Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Finally installing my M50 manifold

Well, to start let me say I have no digital camera and I really wish I did so I could do a proper write up or something.

Today I spent some time trying to remove the stock intake manifold off my engine. It looks pretty easy judging by the online DIY's and the Bentleys Manual. It's a little more involved I guess, thing get tighter in real life then how they look in pictures.

To start I already had the valve and fuel rail covers off. I removed the intake elbow connected to the throttle body, the HFM, the alternator cooling duct, and unbolted the throttle body from the manifold.

The 2 bolts came off holding on the fuel rail and injectors, and it pulled right off the manifold.

I then removed the 7 nuts holding the manifold to the block, and the two bolts holding the manifold to the manifold support brackets.

This is where things got interesting, I removed the vacuum line to the brake booster, the crankcase vent tube, and lifted the manifold a little to get some access under the manifold. I had to remove the front manifold support off the block too. There are two small vacuum lines that were a pain to get out, and I had to unbolt the thing that is connected to the crankcase vent and the ICV. Undo a bunch of hose clips and sensor plugs and it came out. I think it took me like an hour and a half just to remove it.

I managed to drop one nut that was holding the manifold on. Until now it's still reported missing.

Tomorrow I'll try to install the M50 manifold with the Eurospeed hoses/install kit and hope everything works and that I don't get a CEL.

Then swap software with the M50 chip.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
what is the M50 intake..and what advantages does it have...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

obd1 cars already coem with a m50 manifold so u got nothin to worry bout.
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 AM   #4
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
oh..i see.....
so its just a gain on the OBD2 cars...
is the OBD2 manifold more restrictive or something
Old 02-24-2004, 05:33 AM   #5
mkgino
6th Gear Member

yes
Old 02-24-2004, 06:52 AM   #6
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
try and hookup the ICV before installing the new manifold because it's a pain in the arse to install while the manifold is on the car. ( I hurt my wrists pretty bad reaching under the manifold to connect the hoses before)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
try and hookup the ICV before installing the new manifold because it's a pain in the arse to install while the manifold is on the car. ( I hurt my wrists pretty bad reaching under the manifold to connect the hoses before)
Will do, thanks I'm going to try to clean it before I reinstall it too, maybe shoot it with some brake cleaner or something.

And regarding the M50 manifold vs. M52 manifold, look below:

M50 on the left, M52 on the right. The runners on the M52 don't even get close to the gasket.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."

Last edited by thinair; 02-24-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I suggest picking up a can of "intake medic" to do the job. That stuff cleaned out my entire intake manifold, and ICV as if they were new again. It's great stuff.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
JazzM
6th Gear Member

nice job thinair... let us know how it works out! btw, I got a code reader if you get any CEL's and need them cleared.

Thanks,

T.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, i finally got off my ass and finished installing the manifold.

It took a while actually, but I got it to work. I turned the car on and got no check engine lights which is good, even after letting the car idle for like ten minutes. I'm not taking my car out on the road as of yet. This is the first time that I acutally cringed when I turned the key, just waiting for something to go wrong, and I don't know why.

All I have to do now is swap the chip with the M50 intake manifold program.

The only thing that has me scared is that one of the valves (in cyl 5 or 6) are ticking now and I don't remember it doing that before. I thought it was maybe from me not starting the car in a couple months, but it never went away after letting the car idle.

I might have to pull the manifold off again and make sure nothing fell into the intake ports I'm going to pull off the fuel rail/injectors first to see if I can look down there, but i dunno. If there is something there I hope it's not small enough to fall into the combustion chamber. Maybe I'm just worried.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #11
98323IS
6th Gear Member

Keep me posted dude I want all the details!
98323IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:54 PM   #12
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

You found that nut right?
If not, don't bother looking to hard, just get to work taking the head off.
You didn't do any cam work did you?
Sometimes the hydraulic lifters will make a little noise if you haven't fired it up for a while. Hopefully that's it.

Glad everything went O.K. BTW how much did Eurospeed charge for the kit?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:26 PM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 97 Z3 2.8
You found that nut right?
If not, don't bother looking to hard, just get to work taking the head off.
You didn't do any cam work did you?
Sometimes the hydraulic lifters will make a little noise if you haven't fired it up for a while. Hopefully that's it.

Glad everything went O.K. BTW how much did Eurospeed charge for the kit?
I haven't looked yet, hopefully tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the lifters or something, I need to go buy a thin magnet grabber thing to put down the injector port tonight. The one I had was too big. I might just pull the manifold off again if i can't find a thin magnet tool.

No cam work yet, supposedly my M3 cams are in the mail.

The Eurospeed kit was like $1000CDN for the software, hosekit, and to get the ECU socketed; and that doesn't include the manifold itself. They can be bought for under $200CDN.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Ok, i think i got everything taken care of, except the software, which I'll do whenever. I let the car warm up in the driveway and took it for a quick rip around the block.
It was mostly a ride to derust the brakes and to listen for hissing noises (vacuum leak).

No vacuum leaks, and no check engine lights. I'm happy.
The ticking is still there. I ran compression tests, 190psi on all minus cyl 4 and 5. I got 178psi. I'm gonna have to look into that. Maybe I will pull the head after all when I get the cams installed
Old 04-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, just here to update. I took my car for a nice hard drive today. The manifold and software did make a noticable difference.

My car pulls harder past 4000rpm, but it feels like I did lose some of the lower end torque. It's not Honda like, but it just doesn't feel as strong at 2000-3000rpm as it did before. Hopefully the cams will make up for the loss of torque.

Basically the manifold just moved the powerband higher into the revs, which isn't exactly great for auto-xing, but oh well. I'm happy.

It's also nice not having a speed governer (not that I'm ever going to get anywhere near that speed ), and the rpm limiter raised to 7000. I still shift at 6500 though, but it's nice not to hear that limiter boucne the revs anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: