Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I want to remove my tint

What's the best way to remove my tint? It was professionally installed previously on my car before I purchased it. It's not a spray, it's just stuck on, but it's stuck on really hard. I want some opinions before I attempt it on my own and make a mess of things.

I'm removing only the front because it's way too dark. I can't see a thing in the night.

Thanks,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-14-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

hmmmmmmmm, what about just swapping windows with me?!
or someone else for that matter!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
hmmmmmmmm, what about just swapping windows with me?!
or someone else for that matter!
wtf? That would be 100 times more work. Last time I removed the window arms it frustrated the hell out of me. Reinstalling the glass on the rails is also a pain in the ass. Very difficult to aline.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
A little off-topic Bryan, have you been to the track with tinted windows? Did you get hassled?

My tip, open your door, spray your window with WD-40, and set it on fire.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
A little off-topic Bryan, have you been to the track with tinted windows? Did you get hassled?

My tip, open your door, spray your window with WD-40, and set it on fire.
Wow... great idea Nelson! Maybe you can demonstrate it on your windows first

I haven't tracked this particular car yet. I've tracked my '92 318 but it had very very light tint (only 30%). No hassles on that car. I've auto-x'd my '94 318 obviously, but I didn't know that tinted windows were a concern at the track. I don't really care about tint or how "cool" my car looks, so I really want better visability, so removing the tint is a must. I'm surprized cops haven't stopped me for it yet. It's like 80% tint. A week ago my mechanic drove my car into the garage. I couldn't see a damn thing. The whole car was black and it was real sunny outside too.

Bry

Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
app
5th Gear Member

There is an edge you can always start at. Start from an edge and work your way in. Usually if it was put on well, it can almost peel off in a sheet.

I used adhesive remover from shoppers drugmart (you'll have a ton of sticky glue after you remove the tint. I also used a razor blade scrapper. That started enough so I could peel most of it.

You're screwed with the rear window though. Reason is this: You have to use a razor and get in between all the defrost lines. Because if you feel the tint, it will peel the defrost. Now, I was really damn careful trying to remove my tint and my rear defroster didn't work. Now I don't know if you can buy just a rear defroster (all those black lines) or if you need a whole new rear window.

I hope this helps you out. I did this on my nissan. The bimmer doesn't have tint on it currently.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Call a tint shop. I heard that oven cleaner will work. But the back window my be something you should get a professional to do. Unless you dont care about defrost.Razor blades can scratch the glass aswell.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I'm surprized cops haven't stopped me for it yet. It's like 80% tint.Bry
do u mean 20% ? the percentage represents how much light is let through the tint... so 80% would be VERY light.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #9
3-Series
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 3-Series
to remove window tint, you should line the tinited side of the window with a black trash bag and spray amonia on tint. Tape the egdes of the back so that it forms a seal. After around 30 minutes to an hour, the adhesive will be undone and you can remove the tint with a razor scraper.
3-Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
beammer12000
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to beammer12000
tint removal

thats true the best way to take the tint of is start at a corner and peel it slowly then use a razor to get the glue off. you will also need water with soap and spry it on the window before you start so it soaks in to the tint or a heat gun to soften it up. or i can do it for $30 some work involved. so p.m me.

Your Nobody Unless You Drive A Bimmer
beammer12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks for everyone's help.

Koncise, the other way around then. 20% now and 70% before.

Anyways, I only want to remove the front tint, not the rear. So the defrost lines won't be a problem. I'll try the razor blade first and see if I can just peel it off. If not, I'll use the amonia.

Where the heck can I buy just amonia?

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #12
gotkabab
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to gotkabab
u can get amonia at any hardware store...If i were u i'd leave the tint. It looks tight on a black bimmer...
gotkabab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #13
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Either way he can always put a light factory light tint on it later
Old 02-14-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
I never have a car without a window tint,i even get my windshield tinted......i just cant stand people grillin me like i got a dick on my forehead.Sometimes people look at the car and then look at me and give me this "hater" look......so annoyin!
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:01 PM   #15
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

i took the tint off mine....just start at a corner and use a blower dryer or something that blows hot air and when the corner starts to peel a little just rip it off quickly cuz if u do it slow it leaves glue on the window. good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: