Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-28-2004, 05:32 AM   #1
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

Removed hood liner

My hood liner was pretty dirty so I removed it to clean it and put it back on, however when it was off I quickly drove the car around in the neighbourhood to hear if there is a noticble differance between engine noise now, and dammmm, the car sound nice, I can actually hear my engine now
So my question is will it do any damage to the car, cracked paint etc. as the hood get's warmer now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000712.jpg (104.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:33 AM   #2
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

Busy coming off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000713.jpg (118.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
HooliGaN*
GILF HUNTER

Send a message via ICQ to HooliGaN* Send a message via MSN to HooliGaN*
hrm i dont think so

there are alot of domestic cars aroudn here that dont even
have them

but dont touch ur hood after a long drive
haha

Julian
HooliGaN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #4
Phazer
2nd Gear Member

Completly off. Also I like the look of the hood liner off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000720.jpg (113.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Nope, it won't, I removed my hood liner when I bought my car (1.5 years ago), no problems yet, you'll hear more engine noise, that's about it.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
Nope, it won't, I removed my hood liner when I bought my car (1.5 years ago), no problems yet, you'll hear more engine noise, that's about it.
What's the benefit of removing the hood liner? Does it weight a lot or something? I thought it was there to protect the hood from the engine's extreme heat temps.

thanks,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
What's the benefit of removing the hood liner? Does it weight a lot or something? I thought it was there to protect the hood from the engine's extreme heat temps.

thanks,

Bry
No, it's light, and it's just there for noise reason. Think about the extreme heat on the right shock tower from the exhaust manifold, no issues there right?
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 02-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
No, it's light, and it's just there for noise reason. Think about the extreme heat on the right shock tower from the exhaust manifold, no issues there right?
But still, the hood is much thinner metal. I thought without the liner it would warp or something.

Just curious, why did you remove it? Louder engine?

Thanks,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 02-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
But still, the hood is much thinner metal. I thought without the liner it would warp or something.

Just curious, why did you remove it? Louder engine?

Thanks,

Bry
No warping, don't worry so much, lots of cars don't have it from factory. I removed it because I never liked the look of it, and the strut bar was compressing it. It's hot under the hood but not that hot to warp the hood. If that was the case no one would use carbon or fibreglass hoods.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
No warping, don't worry so much, lots of cars don't have it from factory. I removed it because I never liked the look of it, and the strut bar was compressing it. It's hot under the hood but not that hot to warp the hood. If that was the case no one would use carbon or fibreglass hoods.
Here's the thing though, I know people who have E36's with warped carbon fiber hoods. I'm worried

I guess the hood liner would also help to seal up certain types of aftermarket intake heat shields.

Was the engine significantly louder? From the auto-x vid your motor is much much louder than your exhaust.

Bry

Old 02-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Here's the thing though, I know people who have E36's with warped carbon fiber hoods. I'm worried

I guess the hood liner would also help to seal up certain types of aftermarket intake heat shields.

Was the engine significantly louder? From the auto-x vid your motor is much much louder than your exhaust.

Bry
I guess if you buy a crappy carbon hood, I doubt anyone with a Mashaw hood has had it warp yet.

And if you don't have an intake yet, just get one made with the heatshield made for the M3 LTW, it didn't have hood foam either.

And a little, i don't know, I'm usually inside my car when it's moving around at high rpm.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #12
hioctane
3rd Gear Member

It does look better with the liner off. I just vacuum mine when I detail the engine (and it's a pain). I might take mine off. thanks for the pic.

"I never try anything; I just do it. Wanna try me?"
hioctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:14 AM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

I couldn't resist. You guys made me

I took a nice 1 hour drive after that flying on the highway. My winter tires and brakes were smoking to ablivion but the hood was nice and cool. The motor was slightly louder, but not annoying. I'm glad I removed it. Parts of the hood liner were ripped and it wasn't tucking under the rubber hood seal properly anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00028a.jpg (254.8 KB, 72 views)

Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 AM   #14
SickFinga

M3 LTW came with no hood liner from factory, so it is a safe mod
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #15
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Looks good!
Now you guys need to put some mylar on the trapesoid like spaces under the hood to give it that cool mirror shine

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread