Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #16
themadhatter
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to themadhatter
excellent post - I'm about to do the same project on my car but probably with a homebrew adaption kit.

have you had a chance to hit up a dyno before and after the M50 setup?

-Ron

'98 332is Frankenbimmer | Rogue Engineering | AC Schnitzer | BMW Motorsport | Victor | Active Autowerk | Kosei | Porsche
themadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by themadhatter
have you had a chance to hit up a dyno before and after the M50 setup?
Nope, sorry. I don't think I'll be hitting the dyno until after I get my M3 cams installed.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #18
themadhatter
1st Gear Newbie

alright, I'll probaby have a set of 3.2L cams when Eurospeed get's the Shrick cam software public.

if you're having trouble sourcing a set, you may want to call them and Turner up to see if they have any laying around.

either way, I'd really like to see what your worked 2.8L can do, sounds like a trip.

-Ron

'98 332is Frankenbimmer | Rogue Engineering | AC Schnitzer | BMW Motorsport | Victor | Active Autowerk | Kosei | Porsche
Old 04-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #19
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
alright, I'll probaby have a set of 3.2L cams when Eurospeed get's the Shrick cam software public.

if you're having trouble sourcing a set, you may want to call them and Turner up to see if they have any laying around.

either way, I'd really like to see what your worked 2.8L can do, sounds like a trip.

-Ron
I already have the M3 cams in my possession. I got them from a from a guy on bf.c.

The cams and a 3.38/3.46LSD (still gotta buy) are hopefully going to make my car pretty quick.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 PM   #20
themadhatter
1st Gear Newbie

you're gonna have a blast with that 3.38/3.46.

I have an associate on bfc/dtm who builds diffs - his sn is diffsonline if you're looking for a 'new' diff with zero miles.

I have a 3.38 in my 332is, it flies. you can't go wrong with either one.

-Ron

Old 04-12-2004, 11:32 PM   #21
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

thinair.. won't you need to port the head on the M52 to smoothly open it up to the larger M50 ports??
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
you're gonna have a blast with that 3.38/3.46.

I have an associate on bfc/dtm who builds diffs - his sn is diffsonline if you're looking for a 'new' diff with zero miles.

I have a 3.38 in my 332is, it flies. you can't go wrong with either one.

-Ron
As much as I'd love to get that diff, I just don't have the budget for the diff. I've spoken to him about it already. Unless I find a used 3.46, the 3.38 is my only hope.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
thinair.. won't you need to port the head on the M52 to smoothly open it up to the larger M50 ports??
The head is already ported from the factory to the M50 manifold. It's messed up, the size of the ports on the M52 manifold is way smaller then the port on the M52 head. Don't ask me why.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #23
themadhatter
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
The head is already ported from the factory to the M50 manifold. It's messed up, the size of the ports on the M52 manifold is way smaller then the port on the M52 head. Don't ask me why.
you're one of a handful of people that actually know that. everyone else 'plans on doing it' to their M52/S52.

good call thinair.

the size of the ports on the M52/S52 manifold are smaller to increase torque in low and mid rpms with a sacrifice to high power. this sacrifice was offset with the larger displacement motors (except the 323is which was 2.5L). by upgrading to the M50 manifold, you will lose the low end torque made possible with the narrower M52 manifold passages but gain incredible breathing capacity in high rpm situations.

more breathing = more air+more fuel = mo'powa!

-Ron

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: