Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2004, 02:00 AM   #16
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

hey digitaql wave yr car is very pimp n clean keep it up
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 AM   #17
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

I only say this out of experience. I have seen 3 versions of the 2.0L E36 head 2 i have seen personally and one was in BMWscene magazine it had 200 out of the same motor. Once again i have seen this.

Mufflers are for looks and sound. Exhuast systems is the path that carbon dioxide leaves the car. By changing a 1 1/2 inch pipe to a 3 inch pipe with no cat converter and a more direct root, horsepower will rise. The faster it can leave the car the faster more fuel can enter the cylinder chamber faster. but that doesn't increase output, oh wait yes it does.

you would be suprised what a new o2 senser could do. Years of carbon build up doesn't make electronics work better.

like every part on a car, if it was made to take out it was made to where out
BimmerKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:43 AM   #18
chromius
6th Gear Member

to clear up a few things.....Cold air intake sounds nice and helps throttle response, however makes no noticable difference in performance on an e30....I know that from experiance because I have one, the MAF is the restriction...
exhaust adds at a max 5 HP on a 88 325 super e and 325is, I have seen the dyno results, it may be slightly more on a 325e if you upgrade to dual pipes but not much....and yes removing the cat will free things up a little more but the car will no longer pass emmisions. and contrary to popular belief a car does require some amount of exahust back pressure or it will run like crap, and reducing the ammount of exhaust back pressure will not allow air and fuel to enter the cylinder faster because during the intake stroke the exhaust valves are closed anyway, so it would make no difference, reducing backpressure only makes it easier for the piston to move up during the exhaust stroke and get the spent fuel air mixture out of the cylinder faster.

With that said a aftermarket exhaust does sound really nice.

Last edited by chromius; 02-19-2004 at 03:51 AM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 AM   #19
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

i'll worry about the emmissions test when it comes i guess don't see it anytime soon i took it out after it was inspected
Old 02-20-2004, 12:00 AM   #20
Digitalwave
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BimmerKris
I only say this out of experience. I have seen 3 versions of the 2.0L E36 head 2 i have seen personally and one was in BMWscene magazine it had 200 out of the same motor. Once again i have seen this.

Mufflers are for looks and sound. Exhuast systems is the path that carbon dioxide leaves the car. By changing a 1 1/2 inch pipe to a 3 inch pipe with no cat converter and a more direct root, horsepower will rise. The faster it can leave the car the faster more fuel can enter the cylinder chamber faster. but that doesn't increase output, oh wait yes it does.

you would be suprised what a new o2 senser could do. Years of carbon build up doesn't make electronics work better.

like every part on a car, if it was made to take out it was made to where out
O2 sensors will NOT make an increase in the dyno, because when at WOT the O2 sensor goes into open loop mode anyways. A faulty O2 sensor is always in open loop mode, so there is no difference.

chromius, E30's have AFM's, not MAF's. That is the problem. A MAF is a good upgrade.

Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #21
dansciol
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dansciol
Quote:
I'm lookin for someone who knows from experenice. I have heard from many sources that an i head on an e block is not what everyone makes it out to be. It make output worse. I have already had the head planed 30thous and it bumped compression to 9.5:1. You can't reach that with an i block. In fact the only head that will add power to an e block is a head off an E36 2.0 motor. That will raise up to 30 hp. This i know for a fact. It's just not cheap.

As for exhuast i have that done already. I totally rebuild the motor, doin little things to it that freed up power.

the dyno read 138 hp
with 185ft/lbs of torque
that was with a faulty o2 senser

i have also heard from many sources (including BMW) that cool air intake is one of the best things you can do to the motor. when These cars came off the line BMW purposely restricted airflow and exhaust to make the motor quieter.

what have you guys done to your cars to improve performance? I know what can be done. I am more curious to see what is worth doing

You got 138 hp and 185 ft/lbs out of an eta????
What exactly did you do to it??
dansciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:21 AM   #22
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitalwave

chromius, E30's have AFM's, not MAF's. That is the problem. A MAF is a good upgrade.
sorry mixed up the terms...but you know what I ment.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:18 AM   #23
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dansciol@hotmai
You got 138 hp and 185 ft/lbs out of an eta????
What exactly did you do to it??
When we rebuild the motor just did little things

re honed the chambers
shaved 30thou off of the head compression is at 9.5:1
shaved every area as much as possible for flow
i.e. bored intake openings, exhaust manifold, etc.
removed ac pump (who needs it)
custom exhuast: ran from the manifolds to a hollowed out flowmaster, which creates the feeling of a short exhaust, then runs out a 3 inch pipe to a ractive high flow muffler witha four inch opening. (but i tucked that up so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

just restored it basicly the guy i had helping me is a mechanical genuis and came up with some need stuff
Old 02-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #24
rwh11385
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to rwh11385 Send a message via Yahoo to rwh11385
Quote:
Originally posted by Digitalwave
The best upgrade to get HP is an engine swap...

Also, when chips claim a 28hp gain, its not a PEAK gain. Like if your car has 125hp a chip doesn't make it 153hp. The gains are in the mid range, and the peak gains are small. Like on an M20B25, chips claim a 15hp increase. Well, that is at like 4,400 RPM. You actually only gain 2-3hp at the peak, making it go from 168 to 170-171 theoretically.
TJ is right.

Etas are designed for gas mileage and there are not many upgrades that will make them much better. A JC Chip is good, and some find it good to swap to 325i stock exhaust, i intake manifold, i throttle body...i camshaft and springs..... see a trend? Just swap in an 325i engine....or build a budget 2.7i or 2.8i stroker motor. Or swap for M50. Don't waste much money/time on the M20, e, i or otherwise.......

Chips do make a 15hp gain on 325i's.....but it is only at a certain point on the curve. Based on reliable resources, the chipped 325i engine makes 177hp, 177ft-lbs.....or 9hp gain at the peak, at the crank......

but don't be fooled by claims of 15hp for an Cold air intake....and don't be foolish to spend a lot of $$$$ on a M20. Build up a cheap stroker (eta block/323 head, 325i w/ TD crank and pistons to work, etc) or get a cheap turbo setup. Or swap to the 24V M50........
rwh11385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 PM   #25
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

I still won't be told that that the 2.7 is not a good motor. The way i have it know with just the simple mods that i have done i am running 0-60 in 7.8 sec all motor. I am not sure what a i models are running but a have beaten a number of them already. I'm sure once i get the chip, intake, and evenually the headers ( just for shits and giggles) it will be a pretty peppy motor. I have done all the tests and expereanced all the results.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #26
rwh11385
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I still won't be told that that the 2.7 is not a good motor. The way i have it know with just the simple mods that i have done i am running 0-60 in 7.8 sec all motor. I am not sure what a i models are running but a have beaten a number of them already. I'm sure once i get the chip, intake, and evenually the headers ( just for shits and giggles) it will be a pretty peppy motor. I have done all the tests and expereanced all the results.
never said it wasn't a good motor. It just isn't performance goaled. 7.8 isn't that fast at all, really, but more than a second faster than stock. If you're building up an eta, swap in an i cam and springs, find a chip that will work, and get an I exhaust, and i manifold......

http://www.strictlyeta.net/articles.html

read this article:

150hp peak HP with eta and i cam.....good upgrade.

Check out R3vlimited.com if you haven't, we acknowledge etas are slow and tell you how to make them better.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:18 AM   #27
Digitalwave
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwh11385

Chips do make a 15hp gain on 325i's.....but it is only at a certain point on the curve. Based on reliable resources, the chipped 325i engine makes 177hp, 177ft-lbs.....or 9hp gain at the peak, at the crank......
Wrong. The HP gains are in the mid-range. I have seen the dyno charts. The gain AT THE PEAK is about 3-4 hp, which would be like 172hp. You might be confused because the maximum gain of the chip (which is in the mid-range) is about 9whp.

Stock 5 speed 325i's should be able to do low 7 seconds 0-60... under 7 with the right bolt on mods.

Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:21 AM   #28
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

7.8 sec may not be fast but these were runnin 10 sec 0-60 stock. any motor can be made to perform. each in it's own way. the i motors are more conventional so they have the same ways as every other motor to gain performance. By adding i compontents the only thing that is happening is higher rpms are trying to be reached. Instead of trying to get more rpms you have to work with the rpms that the car is designed for. Thats why the chip will be more effective in an e block. All the power is made between 2000 and 4500 rpm. you have treat this motor like a desil and work on mid range power not peak. i'm not saying that the e block is better then an i block, but when people say that it is not made to perform. Well neither is the i block. if they wanted perfomance out of a 3 series model they would all have m3 motors or whatever. After market parts don't mean shit to a dealership. You can make any motor perform, even though most are already made for what they are supposed to do
Old 02-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #29
rwh11385
1st Gear Newbie

TJ, first off, i said "Based on reliable resources, the chipped 325i engine makes 177hp, 177ft-lbs.....or 9hp gain at the peak, at the crank......" This was a source that was NOT Dinan, but I can't find it right now. I might email Jim Conforti and see if it by chance has dyno graphs, or that new chip guy Mystical (Jay) knows.....

How many M20 dyno runs have you seen for stock, thus + chip. Make the car was just not in optimal conditions.

From a post from SlammedE30, Ted, he said
Quote:
For a little more info, my M20B25 with just a JimC chip made 150rwhp and 150 rwtrq.
With 1.17 factor, it converts to 175.5. And that is with 100K miles. I do not know what dyno it was done on, but I could find out.,

I wish I had a free day next week to take my car after it is repaired to the Illinios chapter CCA Dyno day. I could run stock vs. chip right after the other and get some dyno results for the chip. But I'm not free, nor want to spend $50 to complete this unneeded task......

Maybe later this summer if I can get in cheaper and I'm free. Easy enough to remove the chip temporarily.

BimmerKris, Have fun with your eta.

Last edited by rwh11385; 02-21-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #30
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

yeah this stirred up a lot of shit so i'm just gonna keep on keepin on and stick to my original plan. To have a quick economical sweet looking ride. guess i'll find out the gain when i install that stuff anyway

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: