Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Question it's getting cold... heater problem

my heater display has been sporadically shutting off and on.... the heater konks out whenever the display does... today it went off on my trip from brampton to downton t.o. BRRRR!.... no problems on the way back though?

any ideas on what it could be and what i should look for?
sjinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
is it the heater that shuts off or the fan? does it work on the highest setting only? If so, then there is a resistor behind the control unit that has gone bad (common problem on e36).
If it's not that, then perhaps the control unit has a loose connection, or might be going bad. Let's just hope there's something loose and you can get it fixed fairly easily.

Also, if your windows are fogging up, or have an oily film on them, then your heater core is pooched.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the direction... i guess i can rule out the resistor problem as the heater doesn't work on the highest setting.... i'm hoping it's just a loose connection but i doubt it.... my ride is running close to 200,000 km... i guess it's time the "fun" begins

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
is it the heater that shuts off or the fan? does it work on the highest setting only? If so, then there is a resistor behind the control unit that has gone bad (common problem on e36).
If it's not that, then perhaps the control unit has a loose connection, or might be going bad. Let's just hope there's something loose and you can get it fixed fairly easily.

Also, if your windows are fogging up, or have an oily film on them, then your heater core is pooched.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Turkish
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Turkish
sounds like you need to pull it out and have sniff around behind the switch mate!

Join my new site now!
www.bmwz.co.uk
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
JDub
3rd Gear Member

The same thing happened to me on the weekend. I turned on my heater and the display dimmed down. Came back on and then shut off. I was on my way to my mechanic when this happened so I got him to check it. It was my thermostat so I got it replaced and so far it's been ok.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
Alwysfresh

If the display is turning on and off on it's own it's probably heater control unit...same thing happened to me when I first bought my car. It's a pretty common problem on these things. I thought it happened again a few months ago so I got my old one rebuilt, but it turned out to be the final stage unit (the display stayed on this time, but the fan had a mind of its own). My bet is that it's one of the two. I'm trying to get rid of the rebuilt unit I have sitting here if you're interested...I'm in Mississauga if you want to drop by we can try it out to see if it fixes your problem. I paid $220 to get it rebuilt, so we can work out a better price than that. They're over $400 new from the dealer. Let me know (cell is 416-803-5725 if it's easier).
Alwysfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the advice guys....i'll have the thermostat checked out first... if my mechanic suggests there may be an issue with the control unit - i'll be in touch

Quote:
Originally posted by Alwysfresh
If the display is turning on and off on it's own it's probably heater control unit...same thing happened to me when I first bought my car. It's a pretty common problem on these things. I thought it happened again a few months ago so I got my old one rebuilt, but it turned out to be the final stage unit (the display stayed on this time, but the fan had a mind of its own). My bet is that it's one of the two. I'm trying to get rid of the rebuilt unit I have sitting here if you're interested...I'm in Mississauga if you want to drop by we can try it out to see if it fixes your problem. I paid $220 to get it rebuilt, so we can work out a better price than that. They're over $400 new from the dealer. Let me know (cell is 416-803-5725 if it's easier).
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

who's your mechanic?..

Quote:
Originally posted by JDub
The same thing happened to me on the weekend. I turned on my heater and the display dimmed down. Came back on and then shut off. I was on my way to my mechanic when this happened so I got him to check it. It was my thermostat so I got it replaced and so far it's been ok.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

djcontra.... i read in one of your posts that you had your bad final stage resistor repaired...

where can i get that done?... i'm pretty sure that's the problem - the dealer sells a new resistor for $127 parts only

thanks for your help bro

[quote]Originally posted by djcontra

[/QUOTE
Old 02-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
4life
2nd Gear Member

My blower was not working on mine a few weeks ago. The display was fine but no heat at any fan speed, tested some circuits and it turned out to be the final stage unit, took me about 1 hour to replace.

for the guy who's display dimmed and then his mechanic changed the thermostat, who is your mechanic, so that I NEVER bring my car there!!!!
4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:57 PM   #11
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
sjinto: I sent you a pm

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
sjinto
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
sjinto: I sent you a pm
got it
Old 02-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #13
JDub
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4life
My blower was not working on mine a few weeks ago. The display was fine but no heat at any fan speed, tested some circuits and it turned out to be the final stage unit, took me about 1 hour to replace.

for the guy who's display dimmed and then his mechanic changed the thermostat, who is your mechanic, so that I NEVER bring my car there!!!!
Well, I knew I had to get the thermostat fixed since my engine temp guage wasn't going to the middle and that was the source of my heater not working. NO problems since.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: