Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #31
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
Don't cheat yourself....TREAT YOURSELF!









G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #32
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lakefield, ON
Posts: 1,892
Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
Compare it to whatever else you could get for $5,000 more and ask yourself if it's worth it.

If you wanna give me $40K, I will give you my 2000 540i/6 with 70K, BMW Certified Series, fully dealer serviced.
__________________
2010 BMW 335D - Many mods to come!
1BADRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #33
MarkD
Banned
 
MarkD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In Your DME!
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
If he just needs a car to drive arount 330ci

No, then he'd get one of those things you were driving a few months ago!

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #34
vaio76109
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX, Rolla MO
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to vaio76109 Send a message via Yahoo to vaio76109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEE$
The 540i is a freight train, that seems to never stop pulling in the acceleration category. It's downright fast.

Anyone who would want a 330 after driving a 6spd 540(and could afford either) is mashed in the head. It's 5 times the car.
The 540 has a poor top end(rev band wise). After 4500rpms or so it starts pulling considerably less.

Like a said before, the 540 will win a straight line, but a 330 will slaughter it in the corners. The 540 is not 5 times the car.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:57 PM   #35
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,769
Have you driven either car? The 540i with the M-Sport Package handles awesome for a big car. With some stickier (and wider) rubber, a thicker roll bar in the back, and some balls it handles awesome. My Dad had a 328i but now he has a 540i, the 540i definately isn't go-kart snappy a la 3 series, but boy o boy does she pull.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #36
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
What in the world are you saying? What does the rev band on the highway have to do with anything if you're pushing big hp and torque at a pretty decent rpm? If I'm in 4th gear on the highway with my 540, at say 4k rpm, it has enough power to propel the shit out of it. They are ONLY highway monsters...not off-the-line drag cars. I don't really get what point you were trying to make. Ever been in a vette on the highway, or most 5.7L V8's? You think they're reving higher than 6k? Of course not...because they don't have to, just like the 540i. Big power, in low-mid range revs. The fact is you don't have to drop a gear in a car like the 540i because it produces such great torque through virtually all the stock rpm range. That V8 is an absolute BEAST on the highway, through and through. It really is that much better of a car.


*edit-I've driven both...and the 540i is in a different league alltogether, but it should be for the price difference.
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #37
vaio76109
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX, Rolla MO
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to vaio76109 Send a message via Yahoo to vaio76109
Yes I have driven both. I have a 2001 330Ci 5 speed, my dad has a 2002 540i 6 speed(with sport package which was standard).
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #38
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
[quote=Axxe]Have you driven either car? [quote=Axxe]


That's EXACTLY what I was wondering too.





G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #39
vaio76109
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX, Rolla MO
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to vaio76109 Send a message via Yahoo to vaio76109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEE$
What in the world are you saying? What does the rev band on the highway have to do with anything if you're pushing big hp and torque at a pretty decent rpm? If I'm in 4th gear on the highway with my 540, at say 4k rpm, it has enough power to propel the shit out of it. They are ONLY highway monsters...not off-the-line drag cars. I don't really get what point you were trying to make. Ever been in a vette on the highway, or most 5.7L V8's? You think they're reving higher than 6k? Of course not...because they don't have to, just like the 540i. Big power, in low-mid range revs. The fact is you don't have to drop a gear in a car like the 540i because it produces such great torque through virtually all the stock rpm range. That V8 is an absolute BEAST on the highway, through and through. It really is that much better of a car.


*edit-I've driven both...and the 540i is in a different league alltogether, but it should be for the price difference.
What im saying is that the 4.4 doesnt pull as smoothly as the 3.0 does. The 4.4 has a lot of low end, put no top end. The 3.0 has it more evenly spread out...
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #40
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Yes I have driven both. I have a 2001 330Ci 5 speed, my dad has a 2002 540i 6 speed(with sport package which was standard).

Then you would know that they're not even remotely close to being on the same playing field.


The 330 is a sick car, no question about that. I love it.





G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:05 PM   #41
vaio76109
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX, Rolla MO
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to vaio76109 Send a message via Yahoo to vaio76109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEE$
Then you would know that they're not even remotely close to being on the same playing field.


The 330 is a sick car, no question about that. I love it.





G$
No they arent and im not saying they are.
540 has speed(not saying is doesnt handle well)
330 has handling(not saying its slow)
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #42
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
What im saying is that the 4.4 doesnt pull as smoothly as the 3.0 does. The 4.4 has a lot of low end, put no top end. The 3.0 has it more evenly spread out...


I guess I've just never heard anyone say that the 540i has no top end. It's news to me. If you're declaring that the 330 can physically rev higher, than I cannot argue with that on any level. But big deal...so does the Type R. And?

All I know is that our V8's can produce insane speeds from anywhere between 3k and 6k rpm





G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 PM   #43
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
No they arent and im not saying they are.
540 has speed(not saying is doesnt handle well)
330 has handling(not saying its slow)

I can agree with all 3 of those statements.




G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #44
vaio76109
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX, Rolla MO
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to vaio76109 Send a message via Yahoo to vaio76109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEE$
I guess I've just never heard anyone say that the 540i has no top end. It's news to me. If you're declaring that the 330 can physically rev higher, than I cannot argue with that on any level. But big deal...so does the Type R. And?

All I know is that our V8's can produce insane speeds from anywhere between 3k and 6k rpm
Im not talking about revving higher, im talking about having top end HP(4500+rpm). The dyno graphs below will explain it all...
Thats a 330 with a chip(hence the 6500rpm, 6000 is stock), notice how is HP increases steadily


Thats a 540, notice how the HP almost falls flat at 4800rpm

Last edited by vaio76109; 10-29-2004 at 03:27 PM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:35 PM   #45
GEEE$
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Burlington
Posts: 648
I understand what you're saying, but it's somewhat irrelevant.

Like I said earlier, a Type R produces great power at the upper most part of the rev range...but it's still no match for a car with big hp and torque at a moderately decent rpm range.
The graph shows that the 540 drops off much quicker than the 330, no question about it(and it's just common sense)...but what I'm getting at is what does it matter?

It's a moot point, talking about where the rpms fall off when you're comparing a 330 to a 540, because the 540 is always going to be infront. The answer is torque.



G$
GEEE$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.