works out after you have the plate welded in. I'd be interested to know since I may be doing this soon someday. (fingers crossed)

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

[Oh well, please let us know how the exhaust system works out after you have the plate welded in. I'd be interested to know since I may be doing this soon someday. (fingers crossed)

Bry [/b][/quote]

OK here's the update (better late than never)

the hole was patched up by mig welding a plate over it and painting it w/ heat resistant muffler junk

it's been about 8000 kms and still looks good... sounds much better but it's still noticeable when i'm at a stand still

worth the effort
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0949.jpg (51.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
///M3
2nd Gear Member

stainless doesent usually rust... but it will rust around welds and if u give it alot of heat it might rust
///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 PM   #15
Adriano
Who's your daddy now?

Send a message via MSN to Adriano
Too bad you guys don't live near Windsor. I can tig weld a stainless steel patch no problem. Done it many times and only takes 20 minutes.

Agent BMW trailer
Adriano is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: