Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
What's a good all season budget tire?

Looking to spend $150-$200CDN per tire. It's for my 17" motorsport wheels. I'm looking for 225/45/17.

No Hankooks ventus or Kumho's.

I've tried Yoko AVID H4's (no good, grips only when new, very unpredictable, side walls give out too quickly), Hankook Ventus plus (total crap, car runs wide all the time, even when tires are new, no grip), Conti-touring eco plus (good, predictable, may buy again)

New tires only, suggestions and personal experiences please!

For the time being I need a comprimise between comfort and track. I'm not a serious tracker yet so a set of decent tires will be all that's required. Tread life, tire noise and predictability are key.

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-09-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Re: What's a good all season budget tire?

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I've tried Yoko AVID H4's (no good, no grip, handles like crap), Hankook Ventus plus (total crap, car runs wide all the time, even when tires are new, no grip)
thats because they're all seasons...after driving the E30 with all seasons, i never felt safe TRYING to go a lil fast..even in a straight line lol

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: Re: What's a good all season budget tire?

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
thats because they're all seasons...after driving the E30 with all seasons, i never felt safe TRYING to go a lil fast..even in a straight line lol
That's pretty stupid. You don't need ZR rated tires to have grip. Hankook Ventus plus were like $260 each and rated ZR's and they handled worse than any other all season tire I've driven on.

A good all season tire will easily out perform a crappy ZR rated summer tire.

I've driven a 330ci 5 speed to the limits using the conti-touring eco plus tires and they grip quite well, very predictable. So how is it that you can't drive straight with your car with all season tires? Did you get motormaster tires?

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 02-09-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Gamite

why do you want all season? Get some nicer rubber. I dunno bout kumho's, mine wore down so fast. Maybe cuz of weight of my car? I dunno. But they were cheap, I'll give it that.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
why do you want all season? Get some nicer rubber. I dunno bout kumho's, mine wore down so fast. Maybe cuz of weight of my car? I dunno. But they were cheap, I'll give it that.
Tight budget. I've spent waaay too much money in the past few months.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Gamite

I'll give you my old kumho's for free. the ones on the front.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Sumitomo HTR+
jmalixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
I'll give you my old kumho's for free. the ones on the front.
Thanks, but I've already got a set of bald Hankook's. Plus, I have a feeling 18" tires won't fit.. duh

Old 02-09-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by jmalixi
Sumitomo HTR+
price? Are those all seasons? Sounds like an expensive track tire.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

All-seasons are bad year round. And don't you have seperate winters? I don't understand why you would waste that wonderful suspension setup on no-seasons.

Here's what I recommend:

Yokohama ES100 - $112US

Kumho Ecsta MX - $120US

You can't go wrong with the ES100's, they are an all-around solid tire. The MX's are excellent too, nothing at all like the rest of the Kumho line. The MX's are a bit more hardcore, they will ride firmer and wear quicker than the ES100's, but there is always a compromise.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #11
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I also recommand the Yokohama ES100, from some of my friends response, they think it's a great wet/dry tire, best bang for the buck

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:21 AM   #12
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
price? Are those all seasons? Sounds like an expensive track tire.
Go to tirerack.com and get price and read reviews. Last time I was looking for one it was US$80 per tire. It's all seasons... that's what you're looking for, is it not?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:23 AM   #13
jmalixi
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Quack
I also recommand the Yokohama ES100, from some of my friends response, they think it's a great wet/dry tire, best bang for the buck
I have ES100s and I guarantee you it's downright dangerous in the snow. Mine are 3 months old and I can't get up and down the driveway with them. I had to switch back to my 4 year old Dunlop SP2000s just so I can use my car every once in a while this past month.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 AM   #14
Gamite

He has winter tires. So don't worry bout that.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:52 AM   #15
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Haha, I don't understand why you hate Kumho tires that much. If you're on a budget they do the job and they perform better than All Seasons. I've ran them like 3 times in the auto-x last season and tread wear is still fine. They feel rock solid when I take them up to 200km/h, but now it feels wobbly because of my bent rim on the lip. I haven't tried any highspeed (100km/h+) tire screeching cornering, but how often do you drive that crazy in Toronto anyways.

Lastly, it's obvious that you won't use the Yoko ES100's in the snow. I don't get why people try using summer tires in the snow, especially when the level gets deep, you're only asking for trouble.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: