Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2004, 04:36 PM   #16
Sylak
2nd Gear Member

Fo my 325E i use premium fuel 91 octane. I got a Jim c chip.
For my 325I i use regular. the engine is complety stock and run like a new despite his 260 000km! last summer i try 91octane juste to see if the engine run better and it change nothing at all. so for my I regular is ok ( and she's a best performer tah me E and use cheaper fuel lol)
Sylak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
Digitalwave
2nd Gear Member

I run 93 octane, its $1.99 a gallon down here. I have a chip, and in the hot Florida weather, my car will ping without 93 oct.

Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #18
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitalwave
I run 93 octane, its $1.99 a gallon down here. I have a chip, and in the hot Florida weather, my car will ping without 93 oct.
This is a must see for you then. Here is a 3-month comparison chart of gas prices in Toronto vs. Miami, in your units:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipboard.jpg (62.9 KB, 104 views)

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #19
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
This is a must see for you then. Here is a 3-month comparison chart of gas prices in Toronto vs. Miami, in your units:

I wonder if there is any need for the insane jumping around of the gas prices in toronot?

I use 91 octane.. chip or no chip, I think it better to stick with one octane rating and one brand then to switch around every time you fill up.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #20
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yeah, to add to what Slowered pointed out and to the thread in general, I always use Shell 91 in my car. I have a chip, and from the day I put it in I was running Sunoco 94. About a month back I was passing the Shell station near my house and it was CHEAP. So, I filled up. I never put a thought to it, but the first time I merged onto the highway I felt a difference. I went back to Sunoco for 1 tankful, and sure enough it slowed the car down.

The fact is, use the minimum rating your car is set up for.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:57 AM   #21
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

Send a message via MSN to felixthecat
you should always fill up at the same station!
felixthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #22
bmdoubleya
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SebSter
i have a chip so i put 94 whenever i can, 91 if i run out and cant find a sunoco around

though, even before getting the chip i experimented a bit and found i got more mileage with higher octane fuel..then again maybe it was just my imagination
Have u tried shell 91??? I find it works better then the 94
bmdoubleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:44 AM   #23
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

I use 93 octane on my car, I heard it helps keep everything running better cleans all the pipes and will give me better gas mileage

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #24
NickP

93/94
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #25
Digitalwave
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bimmerdude
I use 93 octane on my car, I heard it helps keep everything running better cleans all the pipes and will give me better gas mileage
Please tell me how higher octane fuel is going to "clean your pipes"?

The fact of the matter is, unless your car is setup for high octane (with a chip), then you aren't going to gain anything by using higher octane. Not even better gas mileage. More realistically you would lower your gas mileage since the higher the octane, the harder it is for your car to ignite.

Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #26
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

Send a message via MSN to felixthecat
ive tried that sunoco or is it shell?that 94 octane ,no impovement in performance,but a hell of a lot more stink to it(it would've burt your eyes if you were following me)
felixthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #27
jps
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jps Send a message via Yahoo to jps
I cant believe americans have not upgraded their refinreies to be able to porduce 98 octane!

I'm in Australia and I think its pathetic we deont have ours upgraded to have an octane rating of over 100 jsut like that japenese!
jps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #28
Skunk#1
6th Gear Member

all cars can accept 15% ethanol, but you wouldnt want to run that all the time. it will "dry out" the rubber in the pump and injectors, etc. the octane, i might be wrong, does nothing execpt prevent detonation. that is why cars that run high compression from the factory (suburbans even say to run at least the plus gas) say to use premium fuel. my land cruiser has 11.5/1 compression and i have to run 92 plus an octane booster just to get it to stop pinping (that is in texas where is gets up to 115F). i put it in the bimmer only because it has the non us pistons that have 9.2/1 compression. it can run on plus fuel but not the reg., it pings to much. basically diesel's use compression to "fire" and petrol cars use a spark. the higher to compression the easier it is to combust when there is heat (that is why if your engine has a lot of carbon you can "Diesel" the motor when turning it off or the motor pings after it heats up, or in turbo cars the metal edges have to be filled down to prevent preignition. all this causes hot spots). most of the time all cars can run on 87. it is a complete waste of money to say "its an old car so i have to run premium fuel in it." unless its a muscle car, some of those had 16/1 compression. chips are running higher octane because they advance the motor to get power and it will ping if they dont. you wont notice anything and if you do it is all pschological. i can take my motorcycle and put race fuel in it and notice the difference because it has 12.5/1 compression, i can put race fuel in my land cruiser and not really notice the difference. WHY? because even though race fuel has higher octane it is designed to burn a certain way and has to fulfill many different compression ratios, but even then you notice what, 5hp max difference, i hate to break it to ya'll, you wont feel that unless you and the car way as much as a motorcycle. so if you only gain 5-10hp with race fuel, and trust me you do that for racing every .001 sec counts, but on the street you say that you feel the difference, how come people pay 5-7 dollars/gal for race fuel when they could buy premium fuel and feel the difference? there is no way unless you were chipped, but this is to the "stock" cars.
Skunk#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #29
bimmerdude
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitalwave
Please tell me how higher octane fuel is going to "clean your pipes"?

The fact of the matter is, unless your car is setup for high octane (with a chip), then you aren't going to gain anything by using higher octane. Not even better gas mileage. More realistically you would lower your gas mileage since the higher the octane, the harder it is for your car to ignite.
sorry dude thats just what i heard

Viva BMW!
Thanks E46_Lover for the awesome sig
My ///M5 fund has begun estimated time : 2 years

BMW M Power
bimmerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #30
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Actually Bimmerman, you aren't 100% wrong, Sunoco 94 has detergents in it that are very powerful in removing build up in the injectors. Three tanks of 94 in the e30 and the start ups were a lot smoother.

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: