Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
bmwboy88
3rd Gear Member

Validation

Hi Everyone,
I got back my car from the shop last night. I spoke to the mechanic who worked on my car and had an interesting discussion. He told me that once in a while, rev your engine close to the redline to ensure that carbon deposits are burned off. He told me that BMW engines are built to withstand high rev and it is actually good for the engine to rev it to the red line. I'm not mechanic but I've alway been told not to rev the car too high as it produces stress on the engine. So when I told him that, he says BMW engines are performance engines and the valves needs to be rev hard once in a while to ensure the proper performance. He also told me that if I don't do this once in a while, over time, the engine will become sluggish. Is this true?
Should I rev my engine to burn off the carbon deposites and to ensure maxium performance in the engine?

Please confirm....
bmwboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
WASABI
OG

You achieve the same when you drive your car hard once in a while. Not redlining it though and only when it's up to temperature. This is actually good for emmision tests as well.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
chromius
6th Gear Member

Redlining it isn't bad once in a while, and I can assure you they can take it, but thats not the best way to get rid of carbon buildup in my opinion.....I find the best way is to take a long highway road trip and get the revs up, so drive like 120-130km/h at least for a good while, you will be surprised.

The other thing you can do to keep the carbon buildup from occuring in the first place is when getting out of slow driving conditions, ie traffic, drive in a lower gear for a while, like up at 3000-3500RPM that will keep things nice and clean...in fact in my manual BMW reccomends doing that when comming out of traffic.

When I drove down to bimmerfest last summer I drove like 1300km in one day all on highways at around 130-140km/h and at the end of that trip my car had never felt better, the engine was running so smoothly, the engine felt brand new and it has 265000km on the odo! It really does work.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Sunapollo
3rd Gear Member

yes I heard the exact same thing from a reputable car tuner ... I was told to get into highway and ran with high rpm (I usually go for 5000rpm) for few minutes ... and I do this every month ...
Sunapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
bmwboy88
3rd Gear Member

Good to know...as soon as the snow melts, I will take the car out and do some high revs.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

hmmm thats good info to know gotta do that , but what would you think would happen if i started doing that every day?

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

how would you do this with a auto car?
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Mikester